2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

OK. I'm wrong. Thanks for educating me.

Well I wouldn't say you are 'wrong'. My understanding is FERPA does include 'treatment records' as well, so you are not 'technically wrong'. FERPA may be the applicable standard at some universities so it depends on how they are set up. More applicable would have been better a term then 'right' in the vast majority of cases. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I can pull up the court cases where FERPA was cited as the key factor in the release of SA records if you like. 

Honestly, I really don't care. Just write HIPAA instead of HIPPA in the future and we'll call it good.

Deal- you are incredibly easy to please 

• Plus1 1
Just now, bugeater17 said:

Well I wouldn't say you are 'wrong'. My understanding is FERPA does include 'treatment records' as well, so you are not 'technically wrong'. FERPA may be the applicable standard at some universities so it depends on how they are set up. More applicable would have been better a term then 'right' in the vast majority of cases. 

I'm more concerned with spelling HIPAA correctly than whether HIPAA or FERPA most readily applies to the conversation. 

2 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

there's overlap. If you read Ferpa, it mentions HIPAA more than several times. Treatment records are more for things like counseling or other services so that the typical student can participate in receiving an education.  Would treatment of an STD for any student be included in the educational file?  

Athletics is mostly in the form of directories.  Like a record that the student participated.  

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

You mean the players doing what they have been doing for the past 30 days? 

Yup - but now add classes, other students on campus, game day slapping hands i the tunnel, shaking hands at midfield with several players from other states that we have no idea about their quarantine - 

This isn't hard to understand guys. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Reading some message boards from the ACC and SEC.  It sounds like both conferences have reached out to Nebraska and a couple other B1G teams about possibly playing this year.  

I think if 2 or 3 other teams would break with Nebraska for this fall, it would be hard to threaten all 4 with membership than just a single entity.  

the grant of rights/money legal issue is probably murky no matter how many teams split though. 

• Plus1 1

I think its foolish to even consider playing outside of conference. The repercussions are just to considerable. Let one of the originals split first then maybe consider it but don't be the first (and possibly only) to jump ship. If tOSU or Michigan jumps, join them. If they stay put, also stay put. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

If Nebraska somehow pulls off going rouge it could make Nebraska a lot more competitive:

-Eligibility and recruiting is messed up for every other school

-Nebraska athletic department is the only one that doesn't take a massive hit

-Players grow and develop a lot faster playing games

-Scott Frost looks like he'll go the extra mile to do what he feels is right

On the downside we might get kicked out of the B10 or at the very least our relationship is damaged. Also, it would be a bad look if half our team got Covid, even if it happened to a teams like Rutgers not playing at all- Neb would be the one talked about and shamed.

Unless the team came out the other side with no major health issues (which is quite likely based on the even inflated numbers). 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I do some part time teaching at a community college.  On occasion, I have had confidential reports that do include student medical information, if it is somehow relevant to the education experience.  

This site has a fair amount of information on what HIPAA means to college environments vice FERPA:

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=847c698c-493c-4939-b2f4-0ed15f79f69e

However, HIPAA’s privacy rule contains an important exception—it does not apply to health records maintained by an educational institution if those health records meet the definition of “education records” or “treatment records” under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Because student health records generally do fall within these FERPA definitions, they are exempted from the reach of HIPAA’s privacy rule.

• Plus1 1