OWH Camp Countdown

10 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Interesting choice. I'm not convinced Cerni will even be the starting punter (or make it to the States) this year over Przystup.

I'd be moderately surprised if he gets here and doesn't win the job. Those rugby dudes know how to kick, and nothing against Przystup but I feel like people forget he was a 5th string walk-on at MSU. He stepped in and performed well enough when they got hit with injuries, but he averaged about what Armstrong did last year. He's probably gotten better, but if Cerni's nearly 5 second hang times are legit and he can hit the ball consistently he's going to run away with it. The fact that this is enough to make the list shows how bad special teams have been.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'd be moderately surprised if he gets here and doesn't win the job. Those rugby dudes know how to kick, and nothing against Przystup but I feel like people forget he was a 5th string walk-on at MSU. He stepped in and performed well enough when they got hit with injuries, but he averaged about what Armstrong did last year. He's probably gotten better, but if Cerni's nearly 5 second hang times are legit and he can hit the ball consistently he's going to run away with it. The fact that this is enough to make the list shows how bad special teams have been.

I'm hopeful the reports on Cerni are true as well; however, he hasn't been around the game of football that long and I think it might take a year of adjustment. I know he's "just a punter" but there is still a bit of feel for the game at the position (including catching the snap and getting punt off with a live rush coming at you) and nerves at this level.

36 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I'm hopeful the reports on Cerni are true as well; however, he hasn't been around the game of football that long and I think it might take a year of adjustment. I know he's "just a punter" but there is still a bit of feel for the game at the position (including catching the snap and getting punt off with a live rush coming at you) and nerves at this level.

True, but I think Rugby prepares you well for catching and not being intimidated by live tacklers as well. But it is a different game, so we'll see. Potentially a better tackler than most punters too! I'd be fine if it's Przystup as well, I don't think Armstrong was bad if that's the level he punts at - just need some consistency, his bad punts seemed like they were always at the worst times.