2020 Season Is B1G Only

"One thing we have to realize that this is not a fait accompli that we’re gonna have sports in the fall," Warren said. "We may not have sports in the fall. We may not have a college football season in the Big Ten."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2020/07/09/big-ten-conference-schedule-commissioner-kevin-warren/5408232002/

3 hours ago, kansas45 said:

Thank you for the welcome. I believe you are correct in this in that most individuals wish to just read a "drive-by" and get all up in arms; but a lengthy post tends to make sure one covers the opinion with evidence and a sufficient rationale. It must be that "incoherent" is really "I don't want to read this" and "do not want to have to think and explain my views." 

Get a room you two,

Guy, I enjoy the debates we have on HB - lots more time to do so being furloughed still. lol.   I often concur in part and dissent in part.  I come to learn by the Socratic method I guess, by asking questions or answering back.  Like so many Americans, I worry about things beyond my control.  Husker sports is my “go-to” for respite from life’s big challenges.  Now even that is in jeopardy.

Huskers Forever!   

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Guy, I enjoy the debates we have on HB - lots more time to do so being furloughed still. lol.   I often concur in part and dissent in part.  I come to learn by the Socratic method I guess, by asking questions or answering back.  Like so many Americans, I worry about things beyond my control.  Husker sports is my “go-to” for respite from life’s big challenges.  Now even that is in jeopardy.

Huskers Forever!   

Husker football hasn’t been respite in at least 10 years. It’s torture. 

37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Husker football hasn’t been respite in at least 10 years. It’s torture. 

Well I know its been tough but I still have my pride in Big Red.  

It was heavenly for decades.  

There were those hard to take gut punch loss to Switzer and those dadgummits from TO on some sticky nights in Orange Bowls.  That Rose Bowl trip ruined me on California forever - hell I want to sell that entire dump to Mexico.  

But - even a Frosty 4-8 beats the ugly Corona Bowel we’re facing now.   

Bad respite beats no respite for me.   I live / work normally in Albany & Syracuse NY area.  The term sports here refers to baseball or hockey.  They dont know football exists.  So I need my Red nourishment of my soul.  

This guy seems a bit miffed at the Big Ten's decision:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/09/big-10-football-cancels-nonconference-games-2020-ramifications-coronavirus/5410182002/

The bigger schools are about to kill off the smaller ones, like condors devouring a flock of cardinals. Like vultures, really, picking at the dying, making sure they’re dead.

The five biggest conferences — the Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC, ACC and Big 12 — follow each other around, sniffing each other’s rear end, making up the rules as they go and forcing the other 250-plus schools in Division I, not all of which play football, to fall in line.

I guess this columnist feels it is the responsibility of the large schools to make sure the small schools' athletic programs are funded. 

That would be true, to an extent if the NCAA was like the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.  If universities were "franchises" within the NCAA Football League.  But the organization is only an association.  The closest thing to a league concept are conferences.

At the end, the point is probably moot for this year, since the chance the whole season just gets canceled is probably increasing each day.

There is validity to the fact that the P5 does push the rest of the teams around.  I wonder what % of athletic money is generated by the P5 schools vs the other ~200 non-P5 Division 1 schools across all sports.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

This guy seems a bit miffed at the Big Ten's decision:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/09/big-10-football-cancels-nonconference-games-2020-ramifications-coronavirus/5410182002/

I guess this columnist feels it is the responsibility of the large schools to make sure the small schools' athletic programs are funded. 

That would be true, to an extent if the NCAA was like the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.  If universities were "franchises" within the NCAA Football League.  But the organization is only an association.  The closest thing to a league concept are conferences.

At the end, the point is probably moot for this year, since the chance the whole season just gets canceled is probably increasing each day.

There is validity to the fact that the P5 does push the rest of the teams around.  I wonder what % of athletic money is generated by the P5 schools vs the other ~200 non-P5 Division 1 schools across all sports.

Capitalist society, writer guy.  Welcome to it.

• Plus1 1