2020 Season Is B1G Only

24 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

How about bringing  Notre Dame in as a one season free agent?  

Since Notre Dame has the agreement with the ACC for ~5 games a year, I saw a couple of stories speculating that they may just end up playing all ACC teams this year - since ACC may want to not abandon their agreement with Notre Dame this year in hopes of keeping it going forward when things return to "normal".

I think it would be good to bring in Notre Dame for a year, but would they also want one more team to keep it at an even number of teams so they don't have to have mandatory idle weeks? 

Of course that's the same issue the ACC faces if they bring in Notre Dame for the year.

2 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Since Notre Dame has the agreement with the ACC for ~5 games a year, I saw a couple of stories speculating that they may just end up playing all ACC teams this year - since ACC may want to not abandon their agreement with Notre Dame this year in hopes of keeping it going forward when things return to "normal".

I think it would be good to bring in Notre Dame for a year, but would they also want one more team to keep it at an even number of teams so they don't have to have mandatory idle weeks? 

Of course that's the same issue the ACC faces if they bring in Notre Dame for the year.

Maybe we can pay Rutgers to leave? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I don’t think any fans would be against bringing in Norte Dame. The problem is the league just cancelled all non conference games so I don’t see how ND is even remotely a feasible option. That just won’t happen.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t think any fans would be against bringing in Norte Dame. The problem is the league just cancelled all non conference games so I don’t see how ND is even remotely a feasible option. That just won’t happen.

Bring them in as a one season B10 member. Of course it’s kind of fun to think about them sitting home when all conferences cancel non-c games. 

but if I understand right the ACC maybe working on plans to include ND for this season only. 

4 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Love it! I worked out their schedule for them.

@OSU

MSU

NW

@Michigan

@Wisconsin
Purdue

Nebraska

@Iowa(night game)

Minnesota

@PSU(white out)

Welcome to The Big Ten. :woo

4 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

If it's serious we would have to hammer out that NBC still gets several games, which are now conference games.  Most chatter on our boards says it is moot as there won't be a season.

4 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Maybe we can pay Rutgers to leave? 

Maybe lend Rutgers to the ACC for this season.  Then change the locks and phone numbers. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, nic said:

Love it! I worked out their schedule for them.

@OSU

MSU

NW

@Michigan

@Wisconsin
Purdue

Nebraska

@Iowa(night game)

Minnesota

@PSU(white out)

Welcome to The Big Ten. :woo

That might be easier then what they’re use to. Got to hand it to them, they’re not scared. 

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

hat might be easier then what they’re use to. Got to hand it to them, they’re not scared.

This should scare them. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29447724/maryland-halts-football-workouts-nine-positive-tests-several-teams-staff

From the article: Maryland has suspended voluntary workouts for its football program after nine individuals -- not necessarily all football players -- tested positive for the coronavirus, the school announced Saturday.The nine people who tested positive were notified and are currently in self-isolation while university health officials monitor them. Contact tracing is ongoing through the Prince George's County Health Department, and anyone who is identified during that process will follow a mandated 14-day self-observation period, also under the supervision of university health officials.The report indicated an uptick in cases since returning to campus last month, as nobody had tested positive in a previous testing of 105 individuals in June.

This is not good news right after the announcement from the Big 10 and their rationale. 

Short article that talks a bit about the legal aspects of cancelling the out-of-conference games: https://www.anchorofgold.com/2020/7/10/21319579/anchor-drop-july-10-2020-lawsuits-are-coming

The problem with this, at least from a lawyer’s perspective, is that so long as the Power 5 conferences are insisting on playing conference schedules, it’s hard to make the necessary argument to invoke a force majeure clause: that the game literally cannot be played. Make an argument for why Ohio State can’t play Bowling Green, but can still play Maryland. The stated reasoning revolves around the fact that the Big Ten can ensure that Maryland follows its protocols but can’t do the same for Bowling Green; the actual reason is probably a bit more nefarious than that.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Has anyone named the "protocols" that they are supposedly worried about?

Very good point. If this is "best practices", then wouldn't all schools adopt these? This, I would think, would play into a legal expert's argument. If the Big 10 has strict protocols that ALL are following, how is it that Maryland and OhioSt had these cases? Bowling Green does not have the ability to follow the protocols? Bowling Green's medical staff is less competent than OhioSt's?  

They argue that the protocols will be followed but what of the travel? This league goes all the way from Lincoln to NJ. And they can insure that no one on the travel roster will contract the virus? 

The article that TOE linked to was very good. I especially liked: none of this is legal advice. While I am a lawyer in real life, I am also an idiot internet commenter.

But as pointed out by TOE:  force majeure clauses only apply if the game is literally unplayable.I’ll point out here that all of this reasoning goes out the window if and when the power conferences call off the entire season. Which is probably going to happen.

I still contend this is just to lower us down slowly instead of pulling the rug out real fast like the Ivy League and traumatizing everyone. By the time the lawsuits get filed, the season will be cancelled thus negating the court action and being dismissed.