The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't respond to everything you post because you're writing novels. I respond to the parts I find interesting. That's not evidence that I skim looking for things to disagree with, it's evidence I don't want to spend the kind of time you want to spend on this. It's been a week. I'm honestly not that invested in this topic. 

I have never said the Dems are not responsible for this situation. I have said, consistently, that it's a two-way street.

The constant insistence that I have a "bias" against rural voters is inane. Disagreeing with your stance on those voters is not a bias against them. 

Accusations like "You don't fully understand politics" is the kind of willful exaggeration you were earlier exonerated of. So it goes. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Accusations like "You don't fully understand politics" is the kind of willful exaggeration you were earlier exonerated of. So it goes. 

Your poo pooing of the passage of Statewide left leaning initiatives in a VERY red state gave clear indication that you do not see national politics as a local problem (they most certainly are). If you care to retract or amend that statement, I'd be happy to adjust mine. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
38 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Your poo pooing of the passage of Statewide left leaning initiatives in a VERY red state gave clear indication that you do not see national politics as a local problem

You're going to have to explain this one as I'm not seeing how you're drawing that conclusion from that premise. (Plus I'm not seeing that @knapplc has poo pooed state initiatives although I may have missed it.)

Editing to add: I think both the premise and conclusion are true, but I don't see how one implies the other.

Admittedly, I have not read this entire discussion because so much has been written and I've been very busy at work.  However, no matter who is responsible for the decline in Democrats support in rural areas, it's ultimately up to Democrats to change the narrative so that they start regaining that support.  I have not seen efforts from them that tell me they aren't serious about it.

And...no, I don't know exactly what that would look like.  If I did, I would probably be making a lot more money being one of their strategists.  It's an extremely difficult problem for them to fix.  But, it's up to them to fix it.  

• Plus1 4

OR figure out how they can gain in other areas to make up for the lack of rural support.  The changes in 2020 with white, college educated women, as well as latinos would suggest that simply winning those folks, or some of them back (as well as holding those who typically vote blue) would be a way to rectify the rural losses.  Even if they are able to get some back, it's going to take years and some great messaging, and at this point a lot of work to un-brainwash the current rural GOP voters.  

• Plus1 3

13 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

OR figure out how they can gain in other areas to make up for the lack of rural support.  The changes in 2020 with white, college educated women, as well as latinos would suggest that simply winning those folks, or some of them back (as well as holding those who typically vote blue) would be a way to rectify the rural losses.  Even if they are able to get some back, it's going to take years and some great messaging, and at this point a lot of work to un-brainwash the current rural GOP voters.  

This though is part of the problem. The dems have invested resources in solidifying other voting blocks at the expense of rural. As a result rural just becomes redder and wider. 

The dems need senators from rural states to counter balance gerrymandering in the house.

• Plus1 1

This came up in another thread, which I can't locate and honestly this seems the best place for it if there's not a specific thread designated for Voting Info By State.  I found the easiest way to look at things was by state, by map so here they are.  Places like Brennan Center and other bipartisan sites have more info on currently legislative moves by state but they go into a lot of detail and was difficult to parse for a forum like this.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 5.43.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 5.42.58 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Say, don't a lot of you identify as former Republicans, or at least conflicted voters who make your mind up according to candidate more than party? 

That means some sort of messaging or personal awakening changed your mind and/or kept your mind open. So it's possible.

Or do you not identify as "rural" in the sense we're using here, which appears to be anything outside Douglas or Lancaster County? 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Say, don't a lot of you identify as former Republicans, or at least conflicted voters who make your mind up according to candidate more than party? 

That means some sort of messaging or personal awakening changed your mind and/or kept your mind open. So it's possible.

Or do you not identify as "rural" in the sense we're using here, which appears to be anything outside Douglas or Lancaster County? 

I'm an ex Republican with no allegiance to any party.  Since leaving, I've voted for both Republicans and Democrats....and even independents.  Heck, I even voted for myself in the Hillary/Trump election.  I think I would have been awesome BTW.

I'm also rural Nebraska.

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm an ex Republican with no allegiance to any party.  Since leaving, I've voted for both Republicans and Democrats....and even independents

This is me. I'm a registered Independent, for more than two decades now. Previously a Republican, even volunteered on Republican campaigns. 

• Haha 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election