Fall Camp Notes

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If he can stay healthy, he could be a dynamic back behind Mills.  Probably the best combo of speed, quickness, and strength.  His health is his big issue.

I hope he can stay healthy, kid has major talent potential. I think he had the most impressive offer list of any back on our roster.

I think there's one element that can fly under the radar that you don't think about all that much where we've been lacking that past two years: Overall depth at a position that creates competition for the starting spot.

There are four RBs (at minimum; I could be forgetting people) that are either true freshmen or redshirt freshmen:

-Johnson

-Thompkins

-Morrison

-Scott

Any one of these guys could be RB2. Once Washington was outta here last season the overall competition at that spot dropped a lot IMO.

Really exciting to think about all that talent fighting for the backup spot behind Mills.

• Plus1 1

Ahh... a little bit later than usual this year, but we're finally getting this annual story/headline.

Nebraska offense is narrowing schemes down to Huskers' 'bread and butter'

Lubick, and run game coordinator Greg Austin, were straightforward offering their ideas. Nebraska’s offense has to decide what it does well, perfect that, stick with it and try to make the execution of those staples as easy as possible for quarterback Adrian Martinez and every other offensive player.

That means narrowing the scope of what Nebraska could do to where the talent lies, instead of picking a play out of the scheme bag — say, that shovel sweep pass on first down at Purdue’s 2-yard line. Lubick’s 17-minute chat with reporters had more hints and allusions to the shift. Austin is more blunt.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Jamin Graham and Pheldarius Payne have apparently switched positions.

Graham (listed at 6-4, 240) now working at DE.  Payne (6-3, 275) now working at OLB.

Word is Payne doesn't have the height/arm length to really be a top shelf DE in a 3-4.  I would have to think he'll play the strong OLB spot that Davis and Nelson played last year which is basically a stand up DE.  Might be a good option against power run teams.

Graham is obviously taller but will have to bulk up to play the DE spot.

• Plus1 1