TE Kaden Helms [Oklahoma - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

33 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Helms commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

This conversation happens every year.  This is nothing new.  Omaha kids are different from the rest of Nebraska.  For the most part, they do not live husker red.  

Under Frost, Omaha contributes about the same number of players as the rest of the state.

Omaha Metro Area: Thomas Fidone, Teddy Prochaska, Koby Bretz, AJ Rollins, Zavier Betts, Nick Heindrich, Chris Hickman

Rest of Nebraska: Cam Jurgens, Garrett Nelson, Garrett Snodgrass, Ethan Piper, Issac Gifford, James Carnie, Henrich Haarberg

We've made mistakes of slow playing guys (Harrison Phillips), recruiting them at positions they don't want to play (Noah Fant), and just missing them completely (Easton Stick). I don't see those mistakes with Dickerson, Woods, Jackson, Helms, or Riley. We just need to be more consistent at winning and have more attractive playing opportunities. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, The_Fan_Man said:

Under Frost, Omaha contributes about the same number of players as the rest of the state.

Omaha Metro Area: Thomas Fidone, Teddy Prochaska, Koby Bretz, AJ Rollins, Zavier Betts, Nick Heindrich, Chris Hickman

Rest of Nebraska: Cam Jurgens, Garrett Nelson, Garrett Snodgrass, Ethan Piper, Issac Gifford, James Carnie, Henrich Haarberg

We've made mistakes of slow playing guys (Harrison Phillips), recruiting them at positions they don't want to play (Noah Fant), and just missing them completely (Easton Stick). I don't see those mistakes with Dickerson, Woods, Jackson, Helms, or Riley. We just need to be more consistent at winning and have more attractive playing opportunities. 

Watts is another one. You’re not batting as high as a percentage of getting those players from omaha as the rest of the state. Very rarely does a player outside of omaha that is wanted by NU go to another school. Williams is one that obviously went to Wisky but almost got landed by Scott and Co. would probably be a Husker if not for the coaching change from the 4-3 to the 3-4. I would also take Fidone out. Although that was a massive win. It just seems 50/50 odds if an omaha kid will be a Husker versus much higher odds if they are from anywhere else in the state. 

15 hours ago, Decked said:

Watts is another one. You’re not batting as high as a percentage of getting those players from omaha as the rest of the state. Very rarely does a player outside of omaha that is wanted by NU go to another school. Williams is one that obviously went to Wisky but almost got landed by Scott and Co. would probably be a Husker if not for the coaching change from the 4-3 to the 3-4. I would also take Fidone out. Although that was a massive win. It just seems 50/50 odds if an omaha kid will be a Husker versus much higher odds if they are from anywhere else in the state. 

I do agree that there is a bit more opportunity in Omaha to look elsewhere but I don't see it as anything too much different than the rest of the state. Most guys want to play at Nebraska with some Notre Dame fans thrown in the mix but even then I see it as parallel fandoms.

Not to rehash old stuff, but I think that Pelini did a poor job managing the state of Nebraska generally and overlooked Omaha specifically. He'd rather take a fringe guy from Youngstown Cardinal Mooney than Omaha Central.

Look at his in-state recruits;

Omaha: Bronson Marsh, CJ Zimmerer, Sean Fisher, Collins Okafor

Rest of State: Mick Stoltenberg, Jerald Foster, Luke Gifford, Josh Banderas, Sam Cotton, Ryan Reeves, Zach Sterup, Daniel Davie, Andrew Rodriguez, Tyler Evans, Jake Cotton, Cole Pensick, John Levorson, Micah Kreikmeier

Frost doesn't have those problems. I'm going to reiterate that I think it's just a matter showing a product that players can see themselves thriving in.

Kaden Helms is a good player and mentioned his discussions with Scott Frost specifically when saying he was looking elsewhere. That's the sign of a head coach that is engaging himself with players. That sort of thing can pay off.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• Mavric changed the title to TE Kaden Helms
  • 2 months later...

35 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Talk him into playing linebacker

Agree, not arguing, but maybe kid was set on playing offense. Truly wonder if Jurgens signs with Nebraska if they would’ve recruited him as a center

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

It's nice to see that the Nebraska kids are getting to play at places like Auburn, Missouri and OU.  One can see that at least the high schools are producing talented players.  When one sees this kind of talent in the state one can at least begin to see that if we could get back to our roots that we have players in which a program could be developed.  For me, it appears that there is a better base of development within the High Schools in Nebraska then their use to be.  So, if one could get back to the basics at OL and DL you would think one could formulate a way to keep and develop these kids that are going to solid programs and then add in the flair we use to be able to attract on the perimeter.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to TE Kaden Helms [Oklahoma Commit]
  • 4 months later...
  • Mavric changed the title to TE Kaden Helms [Oklahoma - Signed LOI]