Chicken & 40 Cloves of Garlic

I have no idea where I ran across this recipe but I've made it maybe 100 times in the past 20 years. Family favorite, and really easy.

Chicken & 40 Cloves of Garlic

2-3lbs chicken legs & thighs

2tbsp butter

2tbsp olive oil

Salt & Pepper to taste

40-ish cloves of garlic, separated from the head & peeled

1 1/4 cup chicken broth

1 cup dry white wine

1 baguette, sliced into rings

Rinse chicken and pat dry.  Combine butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle salt & pepper over chicken.  Add half of chicken pieces to pan; cook until golden on each side, about eight minutes. Remove from pan, keep warm.  Repeat with remainder of chicken. Do not drain pan.

Reduce heat to medium.  Add garlic, cook until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently.  Add wine & scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, then add broth. Arrange chicken on top of garlic, cover and cook until chicken is done.  Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.  Increase heat to medium-high, cook another 10 minutes until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup.  Arrange two or three baguette rings in a dinner bowl. Add chicken, top with two or three ladles full of broth.

If you're avoiding alcohol, substitute an additional 1 cup chicken broth for the wine.

8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

We've made a similar recipe the last couple years but with pork chops and red wine. Basically the same but calls for 4 pork chops and 20 cloves of garlic. We got it from a Pioneer Woman cookbook.

Was the last step something like "Hope Pa likes it and doesn't get angry" . 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, teachercd said:

Was the last step something like "Hope Pa likes it and doesn't get angry" . 

The Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) has quite an empire in Oklahoma.  She married into one of the wealthiest ranching families in Oklahoma, and has had a show on Food Network for ~10 years.  Supposedly her husband is worth $200 million.  Her show isn't a bad watch on a lazy Sunday morning.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) has quite an empire in Oklahoma.  She married into one of the wealthiest ranching families in Oklahoma, and has had a show on Food Network for ~10 years.  Supposedly her husband is worth $200 million.  Her show isn't a bad watch on a lazy Sunday morning.

I have seen it a few times.

I think my favorite "cooking show" is Diners, Drive-ins and dives.