CB Lardarius Webb, Jr. [Jones Community College - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You may very well be correct.

Last year, Nebraska got 9 four star players. Currently, Nebraska is sitting at 2 for 2021. Assuming a class size of 22 or 23, 7 of the final 10/11 players need to be consensus 4 star players. Possible, but we're falling dangerously behind pace. 

I agree that COVID hurt Nebraska more than other schools, as our national recruiting strategy does rely more heavily on official visits than other schools. 

Who cares if we are on pace with last year? Until we have a 4 star product on the field and don't constantly get whipped by Wisconsin and Iowa, who we've out recruited for the past decade, what does winning the offseason get us? Having more 4 stars on the roster and still getting boatraced makes us look even worse. It's time for development and some wins, the recruiting rankings will follow. If the on field wins don't come, none of it matters.

• Plus1 2

4 star guys we got towards the end of the cycle: 

Manning, Fleming, Francois, Brown, Greene, Mauaga-Clements 

4/5 we didn’t have much as a warning that they were interested/being recruited (as fans) until they basically committed/homecoming stretch of their recruitment 

We’re gonna be okay. Especially if we have a season. 

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You may very well be correct.

Last year, Nebraska got 9 four star players. Currently, Nebraska is sitting at 2 for 2021. Assuming a class size of 22 or 23, 7 of the final 10/11 players need to be consensus 4 star players. Possible, but we're falling dangerously behind pace. 

I agree that COVID hurt Nebraska more than other schools, as our national recruiting strategy does rely more heavily on official visits than other schools. 

Might not fit your narrative, sorry in advance... 

Recruiting isn't linear. Pacing is a poor way of looking at it; it is a convenient mental model, but doesn't map well here. 

Nebraska signed 4 of those four star players on or within a week of their signing day (Greene, Francois, Fleming, Brown), maybe there are more, I stopped looking. The big fish wait to sign, that's the name of the game... if you're not patient, following recruiting is going to be rough. 

Edit: Lol should have refreshed the page, what Decked said. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Might not fit your narrative, sorry in advance... 

Recruiting isn't linear. Pacing is a poor way of looking at it; it is a convenient mental model, but doesn't map well here. 

Nebraska signed 4 of those four star players on or within a week of their signing day (Greene, Francois, Fleming, Brown), maybe there are more, I stopped looking. The big fish wait to sign, that's the name of the game... if you're not patient, following recruiting is going to be rough. 

Edit: Lol should have refreshed the page, what Decked said. 

I do understand.

I want Nebraska to be successful. But hoping for a repeat of last seasons finish - our best signing day in recent memory - isn't the best route to take. 

You might be fine hoping that 70% of the remaining recruiting class will be four star players, but that is unlikely. Without recruiting 8 to 10 such players per year, Nebraska has little chance to win the B1G. 

We can take that discussion to the regular recruiting thread if you'd like, so as not to derail this one any further.

42 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Without recruiting 8 to 10 such players per year, Nebraska has little chance to win the B1G. 

Let's start with our first winning season in 4 years, and then we can move on to beating Iowa and/or Wisconsin for the first time in 5+ years, and then we can see how our recruiting is going and then think about maybe winning the B1G

• Plus1 3

3. Nebraska found a sleeper in LaDarius Webb Jr.

Farrell’s take: FACT. I know he looks small on film and could be smaller than the listed 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, but the bloodlines lead me to believe this is a prospect worth taking a chance on. His dad, LaDarius Webb Sr., was also a bit undersized, but was still fast and strong enough to be drafted in the third round and carve out a nice nine-year career in the NFL. Dad played safety and was known as a guy who can run and liked to hit and his son has some of those same traits.
He’s moving to Mississippi so he can be coached and developed by his father. Webb Sr. played with Nebraska defensive backs coach Travis Fisher briefly with the Ravens and is unlikely to sell him on his son without a lot of truth in the mix. Remember Webb Sr. was a skinny two-star corner out of Alabama back in 2007 and turned out to be much better than that. The same could happen for his son.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Webb is an interesting prospect. He comes from good football stock, he has very impressive junior film and now he’s going to be playing at Jackson (Miss.) Jackson Academy after being in Alabama for his junior season. He is quick, smooth and dynamic but the new Nebraska commit will have to gain some weight to have a huge impact in the Big Ten against physical receivers. I like his chances and I wouldn’t be surprised to see SEC schools to make a run at him.

Rivals

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Wordek said:

Y'know it wasn't that long ago there weren't recruiting rankings and people trusted their coach's scouting abilities.

True, but now there are recruiting rankings and they're pretty good at their job as well. I think this is a case of people getting too upset before he's even rated, but as a fanbase we've been burned by a lot of low-rated "diamond in the rough" signees. I don't have a problem questioning why we're taking a low ranked kid, as long as it's the actual ranking and not just that he hasn't been rated yet. Webb is the latter, and seems like a good take to me.

To their credit this staff actually seems to be doing well with the lower rated guys in their classes, and this year in particular is one where the ranking services can't really do a lot of what they need to be accurate. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

True, but now there are recruiting rankings and they're pretty good at their job as well. I think this is a case of people getting too upset before he's even rated, but as a fanbase we've been burned by a lot of low-rated "diamond in the rough" signees. I don't have a problem questioning why we're taking a low ranked kid, as long as it's the actual ranking and not just that he hasn't been rated yet. Webb is the latter, and seems like a good take to me.

To their credit this staff actually seems to be doing well with the lower rated guys in their classes, and this year in particular is one where the ranking services can't really do a lot of what they need to be accurate. 

I dont know if I would go as far as to say this in terms of their overall ability to evaluate talent.  I guess you can say based on the scope of what they are asked to do they do well, but overall they dont have enough time to see all these kids and really evaluate. Add to that that they use the camps a lot to evaluate and they havent had them this year.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.  He kinda seems like a Cam Taylor-Britt type on a lot of levels. 

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I dont know if I would go as far as to say this in terms of their overall ability to evaluate talent.  I guess you can say based on the scope of what they are asked to do they do well, but overall they dont have enough time to see all these kids and really evaluate. Add to that that they use the camps a lot to evaluate and they havent had them this year.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.  He kinda seems like a Cam Taylor-Britt type on a lot of levels. 

Right, but really the coaching staffs don't either. Staffs will find some guys before recruiting services (especially this year), and other times it's a recruiting service camp or two that puts a guy on schools' radar. I just don't see many cases where the services grade a guy low and P5 schools have the same kid high on their boards. Maybe the services have just gotten better at covering their @$$es and factoring P5 interest into their ratings though - looks pretty dumb to keep a guy rated low if big name schools would take him. Really curious what Webb's 247 rating will be, but my guess is this won't look like a reach by the time signing day rolls around.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to CB Lardarius Webb, Jr. [Jones Community College - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric unpinned this topic