Let's Watch: 1998 Nebraska vs. Washington

Thanks for posting these games.  It really is beneficial to the spirit to get a “fix” of some real football these days.  

I really enjoy watching me some run-the-dam-ball football.  

Ive rewatched the Big 12 champ game vs Tex A&m and the fiesta bowl vs Tenn with Frost and Dan Alex and Willie Miller (i called that backfield “tons of fun” ) as they just brutalized talented teams with Husker Power.   If only we can see glimpses of that in the near future, even just a quarter or two each week!     

20 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

My bad, ya'll. I was supposed to post this on Saturday, but time and memory are failing me in these times of pandemic. So, let's get together and watch the 1999 Nebraska/Washington game a few days late, shall we? 

FYI, Nebraska didn't play Washington in 1999, it was 1997 and 1998.

I loved this beat down so much. Any win over Washington is a good win for me.

Had a family friend on that UW team and he told us later that what made the beatdown worse was how the Nebraska fans were, “we couldn’t even hate their fans because they were so nice.” He also had nothing good to say about Nueheisel

21 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I ran into NBA player Detlef Schrempf at Sidetracks the Friday night before this game.  Detlef is a UW alum, and was there with Rich King (NU alum, former teammate with Seattle SuperSonics).

Detlef was the reason why WA high schools don’t allow foreign exchange students to play varsity sports unless they sit out a year, after he lead them to a state title. (the more you know)

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think I remember being worried about this game...

There was a lot of worry about the Washington game in 1997.  There were ranked in the top 5, while NU was #7 or so.  The Blackshirts made Brock Huard their b!^@h, eventually knocking him out of the game in the 2nd half.  Frost had a huge game, as Osborne unleashed a number of designed QB-runs out of the shotgun spread.  

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There was a lot of worry about the Washington game in 1997.  There were ranked in the top 5, while NU was #7 or so.  The Blackshirts made Brock Huard their b!^@h, eventually knocking him out of the game in the 2nd half.  Frost had a huge game, as Osborne unleashed a number of designed QB-runs out of the shotgun spread.  

There was plenty to worry about in '98, as well. That Louisiana Tech game left a few people unsure about the defense, and it was another top 10 matchup, only without Frost and Osborne. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

There was plenty to worry about in '98, as well. That Louisiana Tech game left a few people unsure about the defense, and it was another top 10 matchup, only without Frost and Osborne. 

I guess I just remember the game being a butt-whipping, and didn't realize UW was ranked so high for that game.  They ended up having a pretty bad season at 6-6.

9 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Relatively speaking, so did we. 

Considering the revolving door we had at QB that year, it was a tough year.  I am still mad at Solich for starting Monte Christo against Texas, which snapped NU's 47-game home winning streak.  NU's offense didn't get going in that game until Crouch was inserted at QB, and Texas stayed in the game until driving for the winning TD late in the 4th quarter.  Ricky Williams was also as stud in that game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

This game has my best Husker game story.

Maybe 2 years prior to this game my sister had married a guy who was a Seattle native.  Not a huge Dawg fan but his Dad played college football and had some connections in the coaching ranks.   One of these contacts was a unnamed friend who was a buddy of Coach Lambright. 

We were told that this friend would be happy to get us some tickets to the NU v. UW game in 1998, just just had to talk to Coach Lambright and get us on the 'list'.   My BIL did relay that this was a really good person who was going to arrange this for us but he was a bit flighty and had a tendency to forget things.

We contacted them a few times leading up to the game on where to get tickets, who to ask for, where to go.  We were just told that our name would be on the 'list' and to get to the UW ticket entrance.  We were pretty sure we weren't on the 'list'!.

I worked overnight the previous day, so with just a couple hours sleep my Dad called me and asked if we were going to go down and see if we were going to get in.  This was 1990's Husker football, lack of sleep was NO issue for my 28 year old self so I got up and we drove down to Lincoln not sure if we had tickets for not.

Upon arrival we waded through the crowd and made our way over to a particular entrance where we saw a single ticket taker dressed in purple and white helping what looked like parents of players enter the facility.  We mustered up some courage, and decked out in our Husker gear we approached the UW ticket taker and told them our plight.

We told him we were supposed to be on the 'list' of guests of Coach Lambright and that 2 tickets would be available to us.

This person apparently heard what he needed to and said "OK! I just need you to talk to this gentleman right over there'.  He pointed and motioned to a man sitting 20 feet away who rose and asked us to come over.  We were now inside the stadium and could have made a break for it and found somewhere to stand to watch the game!  However, Dad walked over and retold our story to this man who proceeded to pull out a clipboard and check if we were indeed on the 'list'.  It existed!!!  However, our names did not exist on the list!

After 10 seconds of checking through his papers he said "Oh, here's what well do".  He reached into his back pocket and retrieved an envelope which held probably 15 tickets that we believe were indeed for Coach Lambright or 'Friends of UW'.  He asked us to write our names down, handed us 2 of these tickets and told us to enjoy the game!!!!

We ended up in row 8 or so of the visitor section.  Our row was sparsely populated due to the unused tickets back in the gents pocket.

Due to being in the corner and down very low we couldn't see much, but we enjoyed NU pounding UW from the comfortable confines of Coach Lambrights section. 

Great memory for us!

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1