I have a few cargo shorts, I have some basic dress shorts, and I have a bunch of "athletic" shorts. The cargo shorts I wear for errands, the decent shorts I wear in public, and the athletic shorts I wear for biking or yard work.

Bottom line - everything I wear is comfortable to me.

5 minutes ago, Decked said:

From a 23 year old: anything shorts wise above the knee excluding jean shorts (unless it is ironically) is in..so long as they are not cargos. What do you need all those pockets for? What are you carrying? :lol:

Can of Copenhagen in the left big side pocket.

Money clip in the left front pocket.

Keys in right front pocket.

Cell phone in a right side outer pocket or big pocket.

Pen in one of the small right side outers.

Thats usually it.

On gameday you can get a couple beers in there and have room for your tickets :dunno

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Can of Copenhagen in the left big side pocket.

Money clip in the left front pocket.

Keys in right front pocket.

Cell phone in a right side outer pocket or big pocket.

Pen in one of the small right side outers.

Thats usually it.

On gameday you can get a couple beers in there and have room for your tickets :dunno

Okay...just wear carpenter jeans...

I don't even know who you are anymore....but man do I miss some Copenhagen...

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I know somebody that won’t be bumming a dip :lol:

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I know somebody that won’t be bumming a dip :lol:

Uggg...that is the worst!  

How many times in college did hear "Hey, JJ...can I bum one?" while they make the packing motion.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Uggg...that is the worst!  

How many times in college did hear "Hey, JJ...can I bum one?" while they make the packing motion.

More like how many times per day.

It was actually those US Tobacco reps on campus that got me hooked on the stuff. They would give away so many cans for free to college kids in those days. I bet I averaged at least one free can a week in college. In fact, I probably never paid for a can in college.  I’m sure that type of targeted marketing is a no no nowadays.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Wait...they gave tobacco away for free?!?!?!

Oh yeah. Tons of it. They had a Skoal/Cope van. I think it was dedicated to campus. Brilliant if ya think about it.

Had all kinds of swag too. Special brass chew boxes, can openers, can covers........

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I should probably specify (not that it will make me any cooler) but the cargo shorts I wear aren’t the classic big baggy pocket cargos. They’re a little slimmer. They still have numerous pockets but they’re more compact and not baggy.

I know, I know, I’m still probably out of fashion.

Hehe yeah I was thinking of the big and baggier one's.  I'm sure you look just fine JJ!

Agree with @Decked - the modern style right now is pretty much above the knee, no lower leg pockets (so cargo shorts are out) and preferably something that fits your leg length/physique. You can wear nice shorts (i.e. Polo Ralph Lauren) but should avoid material that screams 'these could've been dress pants but we just lopped them off at the knee.'

Jean shorts are still really iffy right now, IMO. I don't own any. You have to have the right style and body type to pull them off fashionably.

My favorite places to get shorts are either Polo or Bearbottom. I usually go with shorts in the 7-9 inch seam length so they're quite a ways above the knee. I also own a pair of Vineyard Vines shorts that are pretty great.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agree with @Decked - the modern style right now is pretty much above the knee, no lower leg pockets (so cargo shorts are out) and preferably something that fits your leg length/physique. You can wear nice shorts (i.e. Polo Ralph Lauren) but should avoid material that screams 'these could've been dress pants but we just lopped them off at the knee.'

Jean shorts are still really iffy right now, IMO. I don't own any. You have to have the right style and body type to pull them off fashionably.

My favorite places to get shorts are either Polo or Bearbottom. I usually go with shorts in the 7-9 inch seam length so they're quite a ways above the knee. I also own a pair of Vineyard Vines shorts that are pretty great.

You put WAAAAAY more thought into your wardrobe than I. If it's comfy, isn't obscenely full of holes or raggedy, I'm wearing it.