The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe Peggy Noonam is wishful thinking out loud here but she doesn't see Trump v Biden being a sure thing.   Let's hope she is right. 

I for one hope there is a strong 3rd party alternative or someone emerges from the dark within one of these parties. 

She mentions the centralist group "No Labels" as working behind the scene to get a 3rd party candidate on all state ballots.  Joe Liberman, Gov Larry Hogan , Dr Benjamin Chavis, John Hope Bryan are  national co-chairmen for vice chair.   I hope they can come up with a non-partisan ticket in 2024.  About the group.

https://www.nolabels.org/why    

Their strategy for 2024

https://2024.nolabels.org/

Peggy's OPED: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-vs-trump-dont-be-so-sure-rfk-third-party-rematch-2024-election-independents-bea741f2

Biden vs. Trump in 2024? Don’t Be So Sure

Look at voters’ faces when you describe the match-up and you’ll realize they’re open to alternatives.

I agree with this 100%:

I agree with those who say the problem isn’t only Joe Biden’s age but the implication his age carries: that if he is re-elected there’s a significant chance Kamala Harris will become president. She has been a mystery, a politician who has been unable to say anything pertinent or even coherent on policy. Instead, the loud and sudden laughter unconnected to any clear stimuli, and the sheer looping nonsense of her words. This will give voters pause.

And this:

Mr. DeSantis is reported to be announcing his presidential run later this spring. I got an interesting note about him the other day from the veteran political operative Alex Castellanos. He said the problem for Mr. DeSantis is not that he’s unlikable: “The problem for Ron is worse. It’s that he does not like us.” When voters see a political figure likes them, they start to trust him, because they know “he will do a lot to preserve their affection.”

Politicians find ways to be popular when they’re not so likable. Richard Nixon was one.

Her reason for the OPED: 

But here is the real point of this column. If it starts to seem clear that America is once again locked into a Trump-Biden race, I think the electorate is going to get frisky. I don’t see people just accepting it. I see pushback and little rebellions. Two examples:

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who announced last week, this week hit 19% support among Democratic voters. That’s a lot! Especially for a guy who’s been labeled a bit of a nut. (He has been a leader of the idea that childhood vaccines are connected to autism.) But his larger general message would appeal to the edges of left and right, and blends into the general populist mood: Corporations and the government are lying to you, playing you for a fool.

And in an odd way his past nuttiness bolsters his believability: He has worn the scorn of establishments as a medal. His own family isn’t for him. It doesn’t seem to mess with his swing.

He has what Mr. Trump has: star power. And there is the name. I recently was with a physical therapist—early middle age, suburban, not especially interested in politics—who, while working my back, asked if I knew Mr. Kennedy. No, I said. Is he drawing your interest?

She spoke admiringly of his family—of JFK, of RFK the father. She liked them and thought their politics were similar to hers. I asked if she had any living memory of JFK or RFK. No, she said, she was born after they were killed. And yet she spoke of them as if she remembered them.

I say watch him. He is going to be a force this year.

Second, watch a third-party bid. The centrist group No Labels says it’s provisionally attempting to get on the ballot in all 50 states. We’ll see how that works. But a third party, if it comes, could have real and surprising power in this cycle. I am the only person I know who thinks this but, again, look at people’s faces when you say it will be Trump or Biden.

Independents now outnumber members of each party. No hunger for a third-party effort is discernible in the polls. So the effort would have to blow people out of their comfortable trenches and make them want to go over the top to seize new ground. It would have to be something centrists, by their nature, aren’t: dramatic. The people who would lead such an effort worry about whether or not they’d wind up as spoilers for the Democrats. You could argue as well it might spoil things for the Republicans.

They should be thinking: We are past the moment for such questions. If you think the country is in trouble and needs another slate of candidates, do it. No ambivalence, no guilt about spoiling it for the lesser of evils. If you’re serious, go for it. Look at the other two guys as spoilers.

A third party would have to have compelling candidates for president and vice president. That would be hard. I am not certain a third party is desirable. But I don’t think it’s impossible.

Third-party enthusiasts tend to be moderate, sober-minded. Such people are almost by definition not swept by the romance of history. But we are living in a prolonged crazy time in American politics. Anything can happen now.

Really, anything. I wonder if they know it.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Or DeSantis for that matter.

If most people showed cautious optimism instead of an unwavering devotion to politicians, the US would be in a much better place. Instead we have people who would rather die on the hill defending Trump or DeSantis and the far right Republican Party. Why they do is crazy to me. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Or DeSantis for that matter.

If most people showed cautious optimism instead of an unwavering devotion to politicians, the US would be in a much better place. Instead we have people who would rather die on the hill defending Trump or DeSantis and the far right Republican Party. Why they do is crazy to me. 

Or Joey for that matter. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's amazing when he shows what a total idiot he is.

Here is my take on that short video.  

1. Yes, Trump is an idiot.  China caused the pandemic just to get trump out of office so he claims.   That is a Narcistic, all about me statement, that poops out of his mouth so often.  He also said you can see 'little lines from space'  - the satellite image of body bags all around the lab.  He continues to talk like a 3rd grader - sorry to offend 3rd graders.

2. Mark Levin doing the interview- this is my real take:  Levin is a very smart guy.  I used to listen to him regularly back in the day.  He knows history, politics, culture, law like few on the radio. He is probably the smartest guy on the conservative talk show circuit.  He can articulate and frame an argument better than most.  I say this not because I agree with him - I no longer agree with much of what he says --  but because he's proven it through his years of talk radio, his involvement in the Reagan administration, his legal work, and the many books that he has written.  This is my observation:

A.   Levin, as a Reagan republican, came out strongly against Trump in 2015.  He saw trump for who he was - an opportunist and someone not good for the country

B.  During the primary season, Levin favored other candidates 

C.  Once Trump was nominated, being the partisan hack that he accuses all Dems as being, he gets in line to support Trump- as does Lindsey, Ted, Marco and all of the other vanquished foes except Gov Kasich who kept his integrity. 

D.  Levin along with Hannity know it's more about the money and ratings than principle.  Thus, pretty much all of conservative talk media sold their soul to trump and the MAGA crowd to keep the gravy train going - facts & damage to the country be d$%med.  

E.  The depth of this sellout is evident in this video - a very smart guy interviewing a very dumb (embarrassing so) former president and taking it all in without confronting trump on the facts but pitching slow ball softballs at him. 

F.  Proof positive: Conservative talk media cannot be trusted.  It has always been about the ratings and not the principles.

G. Money - the lust for it, indeed, is the root of all evil.  People sell their integrity for a part of the pie.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election