The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speculation will a 81 (in 2024) year old Biden run in 2024?  :dunno  If he doesn't who would you like to see win the Dem nomination?:dunno

Harris, Warren, Sanders, Mayor Pete, Gov Newsom of Calif - or other.   My bet is that if Biden doesn't run, Newsom will and he'll win it. 

https://thehill.com/news/administration/3493586-speculation-over-whether-biden-will-run-again-heats-up/

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Speculation will a 81 (in 2024) year old Biden run in 2024?  :dunno  If he doesn't who would you like to see win the Dem nomination?:dunno

Harris, Warren, Sanders, Mayor Pete, Gov Newsom of Calif - or other.   My bet is that if Biden doesn't run, Newsom will and he'll win it. 

https://thehill.com/news/administration/3493586-speculation-over-whether-biden-will-run-again-heats-up/

Man, I don't think the D's can run Harris, can they?

Newsom is interesting.

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Newsom is interesting.

No they can't - she's not popular - an opportunist who hasn't put in her dues to earn it - unlike other senators like Warren, Sanders, Amy K (I'd like to see her in the mix again but probably won't be).  All the GOP has to do is show those silly videos of Harris giggling when asked a tough question. <_<

Newsom has built a strong resume in California.  Being a governor of the largest state and not some senator of little accomplishment (Harris) would I think put him in a commanding position.   Yes, he had a difficult time with covid and faced a recall but he won his reelection without much effort. 

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Gavin Newsom has had his eye on a Presidential run since infancy. 

I agree - he's built his career to climb the ladder. 

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

Newsom is interesting.

No, they can’t run Harris or Biden unless they want to concede the WH right now. Of course they’ve done equally stupid stuff like running Hillary and then Biden. It’s just a fluke that Biden worked out because of his opponent and that won’t repeat with this economy.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Al Franken. 

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

No, they can’t run Harris or Biden unless they want to concede the WH right now. Of course they’ve done equally stupid stuff like running Hillary and then Biden. It’s just a fluke that Biden worked out because of his opponent and that won’t repeat with this economy.

I'm actually of the mind Biden has done a fairly serviceable job. He's been fantastic for restoring our global image and improving our relationships with our allies.

For my money Congress has become too dysfunctional and abrogates way too much of what it should be doing to the other branches. 

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'm actually of the mind Biden has done a fairly serviceable job. He's been fantastic for restoring our global image and improving our relationships with our allies.

For my money Congress has become too dysfunctional and abrogates way too much of what it should be doing to the other branches. 

Serviceable….okay, he’s been serviceable. But we should be doing much better than that with the highest elected office in the land. McDonalds is serviceable for food. It’ll keep you from starving but overall it’s just meh.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Serviceable….okay, he’s been serviceable. But we should be doing much better than that with the highest elected office in the land. McDonalds is serviceable for food. It’ll keep you from starving but overall it’s just meh.

You could get FDR, Churchill, Ghengis Khan, Charlemagne, Maximus Aurelius or any other great leader in there, and with the current congress and courts, they'd be serviceable at best. Like Joe Burrows at LSU vs Burrows behind our offensive line. There are vital parts of the machine that are incapable of functioning.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree. But given how dysfunctional our government is, the stresses of the job and the comparatively poor compensation, is it any wonder we can't attract the cream of the crop?

The primary process itself is also a huge barrier. The good candidates can't win a nomination. The few sane Republicans don't have a prayer. 

Just wait a few years until we've finally bottomed out into an authoritarian theocracy and have a dictator who's as incompetent as TFG or Desantis.  We'll pine for the days of serviceable or even Jimmy Carter or Gerald Ford

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I agree. But given how dysfunctional our government is, the stresses of the job and the comparatively poor compensation, is it any wonder we can't attract the cream of the crop?

The primary process itself is also a huge barrier. The good candidates can't win a nomination. The few sane Republicans don't have a prayer. 

Some people get mad when you blame the voter, claiming it's the system and the parties controlling the choices. And then the media, creating the narrative on their behalf.

But the American people have clearly been given saner choices, and chose to head in another darker direction that is definitely against the wishes of the establishment and its systems.

It's such a weird time right now. 

• Plus1 2
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election