AM looking to rebound per Frost

Decent articles about what a lot had speculated.  Frost says freshman year AM had to compete every day and it showed in his performance that year.  Soph year not a lot of competition so put it into cruise control and that showed up at times on the field.....

Was mentioned about AM looking slower, but yards per carry went from 4.5 to 4.3....Not a huge drop off.  Less than I thought...

Hoping 2AM 3.0 is like 2AM1.0.......We will need him.  Competition will help.  Being 100% healthy will help......Iron sharpens iron and all that....

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/scott-frost-expects-competition-from-luke-mccaffrey-to-bring-the-best-out-of-adrian-martinez/article_21775275-6c11-532e-94ef-dc1330860e22.amp.html

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/frost-says-of-quarterback-martinez-i-dont-think-hell-be-lax-in-his-preparation-ever/article_e7e3ff11-85d8-564e-bf95-e04359fe3638.amp.html

But Frost added a detail Monday that he hadn’t before about Martinez’s play in 2019, and why it’ll be different in 2020. He has more competition from redshirt freshman quarterback Luke McCaffrey, and he’s preparing this year like he did when he was a true freshman in 2018.

“It’s his mindset and his approach,” Frost said. “He came in his first year and had to compete for that spot, and he looked like a competitor every single day in practice. Year two, I think because of the situation, he was able to put it in cruise control a little, and I think that showed up on the field a little more. That’s not to put everything on him ... but I don’t think he’ll be lax in his preparation ever again.”

• Plus1 3

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

I still think most of Martinez's regression last year was due to a drop off in the players around him. But not all of it...

I would agree. I also feel like (without evidence and I'm not looking it up) that his O Line was more experienced and better in his Freshman year than last year. For sure Jurgens having to grow into his role completely from scratch, with the sailing snaps issue all year, had to hamper him.

But Frost directly stating that he coasted is a concern. That's not OK, and having a guy who will steal the job from him if he does it again is a huge benefit.

• Plus1 2

• Regressed offensive line

• Unpredictable snaps

• Loss of receiving corps

• No drive of competition

• Injury

That's a bad 5 factor combo of performance degradation. If he stays healthy I think he'll rebound in a big way, assuming the pieces around him take another step as well.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I think it's really interesting to compare him to Trevor Lawrence in Clemson too just because they started as freshmen at the same time. TL was not as good as a sophomore as he was his freshmen year which was probably due in part to no competition and such. Teams also had film on them both which helped game plan. The big difference though is that TL has tons of talent around him and AM did not last year.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

But Frost directly stating that he coasted is a concern. 

Wouldn't the fact that your team keeps losing and you haven't even made a bowl game recently be pretty dang motivating... 

"Didn't try very hard" or "didn't prepare" are pretty much the worst things to hear about any athlete.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Wouldn't the fact that your team keeps losing and you haven't even made a bowl game recently be pretty dang motivating... 

"Didn't try very hard" or "didn't prepare" are pretty much the worst things to hear about any athlete.  

One would think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why we're all half crazy for a winning team. It's just bonkers that anyone would lack motivation like that.

And the annoying thing is, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State...these guys don't lack motivation when they play us.

21 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Exactly my thoughts as well.

The "coasting" thing, and this is my guess, is a bit of coach speak to light a fire.  The effort that a D1 QB puts in...even to just be average, is insane.  

Also what @Landlord posted about the 5 things is pretty spot on.  I don't think the costing one is really that big of an issue but the other 4 are dead on.  

• Plus1 5