When will the B1G pull the plug on our football season?

When will the B1G pull the plug on our football season?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. When will our season officially get cancelled?

• August 22nd or sooner (within 2 weeks)
    • August 23rd to September 5th (just prior to first game)
    • In September after after first game
    • In October or November
    • Cancelled? You crazy....we’re getting the whole enchilada.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/2020 at 08:22 AM

12 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It sucks, nobody disagrees. 

But our country has too many selfish individuals who equated doing the bare minimum, mask wearing and social distancing, to some form of government overreach. 

Our society ignored science. Losing football is one the many consequences. If you want somebody to blame, look in the mirror or at anybody not wearing a mask.

Exactly.

The response in this country has been nothing but an absolute, complete failure from the top on down. :(

To contrast, look at New Zealand which has now gone 100 days without a locally transmitted case as model of how to limit the spread of a contagion like COVID-19.

https://www.livescience.com/new-zealand-100-days-no-covid-19.html

• Plus1 4
35 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Exactly.

The response in this country has been nothing but an absolute, complete failure from the top on down. :(

To contrast, look at New Zealand which has now gone 100 days without a locally transmitted case as model of how to limit the spread of a contagion like COVID-19.

https://www.livescience.com/new-zealand-100-days-no-covid-19.html

Comparing a vast U.S. population and area that has many unique population centers to a small island with a total population half of NY is pretty dumb. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Comparing a vast U.S. population and area that has many unique population centers to a small island with a total population half of NY is pretty dumb. 

Good thing there are a bunch of other examples that prove without a doubt we have failed miserably. 

• Plus1 5
56 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

These Presidents are awfully ignorant if they think having kids on campus and in dorms and going to house parties and bars is gonna make for any different outcome in infections than kids playing football or soccer, or whatever fall sport there is.  

the only difference is that most of the general student population will probably never even know they are infected because of asymptomatic cases or very slight illness that doesn’t get tested. As opposed to athletes who will constantly be tested and those cases would be caught.   

This is just a legal CYA.  The bean counters are probably saying they could will lose more money by being sued if there is a bad outcome vs the revenue lost of canceling or moving to the spring.  

I think most schools don't want the travel and the increased chance of individuals bringing it back on campus. They understand that just bringing students back on campus is a huge risk. Many schools that are still having in person classes, some have students on campus now, have adjusted their schedules to limit breaks. The presidents understand they can't limit people doing stupid stuff off campus but they will try to limit what they can on campus. The other part of this is protecting the faculty and staff. I sat through a zoom meeting with faculty and staff and there is a real fear about in person classes. Many are older with other health concerns. 

55 minutes ago, Undone said:

I have a feeling that when normal cold & flu season ramps up in December/January that this entire country is going to lose its damn mind even more than it has the past few months. My gut feeling is that the perceived danger of COVID won't be any less in the spring as it is now - it could probably be argued it'll be higher.

Undone, I wonder if the cold and flu season will be bad if we all practice social distancing and good hygiene. I mean, if it helps slow the spread of COVID, you would think it would help slow the spread of cold/flu.

• Plus1 6
10 minutes ago, jaws said:

Undone, I wonder if the cold and flu season will be bad if we all practice social distancing and good hygiene. I mean, if it helps slow the spread of COVID, you would think it would help slow the spread of cold/flu.

If everyone indefinitely bunkers down in their houses year round and wears 3M respirators, face shields, and hazmat suits, the spread of pathogens would greatly diminish. There's no argument against that thesis.

So with that said, what's your point?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Good thing there are a bunch of other examples that prove without a doubt we have failed miserably. 

It’s possible we could have done better, it’s also possible that in the long-run, the virus is going to make its way through most population centers no matter the mitigation.  Europe is increasing, parts of Asia increasing, parts of South America increasing.  
There are a few papers in medical journals that are starting to look at the herd immunity levels  for Covid-19 being 20-40% of the population.  Many of the highly hit population centers reached that point and then saw a drastic downturn in case numbers. 
It’s a VERY contagious virus and it’s possible that it’s going to run it’s natural course at some point no matter the mitigation.  

Remember this, regardless of sports being played or not, the whole point of mitigation back in March and April was to spread out the infection numbers across many months.  It was NOT to necessarily completely stop the virus.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

If everyone indefinitely bunkers down in their houses year round and wears 3M respirators, face shields, and hazmat suits, the spread of pathogens would greatly diminish. There's no argument against that thesis.

So with that said, what's your point?

That cold and flu season might not be as bad since we are already practicing social distancing for COVID. :dunno

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s possible we could have done better, it’s also possible that in the long-run, the virus is going to make its way through most population centers no matter the mitigation.  Europe is increasing, parts of Asia increasing, parts of South America increasing.  
There are a few papers in medical journals that are starting to look at the herd immunity levels  for Covid-19 being 20-40% of the population.  Many of the highly hit population centers reached that point and then saw a drastic downturn in case numbers. 
It’s a VERY contagious virus and it’s possible that it’s going to run it’s natural course at some point no matter the mitigation.  

Remember this, regardless of sports being played or not, the whole point of mitigation back in March and April was to spread out the infection numbers across many months.  It was NOT to necessarily completely stop the virus.  

I remind myself of this seemingly everyday.  That's why its so frustrating that the numbers we are seeing now are similar to the numbers we saw in March heading into April (I'm giving increased testing a nod here because our current daily positive cases is practically double what it was then) and there doesn't seem to be the urgency there was 4 months ago...

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It also gives time for develop better treatment options and testing. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And one point for those saying wait till spring when we have a vaccine.  

if the Covid-19 vaccine is anything like the flu vaccine then we all need to remember that the flu vaccine doesn’t completely stop the flu.  It’s real point is to make flu related illness much less severe, decrease hospitalizations, and decrease spread. Millions still get the flu and tens of thousands still die each year.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, jaws said:

That cold and flu season might not be as bad since we are already practicing social distancing for COVID. :dunno

Assuming the U.S. is practicing social distancing in four months that is relatively stricter than what we see now, then I'd agree.

I think I made that original comment just prior to the official word coming out from the B1G office about canceling the season and the context of what I quoted was a suggestion to play a spring season instead of a fall season, for what it's worth.