The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

But I also think that's hand-holding voters. We need to collectively blame voters for their behavior because most of the blame goes towards nearly everything BUT them.

That's a chicken/egg issue, though. Yes, voters should be discerning enough to know believable from bulls#!t, but they're also impressionable - which is why advertising works. 

Voters have an obligation. The press has an obligation. Both have failed, hence the mess.

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

We're barreling towards authoritarianism because Conservatives think worldwide gas prices are more important than liberal democracy. 

This is SO true.  It amazes me the people I know that still are upset that Trump isn't President because of gas prices.  I even know a guy who wears a hat that says, "I miss mean tweets and low gas prices".  And, this is a pretty intelligent guy.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, knapplc said:

That's a chicken/egg issue, though. Yes, voters should be discerning enough to know believable from bulls#!t, but they're also impressionable - which is why advertising works. 

Voters have an obligation. The press has an obligation. Both have failed, hence the mess.

But, that also only works if you don't have media outlets like Fox, OAN and Newsmax and people who only watch those and nothing else.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is SO true.  It amazes me the people I know that still are upset that Trump isn't President because of gas prices.  I even know a guy who wears a hat that says, "I miss mean tweets and low gas prices".  And, this is a pretty intelligent guy.  

Yeah. One thing that makes me laugh is your exchange with Trumpy-Conservative posters on this board, practically begging them to detail how global gas prices would be lower if only Republicans were elected or if they came into power.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yeah. One thing that makes me laugh is your exchange with Trumpy-Conservative posters on this board, practically begging them to detail how global gas prices would be lower if only Republicans were elected or if they came into power.

I'm still waiting.  I've given multiple times lots of industry data and industry articles explaining why gas prices are doing what they are doing.  The only thing I've gotten back is a video of two political talking heads blaming everything on Biden. I would think these posters could back up their claims with real data and information......but, I guess not.

I'll still wait.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm still waiting.  I've given multiple times lots of industry data and industry articles explaining why gas prices are doing what they are doing.  The only thing I've gotten back is a video of two political talking heads blaming everything on Biden. I would think these posters could back up their claims with real data and information......but, I guess not.

I'll still wait.

Why would they reply though?  They'll have their fever wet dream soon enough with a christian nationalist authoritarian regime in charge replete with voting rights, gay rights, the right to choose who we marry, and on and on, all stripped.  Throw in the gutting of any governmental oversight or safety net and we're in the Republican utopia they never could define.  Good times ahead except for those instances when the kleptocracy pillages the coffers.  Or when Putin's raw aggression needs to be checked.  But maybe we'll just chop the world pot three ways.  One for Russia, one for China, one for US.  One for Russia ......

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Why would they reply though?  They'll have their fever wet dream soon enough with a christian nationalist authoritarian regime in charge replete with voting rights, gay rights, the right to choose who we marry, and on and on, all stripped.  Throw in the gutting of any governmental oversight or safety net and we're in the Republican utopia they never could define.  Good times ahead except for those instances when the kleptocracy pillages the coffers.  Or when Putin's raw aggression needs to be checked.  But maybe we'll just chop the world pot three ways.  One for Russia, one for China, one for US.  One for Russia ......

That’s just it.  The only reason they parrot those talking points is because it’s easy fruit to pick to beat Dems. To hell with reality. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I don't get this...why are you an so many others convinced that an R will become President next?

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, teachercd said:

I don't get this...why are you an so many others convinced that an R will become President next?

If the Dems renominate old Joe and if the economy is still in the tank (inflation, gas prices both high, etc) then the GOP could run just about anyone - maybe even a fake successful businessman who has the emotional intelligence of a 2 year old (sorry 2 year olds for the comparison) and the morality of a drunken sailor (sorry drunken sailors for the comparison)  

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If the Dems renominate old Joe and if the economy is still in the tank (inflation, gas prices both high, etc) then the GOP could run just about anyone - maybe even a fake successful businessman who has the emotional intelligence of a 2 year old (sorry 2 year olds for the comparison) and the morality of a drunken sailor (sorry drunken sailors for the comparison)  

I guess I can't imagine Joe running again.  

I also don't think Trump will run.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I guess I can't imagine Joe running again.  

I also don't think Trump will run.

I have hopes that both of those points become true.

Time for a new generation of candidates.   If the Dems go young, I would think they would have a very good shot.  Esp if Trump ends up convicted - then the GOP would have to defend their support for such a LOSER!

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think I've expressed this to you, but because of the increasing Red-shift of rural America, it's likely that a Republican candidate has a 55% chance to win no matter the econmic conditions of the country or who the candidates are.

Even in a hypothetical race between Herschel Walker (R) and the best Dem candidate you can think of, the odds are in Rs favor for systemic reasons. It doesn't matter what they do, say, their personalities, etc. I can explain why in a more detailed post if you'd like, but just know: it's systemic. 

Lastly, we need to put aside the nonsense that Biden won't or shouldn't run in 2024. If he's even remotely healthy, he provides Democrats far and away the best chance to win (45%?). Any other candidate lowers their odds considerably. NOTE: this is simply because incumbent candidates have an advantage, it has nothing to do with his quality as a President or the potential/lack thereof of Dem candidates. 

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election