The Room Where It Happened, by John Bolton

Hard to either cheer or blame Bolton. 

He actually did speak up at the time, at least in the form of planned leaks that let everyone know Bolton was not happy with the President's decisions. The feud between Bolton and Pompeo was common knowledge. He quit very publicly, yet another conservative who couldn't abide Trump's incompetence and chaos. Bolton was willing to spill the beans during the impeachment hearings -- when it mattered most -- but the House didn't wait for Bolton's clearance and the Senate decided not to allow witnesses. 

On the other hand, Bolton's biggest problem with Trump was that the President lacked the discipline to be the dangerous warmonger he wanted. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bolton was willing to spill the beans during the impeachment hearings -- when it mattered most -- but the House didn't wait for Bolton's clearance and the Senate decided not to allow witnesses.

I'm not sure it's fair to give Bolton the benefit of the doubt with this characterization.

He was threatening to sue if subpoenaed but the House and tie the thing up in court but was willing to comply with a Senate subpoena which he knew would never be issued. In other words a worthless pledge.

I appreciate his speaking out NOW - better late than never - but his primary motivate seems most likely to be holding out because he thought he could monetize this either directly (through book sales) or later via speaking fees. Which, one one hand seems selfish and on the other completely, utterly human.

Whatever. Maybe all of this being dredged up now ultimately hurts Trump more. Particularly if the House issues a subpoena NOW.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bolton was willing to spill the beans during the impeachment hearings -- when it mattered most -- but the House didn't wait for Bolton's clearance

He threatened to sue. It would have taken months if not years through the courts. He wasn’t willing. He could have shown up just like his aides did. 

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'm not sure it's fair to give Bolton the benefit of the doubt with this characterization.

He was threatening to sue if subpoenaed but the House and tie the thing up in court but was willing to comply with a Senate subpoena which he knew would never be issued. In other words a worthless pledge.

I appreciate his speaking out NOW - better late than never - but his primary motivate seems most likely to be holding out because he thought he could monetize this either directly (through book sales) or later via speaking fees. Which, one one hand seems selfish and on the other completely, utterly human.

Whatever. Maybe all of this being dredged up now ultimately hurts Trump more. Particularly if the House issues a subpoena NOW.

This is all true. Bolton doesn't deserve the benefit of any doubt. 

The timing of Bolton's revelations last fall were definitely designed to hurt Trump and promote his book. Bolton had clearly cast his lot, knowing his future as a conservative commentator, Fox guest and AIPAC speaker was over. But I wonder if he worried about being a savior to the liberals he truly despised, and/or whether Congressional testimony would undermine book sales. 

• Plus1 2