AM looking to rebound per Frost

3 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

It does a lot for culture when nobody, not even QB1 is above the coaches scrutiny. Nobody can say favorites are being played, different players get different treatment, etc. I think this is a brilliant technique by Frost. Also makes some of the things McQuitty said look less legit

Why does he look less legit when Martinez was the starter last season despite lacking drive according to his coach?  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Landlord said:

• Regressed offensive line

• Unpredictable snaps

• Loss of receiving corps

• No drive of competition

• Injury

That's a bad 5 factor combo of performance degradation. If he stays healthy I think he'll rebound in a big way, assuming the pieces around him take another step as well.

I think this is a great list.  I would like to add 1 more item I think.   

I believe the coaches put a little too much on his plate.   His freshmen year he played a lot faster.  He didn't always make the right decision but he made it sooner.  His soph year he seemed hesitant at times which I think is because he was trying to process all his options.  Could be also the plays had more options to them as well. 

With all this said I am happening to get a starting QB back who has 2 years of experience.  I am sure his level of play will be better.   

7 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I think this is a great list.  I would like to add 1 more item I think.   

I believe the coaches put a little too much on his plate.   His freshmen year he played a lot faster.  He didn't always make the right decision but he made it sooner.  His soph year he seemed hesitant at times which I think is because he was trying to process all his options.  Could be also the plays had more options to them as well. 

With all this said I am happening to get a starting QB back who has 2 years of experience.  I am sure his level of play will be better.   

Perhaps, but he may have been hesitant and slower processing because he didn’t put the work in as frost eluded to. Maybe didn’t watch as much film, wasn’t as detailed on practice, didn’t put in extra work. We don’t know the details but frost did say he did not try as hard as his frosh year. 

15 hours ago, C-4 said:

Idk. Why would a coach say that about a current player... unless said player still lacked motivation? If he truly is motivated now, why not let last season’s struggle be water under the bridge?

I look at L Jax as a prime example of a guy who needed a reality check and nudge to get the best out of him.  Maybe this is truly what AM needs to hear moving forward.

20 hours ago, Landlord said:

• Regressed offensive line

• Unpredictable snaps

• Loss of receiving corps

• No drive of competition

• Injury

That's a bad 5 factor combo of performance degradation. If he stays healthy I think he'll rebound in a big way, assuming the pieces around him take another step as well.

This ^^^

16 hours ago, 307husker said:

Wouldn't the fact that your team keeps losing and you haven't even made a bowl game recently be pretty dang motivating... 

"Didn't try very hard" or "didn't prepare" are pretty much the worst things to hear about any athlete.  

16 hours ago, knapplc said:

One would think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why we're all half crazy for a winning team. It's just bonkers that anyone would lack motivation like that.

And the annoying thing is, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State...these guys don't lack motivation when they play us.

I agree that lack of motivation or preparation is concerning in any athlete but Nebraska fans should temper this feeling a bit. These players haven't had the same 20 years experience that we have as fans. They are relatively new to it whereas it's been grating on us for seemingly ever. Sure they need to prepare, be motivated and compete, any athlete does. But the bigger issue to assure it happens are recruiting players with that competitor built in and then being vigilant about growing the correct culture....and we all know what that culture was like only a couple years ago.

I'm not worried at all about a player like 2AM not being motivated enough. I think this statement was more about Frost lighting a fire rather than it having much substance about 2AM coasting.

13 hours ago, C-4 said:

Idk. Why would a coach say that about a current player... unless said player still lacked motivation? If he truly is motivated now, why not let last season’s struggle be water under the bridge?

I'm actually more encouraged after reading Frost's comments.  I'm sure there is some truth to what he said.  Also, what I'm wondering is if the preparation he's talking about is in the off season/fall camp where most improvement and learning happens.  Once in the season, it's hard to make that up.

You can see sophomoritis in kids all the time.  Grades, many times, go down the second year...they think they know everything...bla bla bla.

Sometimes it takes a reality check to get them back going.

I have the feeling Frost's comments (like a lot of times) was a challenge to him.....more than informing us of anything.  He has this summer and fall to prepare correctly and do everything he can to have a good year.

I think he will.

18 hours ago, C-4 said:

This could be a possibility. 

Maybe it’s also/or that McCaffery looks much better this year than last, and that gives them the best chance to win now based on how little Martinez has progressed.

Maybe it’s that Frost sees more potential in McCaffery in the long term and wants to give him as many snaps as he can to help him progress fast. 

Maybe it’s time for Runza.

Maybe...

(A poem of contemplation by @ZMagers22

Cited in the third person for the enjoyment of all... #hungry #wheresthecabbage #putmeincoach

Reality is, there are some things about motivation that are involuntary and subconscious. For all of us. 

When we ran track, occasionally we would run 200's in practice and our coach would get us to really treat them like the real deal, but we'd always run them faster if we had someone the same speed next to us than if we ran next to someone clearly slower or faster.

AM had no real competition and he had a lot of 'savior praise' from his coach, the media, and the fans his sophomore year. Optimism was sky high, we ended his freshman year on a huge momentum run, and the hype and mood were unbelievably positive.

Even if he's the most mentally determined player on the team, that will still have some kind of involuntary effect on your drive. That's not really an excuse, but rather an argument that we shouldn't (yet, at least) be overly worried about this imo.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Reality is, there are some things about motivation that are involuntary and subconscious. For all of us. 

When we ran track, occasionally we would run 200's in practice and our coach would get us to really treat them like the real deal, but we'd always run them faster if we had someone the same speed next to us than if we ran next to someone clearly slower or faster.

AM had no real competition and he had a lot of 'savior praise' from his coach, the media, and the fans his sophomore year. Optimism was sky high, we ended his freshman year on a huge momentum run, and the hype and mood were unbelievably positive.

Even if he's the most mentally determined player on the team, that will still have some kind of involuntary effect on your drive. That's not really an excuse, but rather an argument that we shouldn't (yet, at least) be overly worried about this imo.

Good point.  Winning creates winners.  There's a saying that people do not rise to the level of their expectations, but fall to the level of their training......I'm sure AM will be more focused this year.  If we have football.

Again...his rushing stats were pretty much identical despite playing two less games (maybe one less?)

and his passing stats were down a bit...after losing his best WR and having a center that thought he was snapping to Shaq for most of the season.  

I think he going to be just fine.

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Again...his rushing stats were pretty much identical despite playing two less games (maybe one less?)

and his passing stats were down a bit...after losing his best WR and having a center that thought he was snapping to Shaq for most of the season.  

I think he going to be just fine.

So, what you're saying is, it might be premature to start bemoaning the loss of Vedral or chants of Luke Luke Luke.... :lol: