Top 5 Nebraska Teams of All-Time

1994 has to be on the list ahead of 1997, based purely on the fluky way NU beat Missouri that year.  The '94 team had a more dominant defense when it was needed.  It may not have been as high scoring as the '97 team, but in a head to head matchup, give me the 94 team (as long as Frazier is the QB).

I love the '83 team, but they can't be in the top 5 because they didn't win the National Championship.  I know they did everything but do that, but they lost, and the other 5 teams didn't.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

1994 has to be on the list ahead of 1997, based purely on the fluky way NU beat Missouri that year.  The '94 team had a more dominant defense when it was needed.  It may not have been as high scoring as the '97 team, but in a head to head matchup, give me the 94 team (as long as Frazier is the QB).

I love the '83 team, but they can't be in the top 5 because they didn't win the National Championship.  I know they did everything but do that, but they lost, and the other 5 teams didn't.

And here is the subjective part....

83 may not have won the title that they should have and deserved to but that offense was otherworldly. The points and yards they put up at that time in CFB was unheard of. Of course I’m biased as I was on campus at that time. They destroyed people and didn’t need any fluke plays to stay in the hunt.....but yeah, they lost. Shoulda had two in a row. I still rank them ahead of a couple that actually got the natty.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

And here is the subjective part....

83 may not have won the title that they should have and deserved to but that offense was otherworldly. The points and yards they put up at that time in CFB was unheard of. Of course I’m biased as I was on campus at that time. They destroyed people and didn’t need any fluke plays to stay in the hunt.....but yeah, they lost. Shoulda had two in a row. I still rank them ahead of a couple that actually got the natty.

I get it.  I remember a lot of that season.  There is a difference between "best" and "most accomplished".  If it's by "best" then the '83 team is probably 3rd in my rankings (behind 71 and 95), but they aren't the "most accomplished" because of their loss in the Orange Bowl.  The 1982 team is definitely in my list of top 10 teams of all time at Nebraska.

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The 1983 team is before most anyone here's time. But I was a kid in 1983

Are you age shaming me? :lol:

I’ve come to discover there are quite a few on the board who are even older than me. That’s old!  But it was more fun when everyone pretended you were the old fart of Huskerboard.

I think the only home game I didn’t go to in the early 80’s was Oklahoma in 82 or 83. I went home for the Thanksgiving weekend and when I got back to the frat Sunday night there was a huge chunk of the goalpost in my bed.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are high if you think 97 is the best. I guess there is a difference between your favorite and the best.

It is my opinion. And I was unaware that you are ultimate authority on all matters. I happen to think that the 1997 team was the best. They were unbeaten, won the NC, was not mired in controversy, defense was very good, offense had Ahman Green; in my opinion they were able to execute the offense with very good timing and precision. 

Heck, the guy who wrote the article put them at 3; going to diss him for that? Was he "high" because he chose that? But I defer to you since you are the "all knowing".  

Monty Python Brian GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

20 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Here's a really hot take from someone who was born 2 years later: 1982 Nebraska > 1983 Nebraska. 

A. No

B. That's not super crazy. But 1983 was to 1982 what 1995 was to 1994. Sometimes all it takes is an off-season to think about it.

Sad thing is, it took Osborne another ten years to get a team that good. And another year to make that good team champions.

Unfortunately it will always be the legacy of those early 80s teams that they didn't get to ultimately bite the cherry.

When I think about the playoff format we have now and how history may have been altered by it had we had it back then, those are the first Husker teams I think of.

• Plus1 1