Fall Camp Notes

Mini-Camp starts tomorrow.  Brand new world for college football.

Sounds like the Huskers will go breakfast, walk through, lifting, lunch, meetings, one-hour practice.  They can do that five or six days per week.

No word on media availability but I would guess it's pretty limited until actual practice starts August 7.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Mini-Camp starts tomorrow.  Brand new world for college football.

Sounds like the Huskers will go breakfast, walk through, lifting, lunch, meetings, one-hour practice.  They can do that five or six days per week.

No word on media availability but I would guess it's pretty limited until actual practice starts August 7.

I think this is a great new wrinkle and would not be surprised if this becomes a yearly thing even after the pandemic.

With roughly a month left until the 2020 college football season is scheduled to kickoff, the NCAA has announced several changes for the upcoming season in an effort to minimize the risk and spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. Per a release from the NCAA on Thursday, sidelines will be expanded to 15-yard-lines this season in an effort to space out players. Pregame coin tosses will also have a different look, with participants limited to just two officials and a single captain from each team. 

Sidelines had previously extended to the 25-yard-lines. As for the coin toss, four captains from each team have traditionally been allowed to participate, as have ceremonial captains. The new coin toss restrictions will also apply to cameramen and other media members, per the release. The NCAA plans to send more information to member schools by the end of the week. 

Beyond football, the NCAA announced that players ejected for spitting at an opponent in both men's and women's soccer will have to serve a two-game suspension, up from the previous rule of an ejection followed by a one-game suspension. In women’s volleyball, the teams will remain on the same bench during the entire match rather than switch benches after each set.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Is spitting really a problem in soccer???

Didn't realize that.

57 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s done in Europe and Latin America as a way to insult an opponent.  Players will spit on an opponent.

Spitting is actually listed as it's own offense under the laws as a reason for sending a player off. So, it's a big enough issue it gets its own mention! Like ColoradoHusk said though it's way more common elsewhere, I rarely see it when reffing here.

In 30 years of playing soccer, I have been spit at once in what we call the Mexican league here in Vegas.  He was maybe 5'4 and me at 6'4 (btw, i too come from a naturally strong family :lol:) he missed as he was pissed off that he had no chance getting by me on defense, so he spit at me, i backhanded him and that was my last game in the Mexican league after we both go red cards.  That is the nastiest thing I think someone could do in the sport, but he will never forget being slapped like the little punk he was.

2 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

In 30 years of playing soccer, I have been spit at once in what we call the Mexican league here in Vegas.  He was maybe 5'4 and me at 6'4 (btw, i too come from a naturally strong family :lol:) he missed as he was pissed off that he had no chance getting by me on defense, so he spit at me, i backhanded him and that was my last game in the Mexican league after we both go red cards.  That is the nastiest thing I think someone could do in the sport, but he will never forget being slapped like the little punk he was.

5’4”? You know hitting women is illegal right?!