2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

How bad is the B10 going to look if the B12/SEC/ACC make it through with little to no issues?.

And if that happens then it will be safe enough to play in the spring. The amount of weaseling our conference overlords will do to cancel the spring season will be top notch! No way they try to play two seasons in 2021

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's weird because Desmond is so well known for his logical, reasoned takes on...... BWAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Sorry, I tried, but I just couldn't get that out without laughing. 

Well and also like, why is NU off base for just trying to play football?

• Plus1 3
Just now, LaFlamaBlanca said:

How bad is the B10 going to look if the B12/SEC/ACC make it through with little to no issues?.

And if that happens then it will be safe enough to play in the spring. The amount of weaseling our conference overlords will do to cancel the spring season will be top notch! No way they try to play two seasons in 2021

Conversely, how good will the B10 look if those conference end up cancelling anyway or have tons of cases?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

And that's why only a very few number of people take 'click bait' Desmond Howard seriously. 

Stupid is as stupid does. 

Yea, let those Big Ten reps go on slandering NU.   Just makes those damages bigger if NU sues the conference for monetary damages.  NU has said nothing untoward or injurious about the Big Ten that I have seen published so far.   

I believe NU has a strategy (legally and otherwise) in this matter.  I doubt seriously the NU execs have undertaken this path lightly.  

BTN needs to be very careful what they say about a member in good standing that has done not one thing wrong thus far.  If they have secretly wanted to expell NU from its ranks, I have not seen any prior evidence but who knows what has transpired behind closed doors.  

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU seems like the only school willing to push back against conference leadership.

I suspect that it's more like Nebraska is the only school that made such a statement publicly. And from what I can tell, it's not 'conference leadership' in the sense of ADs & commissioner that's to blame here - they were ready to go with the 10-game schedule released a week ago. It sounds like it was the university presidents who took the axe to the season. Certainly, there were other coaches who wanted to play, and made public statements about it. Nebraska just went a step further in suggesting they might seek games elsewhere.

4 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I don't see Nebraska doing anything less than a 10 game season, and without the conference, that'll be almost impossible.

The main reason they wouldn't is player eligibility. There's no way they play just a few games and waste a year of eligibility for everyone.

Hypothetically speaking, I wonder if a two-game nonconference schedule in late fall might be possible, followed by a ten-game conference season spring? A lot of schools moved up their academic calendars to finish before Thanksgiving, so things should be pretty clear on campus in December - possibly safer then than in spring. Doubt it'll happen, but seems feasible.

45 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Ok- so here we go.  The NCAA regulates scrimmages, right?  We are technically outside of a season, what kind of practices can we have?

Technically, we're in fall camp season, as we normally would be at this time of year. Which reminds me, can we keep practicing, even though we don't have any games coming up? The NCAA hasn't said no (hence why other conferences are still going), did the conference actually say no practicing?

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Conversely, how good will the B10 look if those conference end up cancelling anyway or have tons of cases?

Way more style points to the other conferences IMO. At least they would have given it a shot.

Personally I would rather pull the plug a little late. 

Were at risk of pulling the plug early so that we can watch all of our friends get to take warm baths all year, why we are stuck taking Dwyer showers

Parks And Rec Andy Dwyer GIF - ParksAndRec AndyDwyer DwyerShower - Discover  & Share GIFs

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, LaFlamaBlanca said:

Way more style points to the other conferences IMO. At least they would have given it a shot.

Personally I would rather pull the plug a little late. 

Were at risk of pulling the plug early so that we can watch all of our friends get to take warm baths all year, why we are stuck taking Dwyer showers

Parks And Rec Andy Dwyer GIF - ParksAndRec AndyDwyer DwyerShower - Discover  & Share GIFs

I disagree. It's easy to say those other conferences will look better right now. Let's check back in a few weeks.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

And do we really have to call them games? Lets just invite some other unaffilated teams over for dinner and see what happens after.  Sell some pay per view.  Give part of the that money to the football supported industries in Lincoln. 

We weren't going to a bowl game or playoff game anyway.  Real talk. 

Maybe it can be classified as a protest :)

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

baseball's already felt the roster jam from letting guys have another year

And it has hoses many of the 2021 HS seniors

• Plus1 1
Just now, C-4 said:

Oh it will change if OSU wants to play this fall. Lickety-split.

No it won't because the OSU president doesn't want to play. They knew the outrage was coming and they did it anyway. The time to flip flop would have been after the first vote was leaked. Ryan Day and Jim Harbaugh and whoever else can say whatever they want to. It's not going to change anything. Jmo though, we will see.