2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Days comments seem at odds. Which was said first that they would be looking at other options or that they'll move on? 

I haven't listened to his interview, but my understanding is he first talked about spring, moving one, feasibility and then towards the end of the interview left the door open to trying to play. He even walked back his AD's comments:

I know yesterday you guys kind of grabbed [Smith] walking out of the facility and maybe a bad time, but no, this thing’s moving, it’s changing, and we are looking at everything. I can promise you that.”

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I haven't listened to his interview, but my understanding is he first talked about spring, moving one, feasibility and then towards the end of the interview left the door open to trying to play. He even walked back his AD's comments:

Interesting. I bet we know more in a week.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Ohio State and Michigan will be the drivers.  If they do something Nebraska and Iowa will come along.  It’ll be a strength in numbers deal.

There are teams I bet won’t play no matter what (Minny, Illinois, Rutgers).

I think the the Huskers will play a few games this year.

• Plus1 1

Dan Wolken is a moron, but...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2020/08/12/nebraska-bailing-on-big-10-may-be-more-than-bluster/3357321001/

The university-wide tantrum at Nebraska following the Big Ten’s announcement to shutdown fall sports isn’t merely performative red meat being thrown to the base. As of Wednesday, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, the Cornhuskers were analyzing whether it’s possible to cobble together a fall season in defiance of the league’s collective decision...

...The key would be whether there’s something in the Big Ten’s bylaws, which are not public, that would specifically prohibit Nebraska or others from pursuing games in this circumstance....

Didn't know that the B1G's bylaws weren't public, so if there is an out that NU found it's likely media and others wouldn't have picked up on that yet.

• Plus1 1

Not sure where to post this, but other Big 10 sites are suggesting that NU wants out of the Big 10 and is hoping to get booted. The next few weeks will be interesting, but I suspect the academic folks want to stay and NU will remain.

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Ohio State and Michigan will be the drivers.  If they do something Nebraska and Iowa will come along.  It’ll be a strength in numbers deal.

There are teams I bet won’t play no matter what (Minny, Illinois, Rutgers).

I think the the Huskers will play a few games this year.

The decision was made without the approval of the Big Two?  I think it's more likely that no one wants to own up to it. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The decision was made without the approval of the Big Two?  I think it's more likely that no one wants to own up to it. 

I know what you’re saying, but I think if the big dogs change course their might be something to this.

i happen to believe we are in an extreme case of “group think” with a few liability concerns mixed in.  Many don’t want to go out on the ledge because they are afraid they will be the only one standing there.  Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I know what you’re saying, but I think if the big dogs change course their might be something to this.

i happen to believe we are in an extreme case of “group think” with a few liability concerns mixed in.  Many don’t want to go out on the ledge because they are afraid they will be the only one standing there.  Just my opinion.

Just look at how well Nebraska has looked for the past 48 hours standing there. It's no wonder nobody else wants to nut up. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Just look at how well Nebraska has looked for the past 48 hours standing there. It's no wonder nobody else wants to nut up. 

I think NU has benefited greatly by taking a strong stand in support of its athletes and collegiate sports.  A national leader.   People see thru the BS spewing from media talking heads.  They see the bias.  

It will help recruiting imo across all sports.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think NU has benefited greatly by taking a strong stand in support of its athletes and collegiate sports.  A national leader.   People see thru the BS spewing from media talking heads.  They see the bias.  

It will help recruiting imo across all sports.  

I see plenty of negative reception from other fans, but I actually do see mostly positive. 

And the negative that I see, I just don't understand.

Let's be real: conferences aren't cancelling/postponing because they're worried about player health, they're doing so because of players attempting to unionize (and lawsuits if not forming a union and not have their health demands met).

Most universities are falling in line with not having football if it means not having to pay players in the long run. And it's ugly as hell. Nebraska has been on the good side of this topic (being the first athletic program to allow players to benefit from their likeliness). Nebraska continues, if inadvertenly, to be one of, if not the biggest program force, in getting players paid or at least unionized.

All college football fans should be happy about this. This end goal is what almost all fans have wanted. We're forcing the conferences' hands. But I feel at least some college fans are being too quick to judge based off of what a useless ESPN mouthpiece says about it.

I'm very proud of Frost's presser. I'm happy the layers of our athletic program and university are all of the same mindset. I'm happy we are standing for what we feel is right. I couldn't care less about what some useless dips say about Nebraska as long as we do what we feel is right. I just hope more non-Nebraska fans come to realize this (mostly the unionizing bit).

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Reading some message boards from the ACC and SEC.  It sounds like both conferences have reached out to Nebraska and a couple other B1G teams about possibly playing this year.  

I am 100% certain we schedule and play some games this fall.  No way are we going to sit back and watch the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 play a full season while we sit in the corner wearing a dunce hat.  Kevin and his massive ego will have to respond and will most likely move to kick us out of the Big Ten.  Then the legal battle will ensue, which I think we will win (and why our leadership is being so brass in looking for games to play).  I could see Nebraska going Independent for a few years before joining a super conference in the next shake-up.  

For the status quo fans who think this is all business as usual:

download.gif

• Haha 1