2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If NU is able to play some games this fall, it will either look very smart (with no or few COVID cases) or look very dumb (with a COVID outbreak and mass illnesses).

I'm thinking win either way. The mass outbreak would create mass antibody response and we'd be ready to play when other schools are all getting their turn. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Moos and Frost wouldn’t be making their statements if they weren’t confident that they could legally play games outside the Big Ten conference this season. There must be certain “temporary outs” in the contract which allows teams to take these actions given the current situation. 

Yeah, I wonder this.  What if they just played 4 games like a normal non-conference season in other leagues?  Had three weeks between games as a Covid-19 buffer.  I think the talk of Spring Football is a poison pill inserted to stop teams from looking around for opponents this Fall.  I don't believe there is any serious intention to playing in the Spring.  It's just kicking the can until that's canceled and then they start play in Fall of '21.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I don't believe there is any serious intention to playing in the Spring.  It's just kicking the can until that's canceled and then they start play in Fall of '21.

Delay Camp...Conference Only...Conference Only Schedules released...Delay Contact...Power 5 Presidents meet...doom & gloom for all of CF...Big 10 & PAC 10 cancel season...everybody else says we're going forward...Pushback...Big10 will consider a spring season.  We've been watching this movie a while, ending is painfully obvious.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yeah, I wonder this.  What if they just played 4 games like a normal non-conference season in other leagues?  Had three weeks between games as a Covid-19 buffer.  I think the talk of Spring Football is a poison pill inserted to stop teams from looking around for opponents this Fall.  I don't believe there is any serious intention to playing in the Spring.  It's just kicking the can until that's canceled and then they start play in Fall of '21.

Of course the talk of a spring season is the poison pill that Warren can use to prevent conference teams from pursuing playing games outside the Big Ten. It’s forcing the schools to stay aligned with the conference, until the conference shuts down football in the spring.

NU seems like the only school willing to push back against conference leadership.  But, NU needs football more than the other schools in the conference. NU is the only school where football drives so much of the economy for the school, city, and state. The other Big Ten schools can get by without football. NU can’t. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I don't see Nebraska doing anything less than a 10 game season, and without the conference, that'll be almost impossible.

The main reason they wouldn't is player eligibility. There's no way they play just a few games and waste a year of eligibility for everyone.

If they play four games, as many teams did during the pandemic of 1918, they could preserve eligibility for a lot of guys.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I think the only way Nebraska could even remotely entertain the possibility of going rogue this fall is it needs Ohio State to play the role of the icebreaker and to go first.  Nebraska just doesn't have the level of juice with the Big Ten to posture and threaten.  Ohio State on the other hand...

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think the only way Nebraska could even remotely entertain the possibility of going rogue this fall is it needs Ohio State to play the role of the icebreaker and to go first.  Nebraska just doesn't have the level of juice with the Big Ten to posture and threaten.  Ohio State on the other hand...

its not happening. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/08/115702/ohio-state-will-not-play-fall-schedule-outside-of-big-ten-intends-to-prepare-for-spring-schedule-per-reports

This is not a drill.  This is not a joke.

The Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren just drew the line in the sand:  https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-football-2020-Big-Ten-Kevin-Warren-150177515/

If we play non-conference games this fall for football which is what Frost and Bill have been hinting at for some time now, we will be kicked out of the Big Ten.

Here is how this is going to play out should we move forward with playing football games this fall (which to be honest, looks VERY likely):

1. We are going to schedule and play some non-conference football games this fall.
  2. The Big Ten is going to excommunicado us out of the conference.
  3. Nebraska will then sue the Big Ten for lost revenue due from our contract.  Our contract does NOT give the Big Ten any authority to remove us from the conference for playing out-of-conference games.
  4. We will easily win this legal battle and will be given our full share for the remainder of the TV contract until 2023.
  5. We will then also sue for punitive damages and losses.
  6. We might win this case, and be awarded additional years of full or partial shares from the Big Ten after 2023 or additional money from now until 2023.
  7. Nebraska will declare itself as an Independent.
  8. Nebraska will sign an exclusive deal with Pay-per-view and will continually smash records as fans from all over the nation tune in.
  9. Nebraska will sign an exclusive deal with Fox Sports to televise our games that are not picked-up by Pay-per-view. 
  10. When the next massive conference realignment comes along, we will evaluate our options.  But to be honest, being your own boss is kinda awesome. 

For the nay-sayers please consider these points:

• Nebraska has NO pro sports.  Many other states in the B1G DO have pro sports.  Not having any athletics for a fall season will be devastating to Nebraska's local economy.  Those in charge at NU are fully aware of this...especially the local donors who pay for everything.  Other states may cruise through this just fine, but we will not be fine.  This decision today literally cost the state of Nebraska millions upon millions of dollars in lost local business revenue.  Many businesses who are on their last leg right now will now not survive because of this decision. 
  • What do you think Plan B was if the Big Ten rejected our application (which by the way they made us literally crawl through their doggy door and beg) when we applied?  We certainly were not going to crawl back to the Big 12!  Going Independent has been on the table for longer than you think.  FREEDOM is priceless.
  • Crawling back to the Big 12 as many (Big 12 fans) have pointed out on Twatter is NEVER going to happen.  We may play some of their teams this fall or in the near future, but trust me, the people in charge at Nebraska would rather eat their own excrement than crawl back to the Texas Conference. 
  • Ever since we joined the Big Ten, we have been given the hardest schedules.  We have not even been recognized in the name of the conference.  We have had to pay more than Maryland and Rutgers did when they joined.  Time and time again, we get the shaft, while other teams that have been in the conference (THE TEN) longer than us get the red carpet treatment.  We went through this same BS in the Big 12, that is why we left.  Do you honestly think things are now going to improve now that we 'stepped out of line' and challenged the conference regarding this shutdown decision?
  • We are not fans of corruption...When asked regarding pulling his son out of the SEC football season, the Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren did not respond.  

I apologize for the book, but there is a lot to unpack here.  I fully believe we will be playing games this fall and that we are wanting to be kicked out of the Big Ten, so we can gain our freedom AND get paid.  You can bet your 401K Bill and the NU top brass are talking to their army of lawyers right about now.  In going Independent, we have the fan support to pull it off.  We have the connections to get games scheduled easily (who would NOT want the largest traveling college fan base to come and spend money at their stadium/city??).  We are sick and tired of being treated as second-class by the conference we belong to.  Everything is not always about money and freedom is priceless.  Nebraska going Independent in my humble opinion is not a matter of if, but when.  And the 'when' is now.  

Big 12 = Big 10 < Independence (+Still Getting Paid)

download.gif

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

Neb didn’t vote to not play. It wasn’t unanimous so Ohio St and Mich and Penn State and some others who voted to play can and prob will file a lawsuit against the Big Ten.  

Nebraska was the only one that voted to play. It was 13-1

15 hours ago, knapplc said:

When the other conferences cancel their seasons, are you going to say the same about them?

They won't.  The Big 12 would rather burn their conference to the ground, than miss an opportunity such as this...to play a season while Nebraska sits and watches. 

1 minute ago, Bledred said:

They won't.  The Big 12 would rather burn their conference to the ground, than miss an opportunity such as this...to play a season while Nebraska sits and watches. 

Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the remaining three P5 conferences starts a season. But much like MLB, they're going to have significant numbers of athletes contract Covid, and they're going to shut down before they play a full slate of games.

Maybe it's enough for them to say, "We tried."  Not sure if that'll help them or hurt them in the future. 

But what I think is most likely to happen is the Big XII, ACC & SEC take a hard look at the hotspot map and decide they're the last place that should actually play. 

IdIlOQc.png

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Seems like our lawyers either disagree with the interpretation, are stringing Frost/Moos along, or Frost was just bluffing to try and save the Big Ten season. Also how does non-conference work under that interpretation? We play 3 games a year outside of the conference, so if the Big Ten cancels this season can we keep those 3? Or are the non-conference games individually approved and the Big Ten would deny them?

All valid points.  The big ten does not have any legal leverage in regards to non-conference games.  We do not get permission from the Big Ten conference to play non-conference opponents for they all are contractual obligations between the school (NU) and the opponent only.  If they move to kick us out of the conference because we schedule and play non-conference games, then they are liable to be sued BIG TIME.  I believe the words of Kevin Warren are a total bluff and Frost and Moos are calling it.  They have no legal grounds to kick us out of the conference and everybody knows it.  They may still move to kick-us out, but it will cost them their arm, leg and both kidneys.