13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

1) Dress Shorts - ok, we are in agreement here. They are nice for a nice day or evening out. Game on. 

I've been going to some nicer golf shorts the last couple years.  I love them for golf but they almost feel too formal in a more casual setting but ....

2). Cargo shorts - awesome for casual, golf, run to Walmart, drink a lot with the guys. 

I've loved me some cargo shorts for a long time.  But @teachercd my wife and others have bullied me into being kind of ashamed to wear them anymore.  So I've been reluctantly phasing them out for fear of being ridiculed and being a fashion outcast (spoiler alert: other than a couple suits I bought last year (for the first time in my life), I'm not sure when I last bought clothing that wasn't on some sort of sale so I'm not exactly a fashionista).

3). Cut offs - the “I don’t give a f#&% what I look like, I’m working in the yard and they were old jeans with holes anyway”

I think we can all agree that this is probably out.

Like it's been said, above the knee (gotta show off those quads!), no cargos, etc. I've been buying a lot of my shorts (and jeans) from American Eagle cuz they have this crazy stretchy material that's super comfy and if you need to dunk on some fools or run a fly pattern at the park you can move with ease lol

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You put WAAAAAY more thought into your wardrobe than I. If it's comfy, isn't obscenely full of holes or raggedy, I'm wearing it. 

Oh for sure! My forté is suits and formal wear but I don't slack on the casual wear.

I don't really get to wear suits anymore being remote though so gotta get my fix somewhere.

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

Like it's been said, above the knee (gotta show off those quads!), no cargos, etc. I've been buying a lot of my shorts (and jeans) from American Eagle cuz they have this crazy stretchy material that's super comfy and if you need to dunk on some fools or run a fly pattern at the park you can move with ease lol

Unrelated to shorts, but Express has something like this with their jeans. They're my favorite place to get jeans now. A little on the pricy side but they have this awesome comfort stretch material in them and they usually have a BOGO sale every 6-8 weeks.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Unrelated to shorts, but Express has something like this with their jeans. They're my favorite place to get jeans now. A little on the pricy side but they have this awesome comfort stretch material in them and they usually have a BOGO sale every 6-8 weeks.

Express used to be great but everything is so freaking expensive now. I only go there during a clearance sales now 

27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've been going to some nicer golf shorts the last couple years.  I love them for golf but they almost feel too formal in a more casual setting but ....

I've loved me some cargo shorts for a long time.  But @teachercd my wife and others have bullied me into being kind of ashamed to wear them anymore.  So I've been reluctantly phasing them out for fear of being ridiculed and being a fashion outcast (spoiler alert: other than a couple suits I bought last year (for the first time in my life), I'm not sure when I last bought clothing that wasn't on some sort of sale so I'm not exactly a fashionista).

I think we can all agree that this is probably out.

Hahaha!  I am sorry!

This is a great topic, and it's been fun to read through the comments!!!

Just go with decent golf shorts for everyday wear.   Don't think they are "too nice" for everyday wear.  Cargo shorts are out, as are cut offs, even if you are working in the yard or on your car.  You just look like you have no clue and fashion sense when wearing those.

Get a number of athletic shorts (not BIKE coaches shorts) to wear around the house or do yard work.  They are more comfortable and functional than cut off shorts.  

While we're on the subject - again, fashion zero here - all the golf shorts I buy now come with the back pockets sewed shut.  Am I OK to cut those open and use them or is that a no-no?  Not sure if that's just to make them look nice on the rack or if they're supposed to be left that way.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I always think it's weird that people say you "can't" do this or that.

You can't wear cargo shorts.

You can't put ketchup on your hot dog. 

You can't be a Husker football fan and a Creighton basketball fan.

We're a weird society. 

I think it's OK to wear cargo shorts, they're just not fashionable anymore. But if I see someone wearing them I definitely don't judge them. I still have several pairs hiding around my house.

Tangent:

- Ketchup always belongs on a hot dog. Period.

- I'm OK with the Husker football fan / Creighton basketball fan. What I can't understand is when this type of fan then talks trash about the Husker basketball team and fan base. Seems weird to me that someone would bleed Husker red on a fall Saturday and then pretend the Husker basketball team is from Mars the next day.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

While we're on the subject - again, fashion zero here - all the golf shorts I buy now come with the back pockets sewed shut.  Am I OK to cut those open and use them or is that a no-no?  Not sure if that's just to make them look nice on the rack or if they're supposed to be left that way.

I have never noticed that the back pockets are sewn shut.  That's weird.  I would say it's ok to cut those open and make them functional.  I gotta put my golf glove in my back pocket between shots!

• Thanks 1

I'd be hard pressed to call my normal shorts "dress" shorts, but if thats what no cargo pockets and all interior pockets means then thats what I wear. I have basically purged any khaki color from the ones I wear the past couple years. Shades of grey, royal and navy blue and a redish pair are the go to ones for me.

1 minute ago, Omaha-Husker said:

I'd be hard pressed to call my normal shorts "dress" shorts, but if thats what no cargo pockets and all interior pockets means then thats what I wear. I have basically purged any khaki color from the ones I wear the past couple years. Shades of grey, royal and navy blue and a redish pair are the go to ones for me.

I am with you.  I have one pair of khaki colored shorts, and they are last in my shorts rotation.  I am looking to get a pair of scarlet shorts to wear this fall for Husker games.  I get annoyed when people wear the wrong shade of red for Husker games.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep!  Snip them open!

Not sure why they do that, does it help prevent people putting s#!t in that pocket and stealing from the store?

Get these colors...

Black

Tan

Blue

I would add in white as well, I love white shorts and then toss in one pattern pair.  

• Thanks 1