B1G Officially Cancels 2020 Season, What’s Next For NU?

In several interviews with national media outlets after he wrote the letter explaining the Big Ten’s decision — The World-Herald has requested a chat with Warren five times — Warren said he would have improved internal communication between parties.

“What I would have done differently is I would have brought all the parties together,” Warren told Yahoo Sports.

Why wouldn’t Warren have done such a basic thing in the first place?

:facepalm:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/mckewon-kevin-warren-is-still-learning-but-a-better-approach-may-have-helped-big-ten/article_8e77a49f-c012-5693-8e18-7b5c1bd1f1ac.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_OWHbigred

56 minutes ago, Decked said:

This is a guy that makes life extraordinarily hard for everyone for little to no reason 

True

but the article clearly states warren isn’t qualified for the job, because unlike other league commissioners, he has no experience in college athletics. Warren does not understand how these organizations work. All of his experience is in the nfl.

So he is learning on the job at more than $2,000,000 per year. Terrible hire , but it won’t matter a hill of beans to some who will insist on carrying his water no matter how inept the guy is. 

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Bledred said:

Not going to happen.  Too much at stake.  The Spanish Flu killed half a million people in this nation and we still played college football.  Unless more than half an entire conference gets this all at once, they will not be stopping.  

Too much at stake is right, which is why some program/conferences are trying to force a season and why it's all going to collapse. 

Do you think Alabama, Georgia, or LSU will let the rest of the SEC play without them? Even if they do, at what point does ESPN point out that a Mizzou-Arkansas SEC championship is not exactly what all that SEC Network money was supposed to produce? 

We might be so thirsty for any college sports to think we're content with Nebraska v. North Dakota Eastern Tech but it doesn't mean it makes financial sense for the networks or the even the teams to actually play those games.

• Plus1 1

I listened to Mitch Sherman on Nick Bahe's podcast from this week, and Mitch had gotten to know the UNMC doctor who was the lead doctor on the Big Ten task force for COVID-19.  Mitch reached out the the doctor to get his thoughts on why the Big Ten canceled the fall season, and the doctor said he can't say anything.  The Big Ten is muzzling the lead doctor from speaking to any media outlets.

Sherman had another good point about Warren and the Big Ten university presidents.  The Big Ten's history of actions and communication has usually been to keep things tight lipped, and not transparent to the public and media.  Throw in Warren's history in the NFL, which has a very similar media policy, and it's not a surprise that there is a lack of transparency in this issue.

• Plus1 2

31 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I listened to Mitch Sherman on Nick Bahe's podcast from this week, and Mitch had gotten to know the UNMC doctor who was the lead doctor on the Big Ten task force for COVID-19.  Mitch reached out the the doctor to get his thoughts on why the Big Ten canceled the fall season, and the doctor said he can't say anything.  The Big Ten is muzzling the lead doctor from speaking to any media outlets.

Sherman had another good point about Warren and the Big Ten university presidents.  The Big Ten's history of actions and communication has usually been to keep things tight lipped, and not transparent to the public and media.  Throw in Warren's history in the NFL, which has a very similar media policy, and it's not a surprise that there is a lack of transparency in this issue.

Good grief the more they do this sort of thing the worse it's going to get publicity wise. 

• Plus1 6

I have no idea who Andy Wittry is, so if he's a suspect source please let me know and we'll go from there.

Mr. Wittry has obtained several emails from Nebraska's side of the football/no football discussion in the Big Ten.

I think everyone understands that, for maybe the first time in a long time, UNL is united in its mission all the way from the President to the water boy. 

This serves to underscore what we already knew. They were trying. 

'Greetings from Nebraska': A look at Nebraska's final push to the Big Ten for fall sports

Greetings from Nebraska.

That was the subject line of an email obtained by Out of Bounds that University of Nebraska System President Ted Carter sent to Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren from his Samsung smartphone just before 8 a.m. local time on Monday, Aug. 10, the day before the Big Ten postponed all fall sports.

awInMtB.png

Of note, an Omaha businessman, Bruce Grewcock (again, no idea who this is), corresponded with Carter, saying in part:

President Carter, I really hope that Fall sports happens. The Athletic Department will take better care of the students than if they are left without the structure and discipline that athletics provides. For football, Scott [Frost] and his staff have the best interests of the players in mind and the rest of the Fall sports coaches do as well. It’s about the student athletes not the fans. I hope the decision makers take that into account, if it’s cancelled it feels a little ‘political’ to me. Regards.

We've seen this speculation right here on HuskerBoard, and it's a relatively easy idea to jump to. And the longer the Big Ten central office remains opaque about their process, in defiance of the wishes of at least a few universities and a LOT of coaches, players, and their parents, the more speculation like this will run rampant. 

This figures to be an ongoing story. I guess this is what we're going to do this Fall instead of watching Husker Football - dig through the post-mortem of the decision. 

Yay.  <_<

• Plus1 3

Here's how it looks, at present:

- A pre-set eight-game schedule will begin the week after New Year's Day, likely kicking off on Wednesday, Jan. 7 or Thursday, Jan. 8, and progressing through the weekend.

- The goal will be to not have games overlapping with each other, opening up multiple game slots to various broadcast partners.

- Every team would have one bye weekend.

- No games would be held on campuses, instead moving the entirety of the schedule to neutral sites, which are still to be determined.

- A conference championship game between the top finishers in the East and West divisions would take place the second weekend in March at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.

Additionally, sources indicate that there is also a possibility, with the occurrence of a similar "spring" season for the Pac-12, that the two conferences could pit their champions against each other for a traditional Rose Bowl.

Rivals

• Plus1 1