2020 Season Is B1G Only

I know people will say, "I don't get it, it makes no sense, South Dakota St is one state away and Rutgers is halfway across the country." But to me it makes perfect sense. Conferences have singular leadership, they can work under unified guidelines. Don't have to worry about which school is calling the shots, and schools abiding by difference rules. If a season is to happen, this is how you do it.

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I know people will say, "I don't get it, it makes no sense, South Dakota St is one state away and Rutgers is halfway across the country." But to me it makes perfect sense. Conferences have singular leadership, they can work under unified guidelines. Don't have to worry about which school is calling the shots, and schools abiding by difference rules. If a season is to happen, this is how you do it.

Yup, that's spot on.

By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

However, what if the Big Ten decides in a few weeks that they are canceling the season?  Will they allow singular schools to make their own decisions regarding football games and finding opponents?  The State of Nebraska is in decent shape regarding COVID-19, and NU has been diligent in testing.  Will the Big Ten allow Nebraska to schedule a few games on their own if Nebraska thinks it's safe to do so?

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

However, what if the Big Ten decides in a few weeks that they are canceling the season?  Will they allow singular schools to make their own decisions regarding football games and finding opponents?  The State of Nebraska is in decent shape regarding COVID-19, and NU has been diligent in testing.  Will the Big Ten allow Nebraska to schedule a few games on their own if Nebraska thinks it's safe to do so?

Question: However, what if the Big Ten decides in a few weeks that they are canceling the season? 

Answer: then we go visit our diehard friends as they are put in an insane asylum after being whisked away in a rubber truck when the news does come; or put them on suicide watch and encourage them to seek counseling but we are supportive but find out if the psychologist is any good before you schedule an appointment yourself; make sure that you do not go to a psychologists office that has any Husker memorabilia in it so as to not have a nervous breakdown in the office; take away all and any things that can remind you of football; find a hobby like fly fishing to occupy your time on Saturdays; many things that one can do. Maybe like seeing if one's ex-wife will let them use the bass boat you bought a long time ago that the new boyfriend is using.

Question: Will they allow singular schools to make their own decisions regarding football games and finding opponents?

Answer: No. If it is not safe for competition among the conference schools, then it is not safe to schedule an opponent. No AD or Prez is going to go against the conference; you would have nothing but total anarchy if such did occur; now, a school can cancel their season but if the conference cancels the season, they will not "go it alone." The media scrutiny will be too intense to handle and if such was stated, it will quickly be retracted. That would be liking sticking a hot poker in the eye of the conference essentially stating "we know better than you" in this case; however, they can use the "we know better than you if you are individually cancelling your season" as some smaller schools have done. 

Question: The State of Nebraska is in decent shape regarding COVID-19, and NU has been diligent in testing.  Will the Big Ten allow Nebraska to schedule a few games on their own if Nebraska thinks it's safe to do so?

Answer: No. Who are they going to schedule? Wyoming, who is in decent shape regarding C19? Idaho State? They have low numbers of cases. As long as there are "cases", it's a no go. Decent numbers still indicates numbers of cases. The only way that it can happen if there are ZERO cases and that is highly unlikely. NO school wants to be the epicenter of an outbreak or what I call "the Typhoid Mary" of college football.  All it takes is ONE case for it to come all crashing down. Testing does not confer immunity. Testing is only a test at that time but one can be exposed at any time. And if they are really serious about "student-athlete health", then they will not schedule a game or two just to satisfy the rabid thirst of fans for football. 

Didnt get read all thru this but I was figuring if big ten cancels about 40 non-conference games, most of which are home, the buy-out of roughly $700,000 each is $28,000,000 alone.  Then roughly $2,000,000 average for home revenues for 25 home gsmes lost by the conference for tickets = $50,000,000.  Lost TV and other revenues probably another $20,000,000.  

I estimste it just cost the Big Ten about $98 million to dump the non-con games in fb alone.  I am not sure how to guestimate losses for the other sports, etc.  

A massive hit to reduce some risk of some non-conference games.  How much riskier can it be to play SDState in Lincoln than play in Wiscy or Ill or Rutgers?   

Seems really odd.  Wonder what / who the new schedules will favor in the end?    

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

If this goes forward with only conference games (versus no games at all) expect litigation over the force majeure language. I think it will be difficult to defend if you are able to play some games but not others - ie how can you claim inability to play SDSU at home over traveling to New Jersey/Rutgers.  

A lot of this comes down to testing and safety protocols, rather than georgraphy. The B1G has plans and a budget in place to make sure all of their players are tested and isolated as much as possible, smaller schools like SDSU not so much.

Just now, Toe said:

A lot of this comes down to testing and safety protocols, rather than georgraphy. The B1G has plans and a budget in place to make sure all of their players are tested and isolated as much as possible, smaller schools like SDSU not so much.

Testing is not the only thing here; it is part of the plan. But no one can really stop a virus, you can only slow it down until it eventually dies out on its own. You can test on Thursday and still be exposed to it and develop the signs and symptoms with a test result coming back negative. This is why they will be doing daily temperature checks and symptom logs. 

I am quite sure that Ohio St and UNC and other schools had plans in place to make sure all their players were tested and isolated as much as possible. But guess what happened? So, their safety and testing protocols failed? Well, everyone is using the same protocols. 

This whole thing is going to be a total disaster.