AM looking to rebound per Frost

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Reality is, there are some things about motivation that are involuntary and subconscious. For all of us. 

When we ran track, occasionally we would run 200's in practice and our coach would get us to really treat them like the real deal, but we'd always run them faster if we had someone the same speed next to us than if we ran next to someone clearly slower or faster.

AM had no real competition and he had a lot of 'savior praise' from his coach, the media, and the fans his sophomore year. Optimism was sky high, we ended his freshman year on a huge momentum run, and the hype and mood were unbelievably positive.

Even if he's the most mentally determined player on the team, that will still have some kind of involuntary effect on your drive. That's not really an excuse, but rather an argument that we shouldn't (yet, at least) be overly worried about this imo.

Yep, I’ve seen it thousands of times in all sports, at all levels. It’s the rule rather than the exception for players to perform to the level of competition, be that in actual games or in practice. I’ve seen it in football, basketball, softball, baseball, tennis, hockey, track, cross country.... Athletes and teams as a whole tend to underperform against lesser competition and over perform against better competition. It doesn’t happen always, every time, but the tendency and correlation is undeniable.

22 hours ago, C-4 said:

Idk. Why would a coach say that about a current player... unless said player still lacked motivation? If he truly is motivated now, why not let last season’s struggle be water under the bridge?

this bothers me too.........mot sure what to make of it, entitled to the position? feeling like the job was always his?

McCaffrey will be breathing down his neck.

23 hours ago, C-4 said:

Idk. Why would a coach say that about a current player... unless said player still lacked motivation? If he truly is motivated now, why not let last season’s struggle be water under the bridge?

It was also reported that he was the first player back on campus after they sent them home. So, that'd sort of suggest he's super motivated.

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

It was also reported that he was the first player back on campus after they sent them home. So, that'd sort of suggest he's super motivated.

I'm thinking we see the best AM yet this year.

Healthy

Better "potential" at the skill positions

OL should be a strength

Competition makes all the QB's better

I still like Austin's comments as the run game coordinator

If we don't have football.........

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, hunter49 said:

this bothers me too.........mot sure what to make of it, entitled to the position? feeling like the job was always his?

McCaffrey will be breathing down his neck.

Maybe it’s just reminding him that the coaches haven’t forgot about his disappointing season last year and are going to continue pushing him throughout the year. Frost seems like one of those guys who will be honest pretty much all the time, and doesn’t really pull punches no matter the situation. While I respect that mentality, it can also be a dangerous road to travel that can easily come around and bite you

I remain in the camp that says Adrian is the likely starter by virtue of his experience and general overall ability.  He has shown, at times, the skills we need to win in the Frost system / offense.  

But, he needs to play at a very high level with few mistakes mentally and with a do or die effort consistently every play/game.  

Will he?   I would have felt much more confident with spring / summer practices.  I will lower my expectations accordingly since we missed so much time to get up to speed with new WRs and RBs etc. 

But if things arent going well (winning and or looking coordinated etc), I wont give him any slack. Give the other QBs a shot to see if that helps.  

Frost seems really enamored with this kid.......if he needs some bench time, i hope Frost is able to sit him when/if he needs to.

and all these kids need to play at a high level......lots of inexperience and little practice time.  growing pains to be expected.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, lowkeyhusker said:

i wonder if we can rock a 2 QB system? Use Luke like a Taysom Hill. I feel Luke needs to be on the field no matter what.

Also, I can't imagine all of the QB's staying. If Adrian keeps the job into his Senior year.. Does Luke or Logan transfer with Haarberg coming in?

They'll just go to a 3 qb system, each one gets a quarter and whoever does the best gets the 4th. And if the incoming freshman in a year is too good to sit they each get a quarter.

Do i need the sarcasm emoji?

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, hunter49 said:

Luke will get enough playing time to stay, i think.

It's worth remembering that he's two classes below AM, and hence potentially a two-year starter after AM graduates.

Dylan McCaffrey waited his turn at Michigan to play and Luke will still have the potential to start for two seasons, so I think he'll stay in the probable event of being beat out by Martinez.  I think a more likely beat out leading to a transfer would be post Martinez between Luke and Logan.  If Luke wins, not a lot of QBs are looking to stay 4 years to play 1, so Logan probably leaves.  If Logan wins, I guess we might be able to talk Luke into being a WR or something, but I bet he leaves.