Huskers add former 4* Tackle Ezra Miller as transfer from Iowa

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I still can't understand if he really had back issues at all ... or it was a cover-up for what some say are the racial issues from that particular coach.

If you missed it on the first page, he left due to depression and anxiety.

EYjADKTXgAQwQn0?format=jpg&name=large

23 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Can you share why this is a "huge get" in your opinion?  I realize the phrase is not original to you.  I read that he was the #1 OL in Iowa that year.  I also read that of the class that was committed at that time, he was vocal more and recruiting others to the team.  I still can't understand if he really had back issues at all ... or it was a cover-up for what some say are the racial issues from that particular coach.  Anyway, if he is a "huge get", just curious as to why and how much better you and others think he is over Mbow.

Here's an old article I found that stated a bit of info on him ...
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football-recruiting/2017/06/26/iowa-football-recruiting-2019/429066001/

Additional question to others ... it doesn't appear that we offered this guy ... but he was the #1 OL recruit in Iowa and we give out 400 offers per year it seems ... so just wondering if we offered or he was locked up early before we could offer?

1. His upside is leagues above Mbow

2. He is a walk-on so there is 0 risk. 

3. He is coming from our “rival” and was a kid who was basically all Iowa.

4. It has been confirmed it was a mental break he needed. Lot of stuff happened to this kid in a short amount of time.

5. #1 kid in Iowa who was a Hawkeye fan and shut it down early = no posting of other offers

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

1. His upside is leagues above Mbow

2. He is a walk-on so there is 0 risk. 

3. He is coming from our “rival” and was a kid who was basically all Iowa.

4. It has been confirmed it was a mental break he needed. Lot of stuff happened to this kid in a short amount of time.

5. #1 kid in Iowa who was a Hawkeye fan and shut it down early = no posting of other offers

#5 is key - if you truely care about the team that you have committed to then you don't feed egos of other team's and show any signs of waiver (now that can back fire if the relationship goes south) hope all goes well for him here.

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

So why weren't there more offers the second time around after he entered the portal? From the sound of it, other than us it was just lower division schools offering.

14 minutes ago, Toe said:

So why weren't there more offers the second time around after he entered the portal? From the sound of it, other than us it was just lower division schools offering.

I think the portal is just sort of different (especially for football), it is like buying a used car compared to a new car.  

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Toe said:

This is part of why I was asking for more context to the "huge get" type comment.  I kinda like how @teachercd put it ... feels like a "used car" to me more than a "huge get".   No offense intended to Ezra Miller at all.  Enjoyed your input @Ziebol.  Certainly a fresh scenery will be good.  I'll be watching to see how his feet and quickness in that area can be transformed. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

This is part of why I was asking for more context to the "huge get" type comment.  I kinda like how @teachercd put it ... feels like a "used car" to me more than a "huge get".   No offense intended to Ezra Miller at all.  Enjoyed your input @Ziebol.  Certainly a fresh scenery will be good.  I'll be watching to see how his feet and quickness in that area can be transformed. 

You can say used car about 99% of transfers, this situation is not that. It’s a huge get because you are getting a 4 star recruit to essentially walk on and use a scholly on a different position this year. You are pulling a kid out of Iowa who was the #2 player in the state when he was recruited. You are getting a kid who many experts have said is a p5 starter and NFL upside talent to come in for no risk at all. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if in the future you see Miller-Corcoran-Jurgens-Piper-Benhart as the OL of the future. 

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

You can say used car about 99% of transfers, this situation is not that. It’s a huge get because you are getting a 4 star recruit to essentially walk on and use a scholly on a different position this year. You are pulling a kid out of Iowa who was the #2 player in the state when he was recruited. You are getting a kid who many experts have said is a p5 starter and NFL upside talent to come in for no risk at all. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if in the future you see Miller-Corcoran-Jurgens-Piper-Benhart as the OL of the future. 

I meant "used car" as in...not as attractive.  Transfer portal is like JC kids...for some reason...they don't get as many tinder matches.  

• Plus1 1

Miller had offers from the whole B1G, including tOSU and us.  He had offers from OU, Oregon, USC and some SEC schools as well.  He was the Oline MVP at The Opening in San Francisco in '19.   The kid is a very good get for us. 

• Plus1 6
19 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I read on a reddit thread that Brian Ferentz said he had the worst stance ever.  

I can see his stance and feet being big improvement areas for sure.

teaching a better stance cant be a monumental deal.  if thats his issue, Austin wont have much to “fix” on this RSF. Presumably, hes already been worked with on this last year.