TE Kaden Helms [Oklahoma - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

33 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Helms commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, deedsker said:

If I was a person of color, I wouldn't even consider Iowa.

ISU is building something pretty special with Campbell.

But if your rationale for cutting Nebraska is wanting to get away from home, in what ways are Iowa City or Ames better than Lincoln?

FWIW, I don't buy that it's solely wanting to get out of the state. I'm sure that's a decent part of it, and I'd be surprised if he ended up at Iowa or ISU. But with a top ten you already know a couple of those are extreme longshots - if you're not throwing the home state team in there it's because they've been bad.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

But if your rationale for cutting Nebraska is wanting to get away from home, in what ways are Iowa City or Ames better than Lincoln?

FWIW, I don't buy that it's solely wanting to get out of the state. I'm sure that's a decent part of it, and I'd be surprised if he ended up at Iowa or ISU. But with a top ten you already know a couple of those are extreme longshots - if you're not throwing the home state team in there it's because they've been bad.

They aren't Nebraska and those two are Iowa? Ames is 2 and half hours from Omaha and Lincoln is a half hour. Iowa City is 4 hours. Plus, people say you are from Nebraska and if you don't like that connotation, you won't like hearing about playing at Nebraska. Iowa /= Nebraska.

If you want a good reason for him to consider Iowa, all I got is :dunno. I don't blame him for wanting or considering ISU.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The fact that Nebraska just landed the #1 TE in the previous class, AND a very highly thought of TE, also in the previous class, had to of played some role.... Not saying Nebraska lands him if those guys aren't there....

Are you saying he’s going to play TE instead of WR in college?

I'll only be disappointed in a kid from Nebraska going to a different school if the school they choose is somewhere else in be B1G, especially the West.

Recruitings, Recruiting. It just sucks this had to be the year where the top players in the state all want to get away. If this year was sprinkled with previous years where the LB from Burke was in the same class as Hickman and Henrich, the OL from Central was in last years class and then Helms and Riley were split between this years class and next years, there would not be as much hand wringing.

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I'll only be disappointed in a kid from Nebraska going to a different school if the school they choose is somewhere else in be B1G, especially the West.

Recruitings, Recruiting. It just sucks this had to be the year where the top players in the state all want to get away. If this year was sprinkled with previous years where the LB from Burke was in the same class as Hickman and Henrich, the OL from Central was in last years class and then Helms and Riley were split between this years class and next years, there would not be as much hand wringing.

What is so weird is how all of them this year have no interest while the last few years we’ve gotten the majority of the best in the state. 

Winning has been an issue the whole time. So, it’s odd to me that all of sudden no-one in this class wants Nebraska. I wonder how much recruits in the state talk to each other. 

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What is so weird is how all of them this year have no interest while the last few years we’ve gotten the majority of the best in the state. 

Winning has been an issue the whole time. So, it’s odd to me that all of sudden no-one in this class wants Nebraska. I wonder how much recruits in the state talk to each other. 

Omaha kids tend to think Nebraska as a state in general is lame. They grow up thinking they have the best the state has to offer there and when they have become bored with that after 18 years, they set their sites on what they perceive to be bigger and better things.  Maybe they find something out there wonderful, but I am guessing that most of them will end up seeing that going to school and playing football in the college scenes are similar about anywhere you go.  Ya, maybe you can ski a few more times if you go to Denver and maybe you can beach a few more times if you go to Miami, but all in all, your time will be spent training and in class if you want to make it at the next level.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Omaha kids tend to think Nebraska as a state in general is lame. They grow up thinking they have the best the state has to offer there and when they have become bored with that after 18 years, they set their sites on what they perceive to be bigger and better things.  Maybe they find something out there wonderful, but I am guessing that most of them will end up seeing that going to school and playing football in the college scenes are similar about anywhere you go.  Ya, maybe you can ski a few more times if you go to Denver and maybe you can beach a few more times if you go to Miami, but all in all, your time will be spent training and in class if you want to make it at the next level.

I would be careful to generalize an entire city based on a handful of recruits. Jared Bubak and Bryson Williams turned down their hometown Huskers for their own reasons as well. The fact of the matter is we are going to struggle signing the top guys in the region until we start winning more often and regain some level of prominence. Many of the programs being considered ahead of Nebraska have been winning a lot more often lately. If we can get back on track this season and show some promise, we might sneak back up some of these lists. At this point, we're selling hope of what we could be instead of how we're actually playing on the field, and that has to change this fall.

And as far as the "college scenes are similar about anywhere you go" line... I will beg to differ. 

• Plus1 1
On 3/30/2021 at 10:53 AM, Husker in WI said:

Bottom line is it's a lot easier to get 18-year-olds to want to live in Lincoln, Nebraska, if they know the team is going to be good and that they can develop into NFL players. Which they don't right now. I'm not that concerned, but I do think the honeymoon period with in-state kids where we could sell the program's potential is over. We need to win games now if we want to keep good in-state kids. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to TE Kaden Helms [Oklahoma - Signed LOI]