Explosion in Beirut

28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Some crazy footage out there...unbelievable that a bunch of (basically) fertilizer can do that.

I read it registered 3.8 on the Richter scale :o

Have the conspiracy theories started yet?

I saw a tweet that said President Trump claimed it was an "attack," but the tweet said no evidence of that had been discovered/reported from government agencies in that part of the world. That was probably 4-5 hours ago now though.

But I bet the conspiracy theories will start flying now that he has said that.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I saw a tweet that said President Trump claimed it was an "attack," but the tweet said no evidence of that had been discovered/reported from government agencies in that part of the world. That was probably 4-5 hours ago now though.

But I bet the conspiracy theories will start flying now that he has said that.

He said that yesterday and everyone pretty much laughed at him for it.

16 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Have the conspiracy theories started yet?

I'm not sure if it's a conspiracy theory or not but I'm not sure I'm sold on the ammonium nitrate story.  I don't know if that explains the "fireworks" early on before the big explosion.  An ammunition depot might explain that better - the small arms ammunition going up first would be closer to fireworks before it got to the main cache of explosives.

Not that I really care.  Tragic situation.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I wonder if some of that stuff didn't deteriorate over the six years it was stored there, and that maybe reduced the blast? Seems like that blast wasn't 1,350x more powerful than Oklahoma City. 

Could be. Could also be that it only partially detonated as the initial reaction scattered the chemicals. Also, the energy from the blast drops with the distance cubed, so possible it was 1350x more powerful but that doesn't translate to damage. Lots of variables.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Could be. Could also be that it only partially detonated as the initial reaction scattered the chemicals. Also, the energy from the blast drops with the distance cubed, so possible it was 1350x more powerful but that doesn't translate to damage. Lots of variables.

another factor to consider is that the oklahoma city bomb wasn't just ammonia nitrate.....it was mixed with diesel fuel if i recall correctly

2 hours ago, commando said:

another factor to consider is that the oklahoma city bomb wasn't just ammonia nitrate.....it was mixed with diesel fuel if i recall correctly

A mix called "ampho" which, as I understand, is supposed to be more powerful. So maybe this was less explodey because it lacked a catalyst? Spitballing, because I have no idea.

• 1 month later...