2020 Season Is B1G Only

Here is an idea I thought of that could work. Instead of starting the season on time with cases increasing, we just start it at a later date. 10 game season(possibly less) only for this year and we start after these dates.

1) Start the season on time after Labor Day- becoming less likely.

2) Start the first week of October- when regular conference games start anyway.

3) Start after Halloween- the schedule would just move back the playoff, CCG, and bowl games

4) Start after Thanksgiving- might have to condense the season some and play 8 games instead of 10. Teams would play 2 opponents outside their division- for Nebraska hopefully Rutgers and PSU, but more likely OSU and PSU. 

5) Start when regular bowl games are played/middle of December- might condense the season to divisional games only then the CCG and go to playoff/bowls. For those that play less games like the Pac 12, they just play an extra game during CCG weekend to get to 6 games or they just play the closest team in the other division. The goal would be to end the season by late Feb/early March. 

6) Start first week of January and play all 10 games. The goal would be to try and get the playoff by Easter. Spring practice is all but gone in this scenario. 

Numbers 3-6 would prevent an entire Spring ball season. Spring ball is cancelled most likely and fall camp can start earlier to make up for those practices. Another possibility is no contact practices in May/June when new students arrive as a Spring practice. 

Thoughts?

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Thoughts?

1. how does this mitigate the spread of the virus or contain and eliminate the potential exposure of the virus?

2. will there be college classes being held in person or as we say "face-to-face or f2f" for the entire student body?

3. how does this insure that the safety and health as being a priority for student-athletes?

4. is this plan based on there being zero cases in the country?

Edited by kansas45
added another bullet point
19 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

3) Start after Halloween- the schedule would just move back the playoff, CCG, and bowl games

4) Start after Thanksgiving- might have to condense the season some and play 8 games instead of 10. Teams would play 2 opponents outside their division- for Nebraska hopefully Rutgers and PSU, but more likely OSU and PSU. 

5) Start when regular bowl games are played/middle of December- might condense the season to divisional games only then the CCG and go to playoff/bowls. For those that play less games like the Pac 12, they just play an extra game during CCG weekend to get to 6 games or they just play the closest team in the other division. The goal would be to end the season by late Feb/early March. 

6) Start first week of January and play all 10 games. The goal would be to try and get the playoff by Easter. Spring practice is all but gone in this scenario. 

Numbers 3-6 would prevent an entire Spring ball season. Spring ball is cancelled most likely and fall camp can start earlier to make up for those practices. Another possibility is no contact practices in May/June when new students arrive as a Spring practice. 

Thoughts?

I think these (particularly 3 and 4) seem like a good compromise if we have good progress on lowering the number of positive cases by mid Oct.  3 and 4 also have the advantage of probably not really affecting the fall 2021 season, if things have started getting back to pre-COVID days.

It seems that teting positive to COVID-19 will determine whether or not a college team will play football, basketball, volleyball or soccar.  Since the latest news from Spain seems to point that natural immunity only lasts for a few weeks.  Would vaccines be any better?  To avoid the risk, all HS and College sports will be cancelled forever.  It doesn't stop there.  Cancellations would also apply to all indoor gatherings (movies, stage plays, etc.)  I hope that long term immunity can be developed, but if not....are we as a society really so risk averse to want to live in such a world?   

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Here is an idea I thought of that could work. Instead of starting the season on time with cases increasing, we just start it at a later date. 10 game season(possibly less) only for this year and we start after these dates.

1) Start the season on time after Labor Day- becoming less likely.

2) Start the first week of October- when regular conference games start anyway.

Thoughts?

BURRRRR!!!! Definately puts northern teams at a huge disadvantage. 

35 minutes ago, IlliniHusker said:

It seems that teting positive to COVID-19 will determine whether or not a college team will play football, basketball, volleyball or soccar.  Since the latest news from Spain seems to point that natural immunity only lasts for a few weeks.  Would vaccines be any better?  To avoid the risk, all HS and College sports will be cancelled forever.  It doesn't stop there.  Cancellations would also apply to all indoor gatherings (movies, stage plays, etc.)  I hope that long term immunity can be developed, but if not....are we as a society really so risk averse to want to live in such a world?   

the mumps vaccine is consdered one of, if not the fastest, vaccine ever created - it took 4 years.

you'll hear "experts" on this forum say there is no herd immunity.  if there isnt there is likely no vaccine and we are wearing masks forever.

i agree just social distance for all time

5 minutes ago, quesadilla said:

Many universities are trying to front load semesters and send everyone home before Thanksgiving in an attempt to avoid the anticipated second wave sometime in the late fall. I would think that seriously cuts against any sort late start in November.

I am curious to know why November is such a hard date to follow. I am under the impression that a virus does not know state lines, avoids international law, and cannot conform to a calendar. We are in summer and in the south we are seeing a higher number of cases in which we were informed that summer is when the virus would likely die out. This virus is quite resilient. I mean, if you HAVE to scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds (not 19 seconds mind you but 20 seconds), this thing knows no boundaries, no timelines, no laws, and could care precious little about football season.   

The plans set up by campuses to start later and end at Thanksgiving is TENTATIVE which means the whole thing can be called off at a moment's notice. I am stressing this and will stress this again: if a campus is opened up for face-to-face classes and if there is ONE case of covid, and I mean ONLY ONE case of covid, the WHOLE thing shuts down. This is no different than the scene in Caddyshack where there was a Baby Ruth candy in the pool. For those that do not remember it, here is a clip.

Baby Ruth Caddy Shack GIF - BabyRuth CaddyShack Pool - Discover ...

Universities are NOT front loading semesters in order to shut down to end before some "second wave"; a second wave could come in early October for all we know; they are hoping to gain as much tuition revenue as possible in order to stay afloat. They are attempting to avoid losing students who may elect to sit out a semester.

This whole thing of "flattening the curve" was the stupidest idea ever devised; because if you flatten the curve you still have cases floating around which can re-appear later; what you wanted to do was eliminate it. But you cannot really eliminate it but you could do a lot to decrease the spread of the contagion. 

Also, you can test all the live long day and people think "that will solve the problem." It does not. What it does is let you know that you were not infected AT THAT TIME. And since the results come back later, in the meantime, you could be exposed to it. 

If this is incoherent, so be it. It is probably incoherent not due to length but because people do not want to have to confront the cold hard reality. The Ivy League realized it and pulled the trigger. Other smaller conferences realize this as well and pulled the trigger; the dominoes are falling as we speak and this false philosophical premise "too big to fail" is going to come as an awful big surprise to a lot of folks. 

But a lot of folks are like this:

Billmurray Caddyshack GIF - Billmurray Caddyshack Babyruth ...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Your trolling might be more effective if you actually responded to the person that asked the question.

I am not trolling anyone. It is a perfect pictorial analogy. And I did respond to the person who asked the question. If I hit the wrong button, my apologies, but I included the quote that asked the question "thoughts?" 

55 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Thoughts?

Round peg in square hole or square peg in round hole? | plus.maths.org

Did you mean respond with text? Ok, square peg in a round hole to your plan. Or you are attempting to put a conventional wisdom idea into a totally different view.  You are using typical hope and potential delusion into a totally different problem with too many different variables. Is this satisfactory?
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

I am not trolling anyone. It is a perfect pictorial analogy. And I did respond to the person who asked the question. If I hit the wrong button, my apologies, but I included the quote that asked the question "thoughts?" 

55 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Thoughts?

Round peg in square hole or square peg in round hole? | plus.maths.org

Did you mean respond with text? Ok, square peg in a round hole to your plan. Or you are attempting to put a conventional wisdom idea into a totally different view.  You are using typical hope and potential delusion into a totally different problem with too many different variables. Is this satisfactory?

I did not ask the question "Thoughts?"

I assume you understand that word was in my post because I was quoting another poster.

Or, were you just trying to troll me but cut all of my response?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

a sickness that has less than a 1% mortality rate (and even lower among young people)

If only the mortality rate were that low. And even if it were, people really need to stop thinking of this as some black and white thing, where either you die or you're perfectly fine, or that it's something that only affects old people. Unless you think it's totally normal and OK for 30-somethings who were never hospitalized to be having strokes, or 20-somethings with Kawasaki disease-like symptoms.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1