The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw this article from political the other day and thought we need to keep looking ahead.  The current goal in my opinion is to soundly defeat Trump this election cycle.  But with Trump's failure there may be more radical, more skilled politicians who may step in to lead the Cult of Trump.  Tucker Carlson may be that person per this article.  Before there can be some moderation and return to sanity in the GOP, there candidates must be defeated so that the party can learn.  If it refuses to learn, a new party must be born from the rubble. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/02/tucker-carlson-2024-republicans-348334

Tucker Carlson’s audience is booming — and so is chatter that the popular Fox News host will parlay his TV perch into a run for president in 2024.

Republican strategists, conservative commentators, and former Trump campaign and administration officials are buzzing about Carlson as the next-generation leader of Donald Trump’s movement — with many believing he would be an immediate frontrunner in a Republican primary.

“He’s a talented communicator with a massive platform. I think if he runs he’d be formidable,” said Luke Thompson, a Republican strategist who worked for Jeb Bush’s super PAC in 2016.  While practically every Republican eyeing a 2024 presidential run is professing loyalty to Trump the person, Carlson has become perhaps the highest-profile proponent of “Trumpism” — a blend of anti-immigrant nationalism, economic populism and America First isolationism that he articulates unapologetically and with some snark. At the same time, he's shown a rare willingness among Republicans to bluntly criticize Trump when he believes the president is straying from that ideology.

In another twist, Carlson has established a friendship with Donald Trump, Jr., according to a source familiar with their relationship. Trump Jr. has drawn his own share of presidential buzz.

“Tucker Carlson Tonight” is currently the most watched cable news program in history, according to the second quarter ratings released this week. And on Fox News’ YouTube channel, Carlson’s segments from the past quarter have drawn well over 60 million views and are among the most popular videos in the eight years since the network began posting on the platform.

His popularity with the base would instigate a debate over the future of the party — essentially whether Trump was an aberration or a party-realigning disrupter — a fight that will be all the fiercer if Trump loses in November.

“Let me put it this way: If Biden wins and Tucker decided to run, he’d be the nominee,” said Sam Nunberg, a former top political aide to Trump who knows Carlson. But Nunberg said he doesn’t believe Carlson will run because “he’s so disgusted with politicians.”

Sixteen prominent Republicans interviewed by POLITICO said there’s an emerging consensus in the GOP that the 51-year-old Carlson would be formidable if he were to run. Some strategists aligned with other potential candidates are convinced he will enter the race and detect the outlines of a stump speech in Carlson’s recent Fox monologues. Others, particularly those who know him well, are skeptical that he would leave his prime-time TV gig.

And then we have this below in oppostion to a Tucker run.  I agree wt Anand.   There has got to be a compelling message from the Dems that steers people away from

the Cult of Trump.  Trump needs to be soundly defeated in 2020.  Any Trump like candidate like Tucker, needs to be soundly defeated.  It may take 2-3 election cycles to either

rid the GOP of this vermin or for others to start a center right/center left party to replace the GOP.

• Plus1 1

If Trump gets clobbered in 2020, Pence will have a very difficult time to remove himself from that coattail. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/mike-pences-campaign-plans-for-2020and-2024/613909/

Mike Pence’s Plan to Save Trump—And Himself

Their fates are wholly entwined: “You get the Trump stink on you, it’s hard to get it off.”

In private moments, Donald Trump has told aides that he rescued Mike Pence from a potentially embarrassing defeat by pulling him out of a tough reelection bid in the 2016 Indiana governor’s race and putting him on the ticket, a former White House official told me. Now it’s Vice President Pence’s turn to see what, if anything, he can do to rescue Trump from a more momentous loss—and keep alive a long-held ambition to win the presidency in his own right.

Their fates, at this point, are wholly entwined. Pence would have trouble winning in 2024 if voters repudiate Trump in November. Yet even if he runs after a second Trump term, he’d surely be tarnished by the rolling tragedies of 2020. For three years, Pence largely sidestepped Trump’s unending dramas. Not so with the pandemic. Trump pulled Pence from the bubble wrap and plunked him into a crisis, making him the head of the coronavirus task force overwhelmed by COVID-19’s relentless spread. Now Pence is forever tied to the government’s botched response. And that’s something he’ll need to defend and explain as the current campaign ramps up, and if he ever runs for the higher office he’s long prized.

“You get the Trump stink on you, it’s hard to get it off,” said the former official, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk more freely.

26 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I'm torn between saying Bernie will only be 83 and Trump 2024.

Gonna split the difference and endorse Ralph Nader.

24 will be the first election for the "new" America.  Biden will be dead, his VP will have no chance.  There is no D that has a chance there is no R that has a chance.  It will be the first ever wide open election that we ever know.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, TGHusker said:

If Trump gets clobbered in 2020, Pence will have a very difficult time to remove himself from that coattail. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/mike-pences-campaign-plans-for-2020and-2024/613909/

Mike Pence’s Plan to Save Trump—And Himself

Their fates are wholly entwined: “You get the Trump stink on you, it’s hard to get it off.”

I don't buy any of this. Even with no Covid, Pence would never have gotten rid of his association with Trump, and the Trump supporters don't blame the response to Covid on Trump (or Pence) anyway.

• Plus1 1

One potential 2024 GOP candidate, Maryland's Gov Larry Hogan - wants to expand the GOP tent - he hasn't ruled out voting for Biden this year. 

https://apnews.com/af88227d7aa12baf576bc44aa3070754

A Republican governor rumored to be eyeing a run for the White House in 2024 said Sunday that the GOP needs to be a “bigger tent party” after President Donald Trump leaves office.

Maryland’s Larry Hogan, who has been known to break with Trump, told NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he doesn’t “know what the future holds in November.”

“But I know that the Republican Party is going to be looking at what happens after President Trump and whether that’s in four months or four years,” Hogan said. “And I think they’re going to be looking to, ‘How do we go about becoming a bigger tent party?’”

The rebuke was a rarity from Republicans, who have largely been afraid to criticize a president still popular with the GOP rank-and-file despite questions about how he has handled the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hogan did not rule out voting for Joe Biden, the Democrat challenging Trump in the November election. In 2016, Hogan wrote in the name of his father, a former Republican congressman from Maryland.

“It’s a difficult choice,” he said. “I think most people would like to see something different, and maybe we’ll figure that out in 2024.”

The governor pointed to his 2018 reelection as a model, when he won in deep-blue Maryland by almost 12 percentage points “by reaching out, by trying to find that middle ground where people can stand together” and by eschewing “divisive rhetoric.” He also noted that he did well with suburban women, a group that polls suggest has largely abandoned Trump.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, Cdog923 said:

I don't know if it'll be 2024 or 2028, but at some point, Gavin Newsom is going to run for President. 

Agreed.   I think 2024 will be a wide open affair on both sides.  Biden will only be a one term president.  His VP may have an inside track but depending how the economy and the country responds to Covid over the next few years will determine if that VP is stained in the same way Pense is stained now by Trump. Actually it won't be the same - the trump orange stain is much worse than what could possibly happen during the next 4 years. 

Related,  Cruz and Cotton already defining themselves.   Cruz wants to come across as the hard core stop the spending candidate now and Cotton basically says we need to spend money now on covid relief to 'buy' the election in 2020  or else they will lose the senate (which I think will be a foregone conclusion).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tom-cotton-ted-cruz-may-172000455.html

Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) presented very different views on how the Republican Party should handle debt going forward during a private lunch, which The Washington Posts suggests may have been a brief preview of the 2024 GOP primary.

Cruz warned his colleagues against spending too much on the next round of coronavirus relief funding, claiming voters could rebel in November if the national debt keeps rising, the Post reports. "What in the hell are we doing?," he reportedly asked.

But Cotton reportedly took the opposite stance, arguing the party needs to rack up debt if it wants to retain power. He reportedly made the case that spending big now would save money in the long run, because if Republican voters turn on the party for not protecting them during the economic crisis, Democrats will win back the Senate and spend more over a longer period of time.

While this particular battle might look different by 2024, the Post notes that both Cruz and Cotton have aspirations of succeeding President Trump as the next Republican president and ideological squabbles like this will likely increase over the next couple of years between prominent members of the party

• 2 months later...

This wk a recording of Sen Sasse came to light in which he was distancing himself from Trump. Some are saying he is looking ahead to 2024 trying to look more moderate. There have been a lot of things Sasse as said in sound bites that sounds good but he isn’t my Senator. So for you Nebraska voters i ask ; would Sasse be a viable candidate?  I’m not asking if you would vote for him but if he has enough political weight to be an option for GOP voters 

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ben Sasse is an opportunist and a coward. He takes his shots at Trump when the public sentiment is with him, act like he has morals and a backbone and then tucks tail and votes lockstep for the very things he's railed about for the press coverage.

It's wishful thinking but I hope all GOP senators are forever tainted by doing the wrong thing over and over during this presidency.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Sasse is a sadder Graham with more public rhetoric to make himself look good. The saddest thing about Sasse is that if he believed in what he said and voted accordingly, he would almost perfectly represent myself. 

However, he is just a husk of a man shilling the crap that is the worst part of the GOP right now.

• Plus1 2

Another Senator making early waves.  Sen Tom Cotton of Ark.   I just don't trust this guy.  I think he is in the hands of the military industrial complex and is a believer in fighting wars to settle the issues with other nations.  He takes us back to the GWB neocon days - which we do not need to revisit.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-cotton-laying-groundwork-2024-presidential-run-new-hampshire-2020-10

The 43-year-old Republican senator from Arkansas has long been mentioned as a future presidential contender, and here he was, testing the waters in the first-in-the-nation primary state.

Cotton has grown louder on the national political stage in recent years.

He has become omnipresent on Fox News, embraced his own genre of trolling on Twitter, and demonstrated an attunement to online culture wars and an ability to capitalize on them with his controversial New York Times op-ed article that led to the resignation of the paper's editorial-page editor.

• Plus1 1
On 10/16/2020 at 10:45 PM, TGHusker said:

This wk a recording of Sen Sasse came to light in which he was distancing himself from Trump. Some are saying he is looking ahead to 2024 trying to look more moderate. There have been a lot of things Sasse as said in sound bites that sounds good but he isn’t my Senator. So for you Nebraska voters i ask ; would Sasse be a viable candidate?  I’m not asking if you would vote for him but if he has enough political weight to be an option for GOP voters 

He will have a strong base of People Who Don't Pay Close Attention, which is (scarily) probably enough to make him a viable candidate. 

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election