B1G Officially Cancels 2020 Season, What’s Next For NU?

We are all about to find out how Nebraska truly feels about it's Big Ten membership.

Yesterday was nothing short of a unified front by the university leadership in shooting a shot across the Big Ten's bow with the threat that if the conference didn't play football this fall Nebraska could look elsewhere and at all options.

If Nebraska ever had any reservations about it's 10 years in the Big Ten, and wanted to pursue going back to their historical roots of the Big 8/Big12...NOW could be the time to do it.

Don't discount what Bill Moos has said in the past on his feelings about scheduling old Big 12 opponents. The facts are traveling to away games in Big 12 locations is just easier for Nebraska fans. Those road trips are more cost effective as well. Also, the current Big 10 conference is not the same confernce Nebraska signed up for in 2010. Nebraska didn't sign up for Rutgers & Maryland.

The current landscape just has that feeling that big changes are coming.

The NCAA's influence as a whole is on thin ice. The rumors of a Power 5 break away have only gotten louder in recent years.

The techtonic fault lines of college football could...could be shifting again. If Nebraska really wanted to return home, now might be the best time to look at those options.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

We are all about to find out how Nebraska truly feels about it's Big Ten membership.

Yesterday was nothing short of a unified front by the university leadership in shooting a shot across the Big Ten's bow with the threat that if the conference didn't play football this fall Nebraska could look elsewhere and at all options.

If Nebraska ever had any reservations about it's 10 years in the Big Ten, and wanted to pursue going back to their historical roots of the Big 8/Big12...NOW could be the time to do it.

Don't discount what Bill Moos has said in the past on his feelings about scheduling old Big 12 opponents. The facts are traveling to away games in Big 12 locations is just easier for Nebraska fans. Those road trips are more cost effective as well. Also, the current Big 10 conference is not the same confernce Nebraska signed up for in 2010. Nebraska didn't sign up for Rutgers & Maryland.

The current landscape just has that feeling that big changes are coming.

The NCAA's influence as a whole is on thin ice. The rumors of a Power 5 break away have only gotten louder in recent years.

The techtonic fault lines of college football could...could be shifting again. If Nebraska really wanted to return home, now might be the best time to look at those options.

I agree that it just feels like changes are coming.  I also agree that there is absolutely 0 appeal in playing Rutgers and Maryland in any sport, and as a whole I've just had a hard time getting excited about any B1G games, which may partially be because we've been awful for years.  The Big 12 isn't really the same anymore either though.  Mizzou and Colorado were some of the fun Big 12 rivalries and they're gone.  Playing West Virginia doesn't excite me anymore than playing Maryland.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Kevin Warren has been a horrible replacement for Jim Delaney thus far, and the BIG now is in a situation where it must cancel all dorm living as well as that would involve too much close contact.  I assume all classes will have to be done online as well with no in person interaction.  

Eh, I don't think Delaney ever had to deal with a s#!tshow of quite this magnitude.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The Big XII is not "home." It was a shotgun wedding of a conference that included our old Big 8 brethren.

Missouri is gone, and not coming back. Colorado is gone, and not coming back.  Even if Nebraska went back to the cesspool of the Big XII, those rivalries are forever gone.

We left that conference because our old Big 8 brethren stabbed us in the back. Then they twisted the knife. They deserve nothing from us, and I hope we never play a game in Manhattan or Ames ever again. They don't deserve our money or our time.

We make BANK in the Big Ten. We have access to educational fronts that the Big XII can't even dream of. There is no good reason to ever go back there. 

I completely agree that the Big 12 was a shotgun wedding of a conference, and yes our other Big 8 brethern stabbed us in the back on multiple important items including partial qualifiers.

You are also correct in that Nebraska can't look at that annual $51 millon dollar check from the Big Ten and just go "oh well."

All I was saying is that if there were/are reservations, anamosity, or regrets from Nebraska's leadership about our time in the Big 10... if they did want to make a move, now would probably be the opening.

I'm torn because I personally truly miss playing the Big 8 teams (even if Colorado and Missouri are gone) However, you can't deny how valuable that Big 10 money is.

I do think there are some good reasons to back, but there are also some very good reasons to call the past the past, and stay in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Farms said:

I agree that it just feels like changes are coming.  I also agree that there is absolutely 0 appeal in playing Rutgers and Maryland in any sport, and as a whole I've just had a hard time getting excited about any B1G games, which may partially be because we've been awful for years.  The Big 12 isn't really the same anymore either though.  Mizzou and Colorado were some of the fun Big 12 rivalries and they're gone.  Playing West Virginia doesn't excite me anymore than playing Maryland.

Agreed on all fronts. 

Maybe we'll get a Super Conference out of all this and we'll start playing more (former) SEC, PAC-12, ACC & Big XII teams.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Interesting that this is coming on the heels of reports that the ACC is starting to lean more towards playing a season, a change of pace from where they were a few days ago.

ACC and SEC can say whatever they want to. Lets see them play a game before I believe anything. Both conferences have teams that are in a region far worse off than anyone in the BIG. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The Big XII is not "home." It was a shotgun wedding of a conference that included our old Big 8 brethren.

Missouri is gone, and not coming back. Colorado is gone, and not coming back.  Even if Nebraska went back to the cesspool of the Big XII, those rivalries are forever gone.

We left that conference because our old Big 8 brethren stabbed us in the back. Then they twisted the knife. They deserve nothing from us, and I hope we never play a game in Manhattan or Ames ever again. They don't deserve our money or our time.

We make BANK in the Big Ten. We have access to educational fronts that the Big XII can't even dream of. There is no good reason to ever go back there. 

People keep thinking the only reason for conferences is for sports.  I guess that is reasonable since in the old Big 8, and particularly in the Big XII, there wasn't as much intra-conference interaction among the schools as compared to the Big Ten.

As important as college football is to the "brand" of many major universities, shouldn't educational considerations be considered more important?

When I was an undergraduate at UNL, we did take a trip to KU for some cooperative research.  But that had more to do with the prof I had at UNL being a collaborator with the profs at KU, from before both profs came to the Big 8.  I did graduate work at OU, and even before the Big XII formed, OU did a lot more academic cross over work with Texas than they did with the other Big 8 schools.  From talking to my old profs at Nebraska in the late 90s, they didn't indicate any particular benefit academically from being in the same conference as Texas (which has fairly high academic rankings).

I wonder how much most people's nostalgia for the Big 8 has to do with the fact that NU was good and typically 4 of the teams in any given year were usually pretty bad (almost always automatic Ws KSU, KU, ISU), 2 were ok/good (some mix of Mizz, CU, OSU lifting up from the bad category) and 1 was great (OU).  Had NU had a chance to move to the Big Ten in 1960, just coming off a terrible 20 years, would people 10 years later have felt the same nostalgia for the Big 8? 

Did I like the Big 8 days because of the "rivalries" with the other teams?  Or did I like the Big 8 days because Nebraska was dominant?  For me its pretty much the latter.  I don't care who Nebraska plays.  I just want them to improve and play for conference championships regularly.  If 5 years from now, Frost has led Nebraska to a couple conference titles, I think a fair amount of that nostalgia will go away.

• Plus1 5

If we go rogue, there's a very strong chance we will have opted out of the Big Ten.  Which is fine if we have something else in mind, but we cannot survive as an Independent.  As it is, we will walk away from $50 million from the tv contract (granted not this year).  Let's face it, our football team has been largely just a stain on the Big Ten for the past decade.  The other teams likely have never circled us on their schedule as a tough game they needed to win.  They look past us every year.  The last bowl we won was 5 years ago and we didn't even qualify on the field!  

This is the wrong approach.  We need to get back to our greatness, THEN make a bold move.  Not the other way around.  This?  This is lunacy.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Frustrated said:

If we go rogue, there's a very strong chance we will have opted out of the Big Ten.  Which is fine if we have something else in mind, but we cannot survive as an Independent.  As it is, we will walk away from $50 million from the tv contract (granted not this year).  Let's face it, our football team has been largely just a stain on the Big Ten for the past decade.  The other teams likely have never circled us on their schedule as a tough game they needed to win.  They look past us every year.  The last bowl we won was 5 years ago and we didn't even qualify on the field!  

This is the wrong approach.  We need to get back to our greatness, THEN make a bold move.  Not the other way around.  This?  This is lunacy.

first we have get Eddie van halen on guitar