2020 Season Is B1G Only

6 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

The more I think about this issue (and that's all I seem to do lately by the mere nature of what I do for a living), we need to think about asking different questions. So here are two I would like this august group of individuals to think about and respond to:

1. why SHOULD there be a college football season for fall 2020 given what we know thus far?

2. why should there NOT be a college football season for fall 2020 given what we know thus far? 

I think you can simply compile the answers you are looking for by going back through this and many other posts rather than rehash this again. I have no vote. I hope they make a decision soon and stick with it. 

1 hour ago, nic said:

Rutgers wants the academies to join the Big Ten for the COVID season. Sorry didn't want to start a new topic. 

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2020/07/heres-why-big-ten-should-invite-army-navy-to-join-conference-in-2020-after-patriot-league-fall-sports-cancellation.html

*A newspaper in New Jersey suggests it.

• Plus1 1
On 7/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, ZRod said:

Wasn't the Ivy League was first to cancel in the spring? Then the dominos fell...

Right. The Ivy League is not beholden to ticket sales, tailgating, and the pressure to support entire local economies so they seem to make decisions with the best possible information and the health of everyone in mind. Novel concept

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

Right. The Ivy League is not beholden to ticket sales, tailgating, and the pressure to support entire local economies so they seem to make decisions with the best possible information and the health of everyone in mind. Novel concept

I hear they're pretty smart too. A lot smarter than those nerds north of Chicago.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If only it were that simple.  They cant decide on schools, bars, churches, manufacturing, stores, malls, beaches, pools, picnics, playgrounds, etc etc.  Now NY state is blocking interstate travel.  

Its not just masks or 6’ spacing for some people some places.  

Four weeks until school is supposed to start for my grandson in a county with not one case ever!   

Somebody needs to decide something and proceed.  The virus is a fact of life, until a good vaccine is available.    If shutdowns are the only way - so be it.  The public can buy all the businesses they have destroyed.  

Many have already decided on bars, churches malls, beaches, etc and people went out and blew it.  Now many have had to shut down again.  We had a church here in Oregon with well over 300 cases.  They weren't even supposed to meet, but they defied the governor's orders. 

I don't recall which federal doctor it was, but he said if we'd wear masks and social distance for six weeks, we'd drive this into the ground.  I believe that.  I wish I could have happened months ago before things got out of hand.  

• Plus1 1

Here is an interesting  but sobering opinion.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2323690/college-football-season-in-serious-jeopardy-with-no-clear-solution/?show=comments

I was listening to the Hail Varsity podcast today with Chris Schmidt. I do not know what everyone's thoughts are on him but he made mention today that he seems to believe that if all the conference schools cannot play, that Nebraska could "go it alone" and set up their own schedule.

But from the article. 

Still, this is not the time for secessions, with hell-bent conferences staging regional competitions in a naked push for money. The sport must go down together, with unity and grace. This is not time to play with the health of over 10,000 student-athletes.

You can argue that young people are more resilient. How a great percentage of young carriers barely feel the virus. But these are unpaid amateurs. These are still kids. You can’t assume anything, or violate their future, when the numbers are still surging and the virus still evolving.

And you better not be the first university that ends up with a football player in the hospital, intubated, struggling to breathe.

Unlike the NFL, college football can’t cut a mercenary deal with its players. You can’t ask them to perform for their school while living in quarantine, separated from the rest of the student body. You can’t ask them to mash their helmets together in a petri dish when everyone else is studying online.

• Thanks 4
8 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Many have already decided on bars, churches malls, beaches, etc and people went out and blew it.  Now many have had to shut down again.  We had a church here in Oregon with well over 300 cases.  They weren't even supposed to meet, but they defied the governor's orders. 

I don't recall which federal doctor it was, but he said if we'd wear masks and social distance for six weeks, we'd drive this into the ground.  I believe that.  I wish I could have happened months ago before things got out of hand.  

Yea somebody posted that and I dont buy it for an instant.  If masks were the answer it would have happened all over the world years ago.   They are better than nothing but not much more.  About like slowing down from 75 mph to 50 mph right before you hit the concrete wall head-on.  You are dead either way but you might linger a little while longer at 50.  

This is a highly infectious bug that makes about 100 in 1 who get it very sick and a few of those die, especially id they are already very ill to start with.  

Wearing masks and social distancing (a politically correct term for half-assed self-quarantine that makes people feel better about not practicing what they

preach) does NOT stop the spread of the virus. It may slow it but either way we all end up sick in the end.  

Now this same character at CDC suggests 6 weeks to stop it - he dam well knows better and ought to be ashamed for making such a bold faced lie on such a serious topic.  Many people are afraid.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Let's bring Oregon into the B1G because I was really looking forward to the Oregon/Ohio State matchup.  

I like ND better. At least they are regional. Plus I want to see how they do. We would have to add another team to even this out, however. Who you got that is reasonable? I guess another independent or a team whose conference already canceled. How about Army? 

Yes I am ignoring all covid and mask talk going forward.:P

On 7/10/2020 at 2:29 PM, kansas45 said:

The plans set up by campuses to start later and end at Thanksgiving is TENTATIVE which means the whole thing can be called off at a moment's notice. I am stressing this and will stress this again: if a campus is opened up for face-to-face classes and if there is ONE case of covid, and I mean ONLY ONE case of covid, the WHOLE thing shuts down. This is no different than the scene in Caddyshack where there was a Baby Ruth candy in the pool. For those that do not remember it, here is a clip.

But the plans aren't tentative - if you want to end in-person classes by Thanksgiving that will mean some combination of starting earlier (and moving up orientation, changing contracts for non-12 month employees, etc.), cancelling fall break, Labor Day, and other days when campus is closed and no classes held, and.or amending class schedules and times to get the necessary number of hours in before the cut off.

Once you put those things into place you kinda have to follow through with it - unless you send everybody home even earlier.

Okay, I know there was this 'people in the midwest will follow the mask orders better" but I am not really seeing it, are you guys?

My gym:  maybe 1 or 2 masks

Summer conditioning:  No masks at all for athletes 

Grocery stores:  50%?

My hot neighbor while he is inside doing yoga:  No mask

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yea somebody posted that and I dont buy it for an instant.  If masks were the answer it would have happened all over the world years ago.   They are better than nothing but not much more.  About like slowing down from 75 mph to 50 mph right before you hit the concrete wall head-on.  You are dead either way but you might linger a little while longer at 50.  

This is a highly infectious bug that makes about 100 in 1 who get it very sick and a few of those die, especially id they are already very ill to start with.  

Wearing masks and social distancing (a politically correct term for half-assed self-quarantine that makes people feel better about not practicing what they

preach) does NOT stop the spread of the virus. It may slow it but either way we all end up sick in the end.  

Now this same character at CDC suggests 6 weeks to stop it - he dam well knows better and ought to be ashamed for making such a bold faced lie on such a serious topic.  Many people are afraid.  

sounds like Dr. Fauci's second prediction or flavor of the day.

• Plus1 1
On 7/14/2020 at 1:58 AM, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

The 6 win requirement for bowl games is based on having a winning record with a 12 game season.  Obviously that's morphed into occasionally allowing 6-7 or 5-7 in some rare situations. In the event of a 10 game season a winning season would be 5-5 or better, so if bowls happen that's the way they would look at it even if some other teams have 12 game seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_eligibility

I don't see us getting 5 wins with an all B1G schedule.  We will be lucky to get 4. 

On 7/13/2020 at 12:24 PM, Husker03 said:

I am not sure why you declare this as fact. You absolutely CAN have herd immunity without a vaccine, you just risk a lot more illness and death going about it that way. Virology 101

First, science has not shown that you remain immune to covid and if you do is it a month..?  3 months..?  a year..??  Second, to achieve "herd immunity" alone you would have to have 70% of the population infected at the same time... in America that would be over 200 MILLION people infected and millions of deaths...  Maybe you should take that 101 class again...        https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808

42 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

First, science has not shown that you remain immune to covid and if you do is it a month..?  3 months..?  a year..??  Second, to achieve "herd immunity" alone you would have to have 70% of the population infected at the same time... in America that would be over 200 MILLION people infected and millions of deaths...  Maybe you should take that 101 class again...        https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808

If there is no effective herd immunity possible, as you say, then the only hope is a near 100% effective vaccine administered universally in a matter of a very short period of time (three weeks or less).  The chances of that happening any time soon (next 12 mos for example) are nil.  

The shutdown is killing many non-covid people from many other things as timely treatments are not being done.  It is also creating massive non-medical suffering to millions and millions of other non-covid “cases”.  These are facts which cannot be dismissed as nuisances.  They are extremely serious issues.  

Too many seem to think that we can simply wait indefinitely to resume life and economic activity as if we are waiting in line for our turn to ride the new roller coaster at the park.  

Children must be educated.  If schools stay closed this fall, many or maybe most will have effectively lost an entire year of progress.  This takes a full year out of their working lives.  

Without a near term solution, then the only real option is to accept the virus will be with us no matter what, short of a 100% quarantine nationwide, with 100% shuttering of all international border crossings.  I am highly confident that the 65% or more of the country who hasnt been forced to stay at home, will strongly oppose.  This means ALL public employees, etc would be laid off without pay etc., unless you intend to pay the entire population to exist.   That only “fixes” the money issues but in no way can society function in such a scenario.  The fiscal hangover from such would likely be worldwide depression for a generation.  Totally unacceptable. The cure is far worse than the disease in my view. 

If three million die, its very sad but that may be the tragic case no matter what.  If trial vaccines are available, dont wait - use them as a trial.  

• Plus1 1