B1G Officially Cancels 2020 Season, What’s Next For NU?

40 minutes ago, jaws said:

So the ACC, Big12, and SEC are going to try and play football? I understand the CFP is not a NCAA sponsored event, but if multiple teams from the ACC, Big12 and SEC start testing positive and they have to sit out games, it is going to look really bad. 

If they don't, it's going to look really bad for the B1G and the Pac 12 especially in the eyes of the recruits.  It will probably also look bad when the next rounds of television contracts come out.  If the remaining three conferences pull off a season, do you for one second believe the NCAA won't fall all over themselves to have championships?  "At this point" maybe not.  In a couple of months, it will be a different point.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Interesting how it’s deemed safe for Iowa State to play but not Iowa

different conferences

Cajuns are cute- Last night they were all over their boards about emailing their AD and trying to schedule us on 11/21.  I'm not sure we want any part of them, even if it could have been scheduled.  They're not the same team we pummeled 55-0 over a decade ago.  Of course neither are we.  Love to see them in our weather, even though there wouldn't have been any fans if it happened. Didn't want to bust someones fantasy which included the Huskers.  

Buts it's all going to be canceled soon.   Ncaa canceling post season stuff.  Florida State players complaining about lack or undisclosed protocols and lack of transperancy.  Just my hunch.  We might have been lucky to be one of the first to get out as we can spin it anyway we want. 

8 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

If they don't, it's going to look really bad for the B1G and the Pac 12 especially in the eyes of the recruits.  It will probably also look bad when the next rounds of television contracts come out.  If the remaining three conferences pull off a season, do you for one second believe the NCAA won't fall all over themselves to have championships?  "At this point" maybe not.  In a couple of months, it will be a different point.

The NCAA doesn't sponsor a FBS playoff, so they really don't count when it comes to whatever the conferences and the CFP decides. Clemson and other schools are saying how they want to play in the fall. I bet they change their tune if their starting QB or any of their best players have to sit out because of COVID. Look at the MLB, they are having to postpone games due to outbreaks on teams. If a professional league is having problems, why do we think that we will get through a season of college football without problems?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, jaws said:

The NCAA doesn't sponsor a FBS playoff, so they really don't count when it comes to whatever the conferences and the CFP decides. Clemson and other schools are saying how they want to play in the fall. I bet they change their tune if their starting QB or any of their best players have to sit out because of COVID. Look at the MLB, they are having to postpone games due to outbreaks on teams. If a professional league is having problems, why do we think that we will get through a season of college football without problems?

I don't know that they will.  I'm just stating that it will look really, really bad for the B1G and the Pac 12 if they do.  Sometimes it's best if you're not first.  IMO, the B1G should have drug their feet until the SEC made a decision.  This is the conference we're really chasing.  Even if the remaining three only get part of a season in, I would think that would look a lot better to recruits than simply canning the season.  One thing about it, we have no idea what comes next.  This is hero or zero time.  Things could really blow up on the remaining three, or they could come out of it smelling like a rose.  It's just way too early to tell.  I read an article where your old coach just said there's no way there will be a spring season. 

1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

I don't know that they will.  I'm just stating that it will look really, really bad for the B1G and the Pac 12 if they do.  Sometimes it's best if you're not first.  IMO, the B1G should have drug their feet until the SEC made a decision.  This is the conference we're really chasing.  Even if the remaining three only get part of a season in, I would think that would look a lot better to recruits than simply canning the season.  One thing about it, we have no idea what comes next.  This is hero or zero time.  Things could really blow up on the remaining three, or they could come out of it smelling like a rose.  It's just way too early to tell.  I read an article where your old coach just said there's no way there will be a spring season. 

The BIG is a wealthier conference that splits more revenue then the SEC

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

Urban has been saying that for a while.

If we have spring ball, especially if all the conferences move to spring ball, then I don't think we will see a typical fall 2021 schedule. It will probably have less games and a later start date. It will also be interesting to see when spring football would actually start. The earlier the better. 

22 minutes ago, jaws said:

Urban has been saying that for a while.

If we have spring ball, especially if all the conferences move to spring ball, then I don't think we will see a typical fall 2021 schedule. It will probably have less games and a later start date. It will also be interesting to see when spring football would actually start. The earlier the better. 

If that's the case, less 2021 games, put me in the camp of just waiting.  I'd rather have a normal full season when it comes back than two chopped up, partial seasons.

• Plus1 1

What's next you ask?  Well, now it is time to watch the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 play college sports this fall.  And then watch them crown a conference champion in all of their fall sports.  Then watch them find a way to still play a playoff with multiple SEC teams.  Then watch Alabama win another National Title.  Then we will get to go through this all again early next year with Kevin Warren coming out of his basement to tell us that the Spring Season is also cancelled, but we will still play in the fall!  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3

I just don't see football happening at the college level. College football teams aren't in a bubble - they're part of campus and local and state communities - and every campus has a protocol in place that will cause a shutdown if certain triggering events occur. 

UTexas will go remote if any single one of their ~50k students dies of COVID.  Alabama supposedly looks at conditions in the local community, and statewide ICU capacity has been sitting at or below 15% for the past week in AL. 

No way Texas lets the Big 12 play without them or Alabama the SEC. Teams will start toppling along with their states/campuses and the season will collapse.

I am not sure where to put this, but I knew which topic I wanted to avoid. Not sure it’s worth’s it’s own topic....Probably nothing.

“Venk Murphy, Professor at UM Med school/ Rubenfire professor of preventative Cardiology strongly suspects the paper will be retracted due to falsified data after seeing the statistics cited in it are nearly impossible to exist.  Link below.” https://twitter.com/venkmurthy/status/1294406748678365191

• Plus1 1

Big ten getting roasted by coaches, parents, players, and now cardiologists are saying that the big ten used a flawed study to make a decision to shut down the year. Only concludes that it isn’t about safety..it’s liability 

it seems insane to me that if the players want to play & they get sick that they COULD sue the university. Even with a signed waiver consent form. That should be your own problem if you get sick. 

also, let’s be real. By the time football would start up there’s a chance that college is already back to fully online as cases are sure to ramp up with students being back. The general college populace does not follow coronavirus rules & social distancing. My source: my very own Snapchat friends list as a 23 year old graduate. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, nic said:

I am not sure where to put this, but I knew which which topic I wanted to avoid. Not sure it’s worth’s it’s own topic....Probably nothing.

“Venk Murphy, Professor at UM Med school/ Rubenfire professor of preventative Cardiology strongly suspects the paper will be retracted due to falsified data after seeing the statistics cited in it are nearly impossible to exist.  Link below.” https://twitter.com/venkmurthy/status/1294406748678365191

This guy knows his stuff, seems very credible along with his peers. They are cackling at the obscene rookie mistakes made in this supposed study. 

Either the study is a complete fraud with bad intentions or complete incompetence. Either way the big10 comes off poorly here. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

This guy knows his stuff, seems very credible along with his peers. 

Either the study is a complete fraud with bad intentions or complete incompetence. Either way the big10 comes off poorly here. 

Everyone who voted yes should be s#!t canned or suspended & the medical professionals they hired to back this paper also gone. 

• Plus1 3