Huskers add former 4* Tackle Ezra Miller as transfer from Iowa

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?  No matter what, he's paying for a year.  He can just as easily play this year as a walk-on and get a scholarship next year.

Point of clarificatly - does the 4 game rule apply to transfers? If that's the case, I could see him sitting this year (playing 4 games) and learning the scheme.  But, to not play because of scholarship doesn't make sense to me.

I guess he could. Sitting out makes much more sense to me. He's a 3 for 4 and playing him in '20 doesn't help with balancing the roster imho. We lose Jaimes, Wilson, Farniok and Gaylord after this season, and we can probably count on some members from our '19 class moving on, be it by their choice or the coaches. It may seem counterintuitive but we don't really need him this year for better or for worse.

Edit: The 4 game rule would not apply here since he took a RS for '19 if I can recall.

Guess we'll agree to disagree here.

• Plus1 2

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Point of clarificatly - does the 4 game rule apply to transfers? If that's the case, I could see him sitting this year (playing 4 games) and learning the scheme.  But, to not play because of scholarship doesn't make sense to me.

Any year can be a redshirt year and I believe the four game rule applies to anyone.  There was talk that Pickering could use a redshirt year after he missed most of this past season and Jaron Woodyard was able to count this past year as a redshirt year because he only played in four games.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Any year can be a redshirt year and I believe the four game rule applies to anyone.  There was talk that Pickering could use a redshirt year after he missed most of this past season and Jaron Woodyard was able to count this past year as a redshirt year because he only played in four games.

But Miller wouldn’t be able to use the 4 game rule if he was forced to sit out this year as a transfer. That’s what BRB seems to be asking. The traditional transfer rule makes that player ineligible for a year, which he can use a redshirt season (if he still has one) or he loses a year of eligibility. 

• Plus1 1

Just what the doctor ordered. As far as I'm concerned offensive linemen are a skill position. Everything we want to do starts there.

Seeing the chain of events and changing explanations, I'm wondering if this is exactly the kind of guy we'd say "good luck but good riddance" to if he was flipping from Nebraska to Iowa. 

Also I don't know why a good OL get means we'd cool on any other promising lineman. I honestly don't think we're overstocked. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just what the doctor ordered. As far as I'm concerned offensive linemen are a skill position. Everything we want to do starts there.

Seeing the chain of events and changing explanations, I'm wondering if this is exactly the kind of guy we'd say "good luck but good riddance" to if he was flipping from Nebraska to Iowa. 

Also I don't know why a good OL get means we'd cool on any other promising lineman. I honestly don't think we're overstocked. 

Well, let's see if we are stocked at lineman. Not trying to play gotcha just trying to provide some insight. 

Seniors- Gaylord, Jameis Farniok, Wilson- 4

Juniors- Sichterman, Bando, Trent Hixon(should renew his scholarship)- 3

Sophomores- Cam Jurgens, Nouili*( will get a scholarship imo) W Farniok, E. Miller*(if he is on scholarship)- 4*

Redshirt Freshman- Anderson, Lynn, Banks, Benhart, Piper, Fritzsche- 6

Freshman- Conn, Corcoran- 2

2021 Class- Yager, Lutovsky, Prochazka-3

Possible commits- Mbow, VanDeMark-possibly take 1

So even without 2021 we are at 19. Nouili has a scholarship waiting for him and Miller is too good to not get one anytime soon. In total my numbers are at 19. Without Nouili and Miller we are at 17. We are exactly where we need to be in terms of lineman as you need a three deep plus a few more for development. This is not counting a few walk-ons who will provide solid depth as well. I would argue we are on the brink of being overstocked, but we can't just throw out many more scholarships to lineman. Other spots need to have good depth as well. In my view, we are pretty full but that is just my take on things as other positions need help- such as linebacker. 

*Pending scholarship as we are under and can give a few away.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But Miller wouldn’t be able to use the 4 game rule if he was forced to sit out this year as a transfer. That’s what BRB seems to be asking. The traditional transfer rule makes that player ineligible for a year, which he can use a redshirt season (if he still has one) or he loses a year of eligibility. 

Yes.  I thought he was asking if he were eligible could he still play in four games and redshirt.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Well, let's see if we are stocked at lineman. Not trying to play gotcha just trying to provide some insight. 

Sophomores- Cam Jurgens, Nouili*( will get a scholarship imo) W Farniok, E. Miller*(if he is on scholarship)- 4*

So even without 2021 we are at 19. Nouili has a scholarship waiting for him and Miller is too good to not get one anytime soon. In total my numbers are at 19. Without Nouili and Miller we are at 17. We are exactly where we need to be in terms of lineman as you need a three deep plus a few more for development. This is not counting a few walk-ons who will provide solid depth as well. I would argue we are on the brink of being overstocked, but we can't just throw out many more scholarships to lineman. Other spots need to have good depth as well. In my view, we are pretty full but that is just my take on things as other positions need help- such as linebacker. 

If I had to throw out some names that might departure I could see W. Farniok moving on, Lynn is young but he might get buried (I know he’s young I just like some other guys more), and I could see Sichtermsn going the grad transfer route if he gets beat out.

13 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Yeah, I can see how you'd want to be careful recruiting promising young linemen if you've already amassed a lot of promising young lineman. Competition is great, but you don't want to waste talent or scholarships. Still have to find out who can deliver.

We haven't been great or deep at OL for so long that I get a little carried away. 

• Plus1 1

I’ve already expressed my hopeful feeling about the improvement of the O line from recent standards (bottom 1/3rd of Big Ten) to maybe in the middle this fall.  Thats progress.  A good jump.  But we are far from top two or 3 in the league, consistently.  From there, we try to take the jump to “the pipeline” level of top five nationally, regularly.  

We are NOT there and, in my humble opinion,  we keep recruiting the best we can get until we are.  O line and D line are most important parts to restore the order.  Essential.  More important than WR, RB, etc.   

I might say get three deep 15 who are Big Ten starter capable.   Maybe we are closer than I think because we havent seen it yet.  

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We haven't been great or deep at OL for so long that I get a little carried away. 

Oh, to have the days of the pipeline again.  This was what made us Nebraska.  I agree with your post - OL are skilled positions. We need as many high quality OL as we can possibly add to the roster.   This transfer from Iowa fits the type that Frost has been looking for  - tall, long, strong, athletic 

On 6/24/2020 at 3:23 PM, Ziebol said:

Huge get. This explains the cooling on Mbow. 

Can you share why this is a "huge get" in your opinion?  I realize the phrase is not original to you.  I read that he was the #1 OL in Iowa that year.  I also read that of the class that was committed at that time, he was vocal more and recruiting others to the team.  I still can't understand if he really had back issues at all ... or it was a cover-up for what some say are the racial issues from that particular coach.  Anyway, if he is a "huge get", just curious as to why and how much better you and others think he is over Mbow.

Here's an old article I found that stated a bit of info on him ...
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football-recruiting/2017/06/26/iowa-football-recruiting-2019/429066001/

Additional question to others ... it doesn't appear that we offered this guy ... but he was the #1 OL recruit in Iowa and we give out 400 offers per year it seems ... so just wondering if we offered or he was locked up early before we could offer?

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Additional question to others ... it doesn't appear that we offered this guy ... but he was the #1 OL recruit in Iowa and we give out 400 offers per year it seems ... so just wondering if we offered or he was locked up early before we could offer?

After reading this, I looked at his 247 profile, & think the answer is obvious :P

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Can you share why this is a "huge get" in your opinion?  I realize the phrase is not original to you.  I read that he was the #1 OL in Iowa that year.  I also read that of the class that was committed at that time, he was vocal more and recruiting others to the team.  I still can't understand if he really had back issues at all ... or it was a cover-up for what some say are the racial issues from that particular coach.  Anyway, if he is a "huge get", just curious as to why and how much better you and others think he is over Mbow.

Here's an old article I found that stated a bit of info on him ...
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football-recruiting/2017/06/26/iowa-football-recruiting-2019/429066001/

He was an Iowa guy all the way...like he literally said "I AM GOING TO PLAY AT IOWA" so he didn't get tons of offers.