And now at TCU...

Mavric

So let me see if I am understanding this correctly...  Kid gets told to stop saying n word, kid complains coach called him an n word and bunch of kids sit out.  Kid gets called out for lying by other team mates and then all talk about it and say coach should never say n word even when telling kid not to be saying it.  

This correctly sum it up?  If not I am really confused.

23 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

So let me see if I am understanding this correctly...  Kid gets told to stop saying n word, kid complains coach called him an n word and bunch of kids sit out.  Kid gets called out for lying by other team mates and then all talk about it and say coach should never say n word even when telling kid not to be saying it.  

This correctly sum it up?  If not I am really confused.

Mostly, except I don't think he said the coach called him that. They just don't like that the coach said it at all, which is fair but a lesser offense. And so they're not calling him out for lying exactly, but for making as big a deal as if the word was directed at him.

There's definitely a mindset (particularly in Patterson's age group) that using the word when talking about somebody black using it is fine. Like the example, "stop saying ******," etc. But sounds like they made it clear to Patterson that it's still not a good reason.

• Plus1 1

So, a briefer summary.....player says N word, coach tells him to not use N word, then players complain because coach used the N word while telling him what word he was not to use. :facepalm:. I'd send his a$$ back to Pitt too. Just play the fricken game you're there to play football not invent problems that don't exist.  This sh#t is getting out of control.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, RedSavage said:

It’s their word, so it’s ok when they say, just not when white people say it.  

/s...kinda

I pretty much agree. It really is an awful word with such a negative meaning that it shouldn't be used ever. I chalk it up to the whole you should emulate the change you wish to see. If it's not ok for one person to use it, then it should not be ok for another, regardless of the color of their skin. If we really want to move past seeing each other as black, white, hispanic, asian, etc, then we as a society could start with something as simple as that. 

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

^ whitesplaining

It’s part of black culture. You can’t strip everything away from all cultures until you are left with things that are fine in every culture. You’re taking away a lot from a lot of people, then.

So who gets to pick and choose what is acceptable for a culture or subculture? The consensus of what is acceptable has to be more than "it is part of our culture so it is ok". There is some crazy stuff that happens in this world that is accepted in some cultures.

The only part of Patterson's apology is the "in any context is unacceptable" part. That's not true, and that's not something we should believing.

Obviously we already don't believe it because black communities say it all the time. Hip hop uses it all the time. So there's at least some contexts. As far as contexts for white people, should we censor actual quotes from the slavery south? Modify old literature? Depict our racist past in film but not honestly? If your conflict is sanitized and PG, so is your redemption.

4 hours ago, jaws said:

So who gets to pick and choose what is acceptable for a culture or subculture? The consensus of what is acceptable has to be more than "it is part of our culture so it is ok". There is some crazy stuff that happens in this world that is accepted in some cultures.

Why does it have to be more than cultures defining things for themselves? Seems pretty simple, live and let be. Unless you're going to respond with, "But what about cannibals and genital mutilation!?", in which case, you let people be until there's an immediate threat of harm. 

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The only part of Patterson's apology is the "in any context is unacceptable" part. That's not true, and that's not something we should believing.

Obviously we already don't believe it because black communities say it all the time. Hip hop uses it all the time. So there's at least some contexts. As far as contexts for white people, should we censor actual quotes from the slavery south? Modify old literature? Depict our racist past in film but not honestly? If your conflict is sanitized and PG, so is your redemption.

Honest question: is it the difference in the word ending in "a" instead of "er"?  The former seems to be acceptable in the contexts you mentioned.  But the latter causes much consternation.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Honest question: is it the difference in the word ending in "a" instead of "er"?  The former seems to be acceptable in the contexts you mentioned.  But the latter causes much consternation.

To me the difference is, at least in it's simplest terms for white folk, are you using the word against someone or referring to someone(s), or are you reciting/referencing the word? 

What Patterson did was dumb, but there wasn't anything 'wrong' with it further than that imo. In contrast, if someone said "a bunch of dirty n-words moved in on my street," we wouldn't be like, "oh cool he didn't say the word so he's obviously not racist" :lol: 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Why does it have to be more than cultures defining things for themselves? Seems pretty simple, live and let be. Unless you're going to respond with, "But what about cannibals and genital mutilation!?", in which case, you let people be until there's an immediate threat of harm. 

I can agree with that. Now, who gets to define the culture of a football team? 

*Just before anyone says I am defending Patterson's usage of the word, I am not. Even if he didn't want anyone saying that word, he didn't actually need to say it.