Explosion in Beirut

Some more info:

It would make sense that this was caused by more than just fireworks. You can see fireworks going off near the blast site before the big explosion, so there likely were some there. But dang - that big blast didn't look like pyrotechnics. It looked serious.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Guy I work with said his sister barely made it out, and he has some friends in the hospital. Her car was all messed up. Sounds like a lot of people live down near the port.

I can't believe that grain elevator or whatever it is is still standing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Holy shnikes! That's more than explosive materials for fireworks.

Another article I read said that their were high explosive stored in the area. Obviously the first thing everyone thinks there is Israel did it, but they came out very quickly and said it wasn't them.

Sounds like there's a lot of he-said she-said with why the explosive materials were basically left unattended in the warehouse since 2013.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the ship carrying them in 2013 had mechanical problems, cancelled their shipment and just left everything there. And then disposal of the materials got tied up in jurisdiction and deciding who should be responsible for getting rid of them.

Absolutely terrifying stuff though. You'd have to think that many of us at some point in our lives have been incredibly close to some kind of dangerous material being transported or housed somewhere.