Here's an interesting article that shows how different individuals and ideologies work with the same raw materials to profoundly different results.

Starring Nebraska (yay!) and Kansas (boo!)

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-07-01/two-midwest-cities-two-local-billionaires-koch-buffett-which-one-can-boost-prosperity?fbclid=IwAR3de_rBsaSQN66wr3yxc7UbL2u5je0G3X_O9HIebwtSSxvt6qVXCb42lms

• Plus1 3

Just now, DevoHusker said:

That looks pretty nice TG. I have been to Tulsa exactly one time, many years ago. Thought it was a nice big/small Midwestern city.

It has changed a lot in the past 10 years.  Use to be, "last one out of downtown at 5 pm turn off the lights",  Now it is booming with the new BOK arena (where the Trump rally was :facepalm:), new baseball field, parks, Woody Guthrie archives and soon to be Bob Dylan archives, on an OK Pop (music, culture) museum being built now near the world famous Cains Ball Room, the ARTS District  and it has become an urban dwelling place as well.  I use to avoid downtown due to nothing to do, now I avoid it because of the crowds.  The Gathering Place is a mile south of downtown and is an amazing, free park that is worthy of the national awards it has received. It is really breath taking  - our grandkids couldn't get enough of it.

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Might have to put it on the list to visit. :cheers

If you do, contact me ahead of time.  :cheers

Now carry on  :backtotopic

I've never been impressed with Wichita.  I've been there many times for work related things.   I've seen Omaha grow over the years. My brother and family recently moved there from Sioux Falls and they like the area. 

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This is so fricking cool! What an awesome concept, had no idea this existed.

Yes, and it is all free. 

Tulsa is now trying to land the Tesla truck factory.  We hope the Gathering Place will help sell our town.   Tulsa for Tesla has a nice ring to it. 

• Plus1 2

Lived in & around Wichita for 25 years. Thank god I escaped. If you're smart and not in the aircraft industry or a 'work anywhere' industry like healthcare, there's nothing for you there. I'd move back to Nebraska long before I'd return to Wichita!

22 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Tulsa is of similar size. I wonder how the comparison would play out.  

Our local billionaire built      This

Tulsa sounds pretty cool. My wife spent a long weekend in Oklahoma City a couple years ago and could not see any appeal anywhere.

If I still had little kids, I'd be inclined to take them to the Tulsa Riverfront for vacation. Looks more fun than Disneyland to me. Seriously. 

btw....who is your local billionaire? Is this T. Boone territory?

I think I have hijacked this thread -- sorry Knapp!!  

They are now working on building phase 2 of the Gathering Place - a hands on children science and learning museum. 

OKC has improved greatly over the last 20 years.  Tulsa was always considered (of course by Tulsans) the progressive, sophisticated town and OKC the cow town (Kind of like Dallas vs Ft Worth).  OKC passed up Tulsa in the late 1990s wt their MAPS (metropolitan area plan)  program but now Tulsa has rebounded.

George Kaiser    and the Kaiser Foundation         oil and gas of course and banking BOK - Bank of Oklahoma. 

Kaiser was born on July 29, 1942 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.[1][2][5] He attended Central High School in Tulsa.[6] He earned a BA from Harvard College in 1964 and an MBA from the Harvard Business School in 1966.[7] He briefly considered joining the U.S. Foreign Service, but instead returned to Tulsa in 1966 to work for his father. Kaiser-Francis Oil Co. was created in the 1940s by Kaiser's uncle and parents, Jewish[8][9] refugees from Nazi Germany who settled in Oklahoma.[10][11]

George's father, Herman George Kaiser, had been an attorney in the district of the Kammergericht in Berlin until 1933, when he was dismissed by the Nazis because he was Jewish. He and his wife Kate then moved to Rostock where Herman Kaiser worked with his father-in-law Max Samuel's EMSA-Werke company. Herman Kaiser escaped to England in 1937 and his wife and daughter came over in September the following year. In 1940 all three emigrated to the United States.[12] They settled in Tulsa, where Herman's aunt and uncle already lived. Herman joined the uncle's oil drilling business. Their son was born in Tulsa.[5] Herman died in Tulsa on October 14, 1992 at the age of 88.[

Oil and gas

Kaiser took control of Kaiser-Francis Oil Company in 1969, after his father had a heart attack. Kaiser-Francis was a little-known, privately owned oil prospecting and drilling company at the time. Under George's management, it became the 23rd largest nonpublic energy exploration company in the U.S. by 2010. In that year the company earned about $217 million, based on estimates by Bloomberg News.[14]

Banking

In 1990, Kaiser bought Bank of Oklahoma out of Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation receivership. Despite BOK's depressed state, it was rich enough to land Kaiser on the Forbes 400 at one stroke. He has since expanded BOK from a 20-branch company located solely in Oklahoma into a $23.9 billion bank with operations in nine states. He owns 61.5 percent of BOK.[14] As of 2007, Kaiser's ownership interests in BOK were worth $2.3 billion. In 2008, with an estimated current net worth of around $12 billion, he was ranked by Forbes as the 20-richest person in America and the richest person in Oklahoma. In March 2009, in the face of the general world economic downturn, Forbes reported that Kaiser's net worth had dropped to $9 billion, ranking him in a tie for 43rd-richest person in the world.[15] It has since risen to $9.8 billion as the markets recovered.[1] As of 2019, George's net worth was estimated at $7.6 billion.[16