The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m generally curious on what way?  It’s obvious one of the largest States in terms of population is living his leadership given his historic margin of victory yesterday.  

I'm pretty sure people have already answered that question for you. But to give one example, he will go after his political enemies in any and every way he can just for not agreeing with him. I'm sure this is going to sound hilarious, but there used to be some morality when it came to politicians. Sure, the stuff he's doing is legal, but that doesn't mean he should do it. Some of it is god awful. He's the worst of Trump, but he's not as incompetent at reaching his goals as Trump. I'm just exhausted with this environment that Trump brought to the forefront. I'm exhausted with Republicans focusing so much on hateful s#!t aimed at things that don't matter. Their entire MO is riling up hate in their base in order to distract them.

• Plus1 8

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

he will go after his political enemies in any and every way he can just for not agreeing with him

So you’ve described basically 80% of politicians here.  

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

but there used to be some morality when it came to politicians.

LOL….when was this exactly.  The last 2 Senate Majority Leaders of your side lies about Mitt Romneys tax Returns and openly said it was worth it and have threatened Supreme Court Justices.   

• Plus1 1

I was thinking about how a primary debate between DeSantis and Trump goes. They both agree with each other on policies, but Trump rages at DeSantis. DeSantis keeps his cool and does not engage. Who wins? Not to mention, the Dem's sole focus for the next 2 years is January 6th and the FBI raid. 

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Impossible.  He's a very vindictive politician that can't handle people who criticize him.

He has taken some pot shots from Trump recently and I never heard about a response. Maybe I missed them. Maybe when Trump goes after his wife he loses it, but then who would blame him. If he can stay out of the fray....its a easy win. 

6 minutes ago, nic said:

He has taken some pot shots from Trump recently and I never heard about a response. Maybe I missed them. Maybe when Trump goes after his wife he loses it, but then who would blame him. If he can stay out of the fray....its a easy win. 

IF....he can do that, I agree.  But, I believe that's a big IF.  Trump has thrown some daggers his way.  But, they aren't face to face.  Put them on a stage with Trump doing his usual 3rd grade name calling and insulting....and we will see.

What he has to convince himself of is when Trump does that, it's Trump's reaction to feeling like he's losing and DeSantis is a threat.  If he can do that, then I can see it working.  The majority of Americans are sick and tired of Trump's grade school act that he's done every since 2015.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Disagree 

I mean...I get it.  Some people are attracted to the angry, in your face vindictive conservative politician.  Trump won on it.  Multiple MAGA Representatives won on it.  DeSantis wins with it.  

But, it's not how the majority of politicians act and carry out their duties.  

I think we have seen in the last three cycles that the majority of Americans don't like that.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I mean...I get it.  Some people are attracted to the angry, in your face vindictive conservative politician.  Trump won on it.  Multiple MAGA Representatives won on it.  DeSantis wins with it.  

But, it's not how the majority of politicians act and carry out their duties.  

I think we have seen in the last three cycles that the majority of Americans don't like that.

LOL.  Your post shows you clearly don’t get it.   The people who had skin in the game with DeSantis overwhelmingly chose him by 20 points in a state that is usually pretty damn close and growing in Hispanic population.   

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

LOL.  Your post shows you clearly don’t get it.   The people who had skin in the game with DeSantis overwhelmingly chose him by 20 points in a state that is usually pretty damn close and growing in Hispanic population.   

I understand that.  But, I'm not sure how that has to do with the discussion.  He will need to take that national.  On a national level, voters have spoken that they don't like the angry, in your face, vindictive conservative politician.  And, DeSantis epitomizes that.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand that.  But, I'm not sure how that has to do with the discussion.  He will need to take that national.  On a national level, voters have spoken that they don't like the angry, in your face, vindictive conservative politician.  And, DeSantis epitomizes that.  

the maga movement will eat it up and ask for more.   it doesn't have to be trump if desantis proves he can be vindictive enough

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Just cause you say it and that’s your opinion doesn’t actually make it so.    

Jeb Bush won by 13 points in the 2002 Florida gubernatorial race, and he sniffed out what... a sixth place finish in the 2016 Republican primaries? Gubernatorial victory margins don't necessarily mean anything when it comes to a national campaign.

That said, I make no dismissal of DeSantis' growing popularity in the Republican party, and he is probably the Republican favorite for 2024. I think he's setting himself up very nicely for a 2024 run. But I also think (and, I'm sure his people would agree) that you don't win a country running the same campaign that won you a single state. You have to be more appealing to moderates and think bigger, and I'm sure he and his people get that. He spends quite a bit of time being the right's equivalent to liberal wokeness and I'm not sure what kind of appeal that is going to have in a couple of years.

And maybe it won't ultimately matter. I genuinely thought Trump's schtick would wear thin before he became president. Turns out, it needed to simmer for about four years before enough people were over it. I think DeSantis is wiser than Trump, though, and probably more willing to learn from the mistakes that cost Trump national favor.

• TBH 2
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election