Deontai Williams junior year?

Does anyone know if Deontai Williams is going to try and recoup his junior year with a medical hardship?   He only played in 1 game.     Or is he more inclined to try pro ball if he has a good year, or is he not thinking about that yet?    Trying to narrow down how many DB's we will go after this year. I am thinking 2-3 more right now if Williams plans on leaving.   

39 minutes ago, Big Red Viking said:

He's  a one hitter quitter.  One hit last year and done for the season.  Once the shoulder goes it's chronic, I'm hitching my wagon to an up and comer like Noa Pola-Gates...far more up side.

Here's why I disagree - in part time play in 2018, he had 2 picks, 2 forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. We are sorely missing playmakers on defence, and Deontai has the knack. Reminds me of Dejon Gomes that way. We don't need our entire defence to be that way, but we need some. Bootle is good, but 0 picks and 1 forced fumble each of the last 2 years aren't "playmaker" numbers. Dismuke has one recovery. 

Even playing much much less than many of the other defensive players, he's still statistically one of the few guys you could even consider calling a playmaker - Jojo (3.5 sacks, 4 ff, 1 fr over the last 2 seasons) and CTB (1.5 sacks, 3 ints, 4 ff, 1 fr) being probably the only other two. Maybe Pola-Gates becomes one, but Deontai has at least flashed the ability in games. I wouldn't write him off. The injury is the question for sure, but one big injury doesn't mean a guy is just injury prone. 

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Here's why I disagree - in part time play in 2018, he had 2 picks, 2 forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. We are sorely missing playmakers on defence, and Deontai has the knack. Reminds me of Dejon Gomes that way. We don't need our entire defence to be that way, but we need some. Bootle is good, but 0 picks and 1 forced fumble each of the last 2 years aren't "playmaker" numbers. Dismuke has one recovery. 

Even playing much much less than many of the other defensive players, he's still statistically one of the few guys you could even consider calling a playmaker - Jojo (3.5 sacks, 4 ff, 1 fr over the last 2 seasons) and CTB (1.5 sacks, 3 ints, 4 ff, 1 fr) being probably the only other two. Maybe Pola-Gates becomes one, but Deontai has at least flashed the ability in games. I wouldn't write him off. The injury is the question for sure, but one big injury doesn't mean a guy is just injury prone. 

Good points, we definitely don't have many play makers.  I'm still concerned with durability and would be happy to be proven wrong....time will tell :)

Just now, Big Red Viking said:

Good points, we definitely don't have many play makers.  I'm still concerned with durability and would be happy to be proven wrong....time will tell :)

True - I did forget your main point was the injury until I'd typed it up, it's a legitimate concern. And at least this year if it is a problem, guys like Pola-Gates and Farmer are a lot more interesting than moving CTB to safety and playing guys like Sullivan extensively.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:51 AM, Husker in WI said:

True - I did forget your main point was the injury until I'd typed it up, it's a legitimate concern. And at least this year if it is a problem, guys like Pola-Gates and Farmer are a lot more interesting than moving CTB to safety and playing guys like Sullivan extensively.

We definitely have more options this year.   I think the DB's are contending with the DL for best unit on defense.    I think it's

1) DB

2) DL

3) ILB

4) OLB