If I were the GOP leadership, I would .....

What should the GOP do?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A good many of us will not be voting for a GOP candidate this year because of the parties unfounded loyalty to Donald Trump.   So, wt Trump ratings in the dumpster even before this Russian bounty issue came forward, I was asking my self - "If you were the GOP leadership, what would I do now?"  The assumption is that the GOP wants to survive as a viable national party.

At this point I think the GOP will be facing a massive voter back lash this fall and nothing they do now will save them from becoming a minority party. 

But nevertheless, I had some random thoughts about actions  the leadership might take:

1. Double down.  Ride the trump horse until it is no longer bringing any value to the party.dedhoarse  Stand tall in the saddle and say "we are the big tent party - we accept traitors, racists, sexists, con men and alt righters into our tent."  (Depending on what Russia has on the leadership besides what they have on Trump, this may be their only alternative so as to not be blackmailed. :dunno)

2.  Rush to the White House and demand Trump's resignation for the good of the party (regardless that it is also good for the country)

3. Senate Majority Leader and House Minority leader also step down because of their blind loyalty to Trump.

4. House and Senate GOP select new leadership

5. Republican Convention - first round open nominations

6. Ask Romney and Kasich to lead the party back to respectability.

7. Dissolve the party and re-create a party of center right, center left moderates.  Let the alt right fend for itself

If I were GOP leadership, I would definitely blame misspelled thread titles on Hillary or Obama. :lol:

If I were the GOP leadship, I would .....

Otherwise, I would not quite know how to answer the first two questions. I always tell my kids that it is never too late to do the right thing, but in GOP's case, I don't know how they didn't see the writing on the wall during the last 4 years. Did they think any of this Trumpism was actually going to be good for the country and sustainable for the long term? Obviously they should pick choices 2-5 now (in question #1), but most of them will pick choice number one, and either way, they can all f#$k off.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

None of the answers to #1 were quite right, IMO. I voted for dissolve the party because it's closest to what I believe needs to actually happen: The party needs to get their asses kicked in a huge way with a landslide this election. Then they need to go soul searching and decide whether doubling-down on Trumpism is viable long term or whether they should try actually attempting to improve people's lives to earn votes.

#2 was easy. It should be Trump. He's won their farce of a primary. They hitched their wagon to him willingly. They should sink or swim with who they chose.

Hell no I'm not voting for any of these clowns until this current sickness has been purged.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If I were GOP leadership, I would definitely blame misspelled thread titles on Hillary or Obama.

Good point.  Instead of blaming my first grade teacher, I can blame Obama for my bad spelling (now corrected - good catch):thumbs

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

None of the answers to #1 were quite right, IMO. I voted for dissolve the party because it's closest to what I believe needs to actually happen: The party needs to get their asses kicked in a huge way with a landslide this election. Then they need to go soul searching and decide whether doubling-down on Trumpism is viable long term or whether they should try actually attempting to improve people's lives to earn votes.

#2 was easy. It should be Trump. He's won their farce of a primary. They hitched their wagon to him willingly. They should sink or swim with who they chose.

Hell no I'm not voting for any of these clowns until this current sickness has been purged.

I've added another choice similar to what you are saying above.  Multiple choices can be voted on.

• Plus1 1

If I were the GOP leadership, I would.......

Where is the slash my wrists and jump out the highest window option?

Anyways.... GOP leadership, any political party leadership in today's environment, is an oxymoron. These people do not lead, they serve at the alter of self interest. Whatever it takes to gain control, remain in control and fill their bank accounts. They don't give two sh#ts about us.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

When the GOP lost in 2008 they didn't learn anything. They just funneled a s#!t-ton of money into state level elections so they could fix the maps in their favor.

And they (GOP)followed the wrong side of the ticket.  They followed the shallow sounding, red meat words of Sarah Palin instead of following a more mature John McCain.  John's big mistake was picking Sarah - he probably would have lost anyway but she was given an oversized stage that played to the far right of the party. 

But to your point - all true - they knew they couldn't win on a national level without state interference.  Also, the Dems did them a favor in 2016 by nominating the worse possible candidate in Hillary.

• Plus1 1

If I were GOP leadership Id probably be a scumbag human being so Id absolutely double down. If I dont, I look weak to my party. Trump is very popular within the Republican Party so I wouldnt want to piss off my base. The problem with this strategy is only about 25%-30% of the population are true Republican voters. The majority are independents and this strategy is not working with them. So i guess I double down with Trump still in power and once Trump loses go back to being the scumbag I was before Trump and hope I keep my job. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Its not a matter of just GOP leadership its the party as a whole and that includes the voters. They are too far gone. You can see it right here on this board with some people. 

Why I think we need a new center right to center left party

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Its not a matter of just GOP leadership its the party as a whole and that includes the voters. They are too far gone. You can see it right here on this board with some people. 

I read a good book once that surmised that GOP voters were slowly becoming more and more disillusioned and radicalized ever since Goldwater's crushing defeat in 1964 by being overpromised and underdelivered to by those they elevated to power.

Trump was the worst possible person to become the new leader of that movement.