Evictions - yet another crisis?

53 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It'll likely be a sh#t sandwich for tons of people but whatcha gonna do? Landlords and property owners have bills they have to pay too. I don't have a solution but can't let people live rent free.

Exactly...I get "giving more money" but maybe instead of giving it directly to people that are getting close to being evicted it should instead go right to the landlord, there are already a few programs like that.

But most landlords are people that own one or two rentals, not mege-landlords.  They need their rent.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Whatcha gonna do?

How about not waste millions of dollars in bailouts to millionaires and give that money to people who can't pay rent?

I understand this point and that is fine with me...but am I the only one seeing just about every freaking store and fast food place around with big old NOW HIRING signs up?

If your rent is 1,000 a month, you can certainly make that working full time at Target just to make ends meet.  That is what I would be doing.  Well, it is what I would be doing after trying to get money from the government first!

4 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

So we just have to go out and find a job eh?  It's as simple as that?

My son is no slouch and has been out of work since February.  Every job he applies for has THOUSANDS of applicants. He's a college student and he's competing for Target jobs with men and women who have 4 year degrees.

It's cut throat out there and there aren't enough jobs.

If his girlfriend wasn't working right now they'd be having to move back in with me.  The idea that just because some businesses have signs in their windows that everything is OK is ignorant in my opinion.  There is a struggle and it is real right now...dismissing it because you see signs in business windows isn't cool.

I am not dismissing it and I said the government should help.  

What happened when he did apply at Target and Wal Mart and fast food places?  Did he even get an interview?

I have a teaching friend that applied at a Target and he said he didn't get it and thought he didn't get it because he was a teacher and they knew he was still "working".  But that was just his guess, they didn't say that to him.

59 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Whatcha gonna do?

How about not waste millions of dollars in bailouts to millionaires and give that money to people who can't pay rent?

I agree with this. But why phrase it like that.....like I wouldn't agree that Washington should allot funds in a much wiser manner?

We don't have to argue about everything.

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree with this. But why phrase it like that.....like I wouldn't agree that Washington should allot funds in a much wiser manner?

We don't have to argue about everything.

I phrased it like that because I talk like that in real life. Not everything I type is me trying to pick a fight with you.

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

He didn't even get an interview...when he asked a buddy who works there to ask the manager at the Target he applied to, he said the manager told him that they got over 2 thousand applications for around 10 open positions.

What about Uber or Lyft, are those possibilities, probably depends on where you live.

Landscaping?  Painting, I have NEVER seen more people getting their houses painted than I have in the last 3 months.

Landlords and renters should have been eligible for the PPP loans that were distributed. These loans should continue to be distributed to small businesses throughout the pandemic and those larger businesses that somehow weaseled their way into getting those funds should be required to pay them back, with interest. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Landlords and renters should have been eligible for the PPP loans that were distributed. These loans should continue to be distributed to small businesses throughout the pandemic and those larger businesses that somehow weaseled their way into getting those funds should be required to pay them back, with interest. 

Weird how Trumpster tried to keep who got what money completely hidden, isn't it? 

And weird how the Trumpkins who were all about "drain the swamp!" didn't raise a peep when he made that decision, and haven't peeped one bit now that it's coming out all his cronies raked in millions that should have gone to renters and taxpayers.

Weird.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

That program wouldn't have helped many landlords.  it was mostly based around pay roll.  75% of it needed to go to payroll and then the only way it was forgiven is if you can prove your payroll didn't decrease.  Well....most landlords don't have a large payroll.  That's not where their expenses are.