Ok...I’m confused and got a question. What kind of shorts do you wear? (Guys)

I’m 53 years old and my family has expressed that my shorts don’t work anymore. So, I basically have Three categories...

1) Dress Shorts - ok, we are in agreement here. They are nice for a nice day or evening out. Game on. 

now, this is where the arguments start. 

2). Cargo shorts - awesome for casual, golf, run to Walmart, drink a lot with the guys. 

3). Cut offs - the “I don’t give a f#&% what I look like, I’m working in the yard and they were old jeans with holes anyway”

My kids are saying #1&2 are horrible and never should happen. I say BS...they all serve a purpose. 

So, if cargo and cut offs are no more, what the f#&% do you wear in those situations?

serious question because I plan on retiring in about 10 years and I plan on living in nothing but shorts. 

Or, I say f#&% you and wear whatever I want.....and get off my lawn. 

and, yes I’ve been drinking. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Great topic!

Cargos are out, they just are, I wish they weren't but they are.  Camo shorts too and that hurts because I LOVED THEM.

You can't go wrong with golf shorts that are a solid color, you are fine with any of those.  https://www.walmart.com/browse/clothing/mens-shorts/ben-hogan/5438_133197_7361660/YnJhbmQ6QmVuIEhvZ2Fu

Those are awesome, I have 3 different pairs.

And shorts (unlike pants) let you sort of have fun.  

https://www.tipsyelves.com/mens-shorts

• Plus1 1

You be you.  But.....I don’t know about the cutoffs.

Dress shorts fine, unless you’re doing yard work.

Cargo shorts fine for just about anytime except when they should be dress shorts.

I wear Carhartt cargo shorts to work almost everyday when it’s warm enough.

Cutoffs....No, just never, no.

Gym/Basketball shorts, okay for yard work, play, exercise.

At least that’s what I do and I’m a few years older than you.

And I just asked my college age daughter if I’m some sort of unknowing dork.  She said there’s some idea out there that cargo shorts are not good now.

Apparently kids today don’t know what’s up.

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Great topic!

Cargos are out, they just are, I wish they weren't but they are.  Camo shorts too and that hurts because I LOVED THEM.

You can't go wrong with golf shorts that are a solid color, you are fine with any of those.  https://www.walmart.com/browse/clothing/mens-shorts/ben-hogan/5438_133197_7361660/YnJhbmQ6QmVuIEhvZ2Fu

Those are awesome, I have 3 different pairs.

And shorts (unlike pants) let you sort of have fun.  

https://www.tipsyelves.com/mens-shorts

Nobody over the age of 35+/- should ever wear anything from that tipsyelves link.

And yes, I was initially very hesitant to click that link based on your having fun comment. Thought for sure it would be something kinky or crotchless :lol:

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Nobody over the age of 35+/- should ever wear anything from that tipsyelves link.

And yes, I was initially very hesitant to click that link based on your having fun comment. Thought for sure it would be something kinky or crotchless :lol:

Hahaha!

Dude, it doesn't have to be tipsy elves but just fun shorts.  

And I will PM you the crotchless stuff.

• Haha 1

I just go with your basic cotton shorts that you can buy in the mens section at Kohls.  For running around I go with the thinner type of Under Armour shorts. You pay a little more but they work great and have good waist bands so they won't let you down there.

If it's going somewhere other than the store though yeah I just go with your pretty standard cotton short.  Cargo's are out like teach said but in the summer they are too thick anyway.  Great if you need multiple pockets though I suppose.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Man, that brings me back...those old Riddell shorts, with not one stitch of breathable fabric.

My HS was Purple and White...my coaches all had those shorts in those colors.

Yeah, my coaches wore those all thru Junior high and HS. And I actually wore some very similar in HS Tennis.

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I just go with your basic cotton shorts that you can buy in the mens section at Kohls.  For running around I go with the thinner type of Under Armour shorts. You pay a little more but they work great and have good waist bands so they won't let you down there.

If it's going somewhere other than the store though yeah I just go with your pretty standard cotton short.  Cargo's are out like teach said but in the summer they are too thick anyway.  Great if you need multiple pockets though I suppose.

I should probably specify (not that it will make me any cooler) but the cargo shorts I wear aren’t the classic big baggy pocket cargos. They’re a little slimmer. They still have numerous pockets but they’re more compact and not baggy.

I know, I know, I’m still probably out of fashion.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I should probably specify (not that it will make me any cooler) but the cargo shorts I wear aren’t the classic big baggy pocket cargos. They’re a little slimmer. They still have numerous pockets but they’re more compact and not baggy.

I know, I know, I’m still probably out of fashion.

Maybe post on another board?  Haha

My brother really got into the short shorts a few summers ago...my god...it was horrible.

Vineyard Vines probably has some decent stuff.