2020 Season Is B1G Only

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Well, this news has me prepared for no football whatsoever.  Was really looking forward to CMU and Cincy games. There's only a handful of B1G conference games that excite me. I guess it will be less of a letdown now when they cancel the rest of them.

A big thank you to all the folks who did jack squat to help keep Covid from running rampant. You are why we won't have football.

this...

• Plus1 7

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Wasn't the Ivy League was first to cancel in the spring? Then the dominos fell...

Yep, and they decided to move their football schedule to Spring. Urban Meyer says that's a pretty terrible idea, because it would mean that players only have three months until the next regular Fall season begins, which wouldn't be enough recovery time for them.

https://247sports.com/Article/Urban-Meyer-spring-college-football-2020-season-Ohio-State-COVID-19-148988065/

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRJjYaLWgdGw

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer here:  I for one won't be paying my $30 upfront Oklahoma Cornhusker watch party seasonal fee.  I doubt there will be a season and I won't be sitting in a crowed watch party wt a lot of shouting going on even if there were a season.   At my age and risk issues, not worth the chance.  I had hoped to buy tickets to one of the games this year in Lincoln - not any more.  I've been an avid fan since 1970 - it will be very strange not to have an ear towards the radio, or an eye on the TV this fall following the Huskers. 

So a question I have - if the season is canceled, will current players be given an extra year of eligibility and if so, what does that do to scholarship limits, etc. ??

32 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer here:  I for one won't be paying my $30 upfront Oklahoma Cornhusker watch party seasonal fee.  I doubt there will be a season and I won't be sitting in a crowed watch party wt a lot of shouting going on even if there were a season.   At my age and risk issues, not worth the chance.  I had hoped to buy tickets to one of the games this year in Lincoln - not any more.  I've been an avid fan since 1970 - it will be very strange not to have an ear towards the radio, or an eye on the TV this fall following the Huskers. 

So a question I have - if the season is canceled, will current players be given an extra year of eligibility and if so, what does that do to scholarship limits, etc. ??

Not sure on the schollies...but they almost have to grant the eligibility, no?

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

They didn't for the baseball teams this past spring. That would really hose over incoming classes, no spots for incoming freshmen if rosters are full. I supposed you could allow for increased roster sizes but there would still be less playing opportunity, less travel opportunity, etc and seems like it would take 5-6 years for it to even begin to work itself back to normal. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Until it is definitive on what, if any season happens for this fall, I would doubt we hear much.  Once we see what kind of season there will be I would assume a few possibilities:

1) No season - eligibility extended, similar to how NCAA handled spring sports

2) ~10 game seasons (conference only) - most likely business as usual as far as eligibility

3) Truncated season (schedule is interrupted, most teams only play 2 or 3 games) - Who knows?

One solution for possibility 3 would be to treat it similar to the redshirt rule and say no one had the opportunity to play enough games, so eligibility is extended. Or they could treat it like the way basketball was treated - you got your season, so no eligibility extension. Of course there is a difference in this scenario vs basketball, where the regular season was completed, just not the post season. Possibility 2 is more similar to how the 2019-2020 Basketball season was handled.

Maybe if the season is truncated they try to come back in the spring to finish or play a few games.  Spring practice with actual games on the weekends, or something like that.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Until it is definitive on what, if any season happens for this fall, I would doubt we hear much.  Once we see what kind of season there will be I would assume a few possibilities:

1) No season - eligibility extended, similar to how NCAA handled spring sports

2) ~10 game seasons (conference only) - most likely business as usual as far as eligibility

3) Truncated season (schedule is interrupted, most teams only play 2 or 3 games) - Who knows?

One solution for possibility 3 would be to treat it similar to the redshirt rule and say no one had the opportunity to play enough games, so eligibility is extended. Or they could treat it like the way basketball was treated - you got your season, so no eligibility extension. Of course there is a difference in this scenario vs basketball, where the regular season was completed, just not the post season. Possibility 2 is more similar to how the 2019-2020 Basketball season was handled.

Maybe if the season is truncated they try to come back in the spring to finish or play a few games.  Spring practice with actual games on the weekends, or something like that.

Good options. A lot depends on if the current numbers get under control I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

They didn't for the baseball teams this past spring. That would really hose over incoming classes, no spots for incoming freshmen if rosters are full. I supposed you could allow for increased roster sizes but there would still be less playing opportunity, less travel opportunity, etc and seems like it would take 5-6 years for it to even begin to work itself back to normal. 

I could see that

21 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

The *did* grant the extra year of eligibility for baseball.  I think about six Huskers are coming back for an extra year on the diamond.

Those coming back for an extra year in baseball don't count against the scholarship limit for next year.  So you can still take a full new class.  There is just more competition for playing time.

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

So the non-Power 5 conferences will probably end up just cancelling their seasons because they will lose too much money without the Power 5 checks.  The Power 5 will all end up just playing within their conferences and see where we are in November.

Here is an interesting article: https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2020/07/big-ten-is-just-delaying-the-inevitable-forget-a-2020-rutgers-football-season.html

From the article: What would the “circumstances” have to look like for the conference to give the green light on its 2020 season?

And this, in my opinion, is where the decision to cancel the season will come down to;

From the article: If it’s not safe for a Rutgers freshman to sit in an Econ 101 lecture, it takes an NCAA championship level of mental gymnastics to explain how it makes sense to have that same teenager going through contact drills so he can play Ohio State in a few weeks.

Because if we are to take the adage that "the health and safety of our student-athletes are of paramount importance", seriously, the decision to pull the plug would have been done. When this realization occurs is when the decision will be made. 

Another article by the same author: https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2020/06/brace-yourselves-rutgers-fans-the-prospect-of-a-college-football-season-is-looking-grim-politi.html

From the article: Get ready for a new statistic if college football games are played this fall: Alabama is third in the nation in passing offense, eighth in team defense and an impressive 13th in positive COVID tests!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

The season should be cancelled and maybe next season too.  If we as a society are too stupid to look past 'cases' as our central metric for a sickness that has less than a 1% mortality rate (and even lower among young people), we dont deserve sports.  When we get past the mentality that we can make this thing go away or hide from it maybe there will be hope.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

The *did* grant the extra year of eligibility for baseball.  I think about six Huskers are coming back for an extra year on the diamond.

Those coming back for an extra year in baseball don't count against the scholarship limit for next year.  So you can still take a full new class.  There is just more competition for playing time.

You're right, my bad. Covid is ruining my brain. It was men's B-ball that got shafted by no concessions, correct? I mean, I realize they played most of the season, but the post season was just cancelled and seniors told good luck in the  NBA?