2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

25 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

The Big12 doesn't look that good.

Certainly not in some aspects. But what has been highlighted the past couple days is the difference in our culture vs B1G culture. How universities/college towns go about this has pretty much split them into two camps:

1) those who procrastinated and are now too jumping at the chance to be the first ones on the “right side of history”

2) those who are implementing proactive measures and are in, at worst, adequate position to play

The B1G falls into the first group. As does the Pac12 (except they wanted to follow rather than be first).

The Big XII falls into the second. As does Nebraska. This makes the Big XII appealing to some in this way.

Furthermore, the culture of the B1G fanbases right now is generally to shrug and accept this. Lincoln, Nebraska, and much of the athletic program can’t afford to do this economically. To a lesser extent, most of the Big XII is the same way. So while the B1G is lashing us for considering all of the issues important to Nebraska, the Big XII is, in theory, much more understanding.

——

I want to reiterate this is only an observation on culture, and specifically how we view the best way to go about the pandemic in our situations. The Big XII on average only made $40m in tv revenue per school (and it’s not split evenly); the political climate of the Bog XII was and is still an absolute horrorshow; the tv exposure past the pandemic won’t be nearly as good; the level of play in the Big XII is slight worse.

37 minutes ago, Bledred said:

I am 100% certain we schedule and play some games this fall.  No way are we going to sit back and watch the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 play a full season while we sit in the corner wearing a dunce hat.  Kevin and his massive ego will have to respond and will most likely move to kick us out of the Big Ten.  Then the legal battle will ensue, which I think we will win (and why our leadership is being so brass in looking for games to play).  I could see Nebraska going Independent for a few years before joining a super conference in the next shake-up.  

For the status quo fans who think this is all business as usual:

download.gif

I'm all for it but it just looks like posturing.  I can't even tell who decided to cancel the Fall in your conference and what the reasoning process was.  IT looks like everyone was in agreement but no one wanted his picture in the paper as THE MAN WHO CANCELLED FOOTBALL

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Just look at how well Nebraska has looked for the past 48 hours standing there. It's no wonder nobody else wants to nut up. 

The coaches and players would nut up in a heartbeat. Michigan got permission and continues to practice.

41 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Well this is something.

First of all, that email template looks like it's from 1998. Second,  is the "faculty senate"? a thing? Third, I took the survey too, haha.

Edited by runningblind
I voted no, unless they go full Jack Sparrow.

DONU should leave the Big Ten, that is the only move here.  They are stoic and reserved and frankly their willingness to share tv revenue equally among members is stupid.  We should receive tv revenue on a per capita basis (based on number of natty's only).  period.  full stop.  We have to play football.

this is sarcasm

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think NU has benefited greatly by taking a strong stand in support of its athletes and collegiate sports.  A national leader.   People see thru the BS spewing from media talking heads.  They see the bias.  

It will help recruiting imo across all sports.  

BS.  They aren't benefiting anything like that at all.

Nebraska's stance?  It's not innovative.  It's not moving forward as a critical thinker; This isn't leadership and understanding.  

In fact, it's undermining (the boss in front of your peers) and out of touch with realism (the big picture).  

Some people seem WAAAAYYY too obsessed with something they can't have.  (College football with student-athletes)

It's time to take a knee; sit it out; be safe, heal, learn, study, grow and Redshirt this year.  If freshmen are expected to basically do that for you, so can you.  

And if not, then all you are really saying is (in a whinny way):

#FUNCFM - FU-NEBRASKA COLLEGE FOOTBALL MATTERS!!!1
#6-4 OR 5-5 WILL BE WORTH THE CONSEQUENCES!!!1

#I MISS PLAYING KANSAS; AND THE 90'S

#THE B1G AND ESPN DOESN'T LIKE US

I don't mean to get so fired up as I go, but the pandemic is real;  The problems are real;  The world (and USA) is different.  The future is important.  And it's too late to suddenly wake up;  You should be WOKE by now.  Damn

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And if you break it down to individualism you can see that maybe nebraska wants to save there own skin.  I would kill your child if it ment saving mine, some people just think like that.  There is nothing wrong in my opinion in fighting for what makes you move on.  Maybe think this has more to do with what you dont see on the surface.  Maybe its about money, maybe it is about the payers.  But i for one am proud for someone who goes against the grind and tries to be the voice of something different, standing up for what they feel is right.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, admo said:

In fact, it's undermining (the boss in front of your peers) and out of touch with realism (the big picture).  

Does the Big Ten commissioner serve the schools or do the schools serve the commissioner? 

I think most reasonable fans would agree had they presented data, protocols going ahead and a plan for the short-term and long-term future. Where the commissioner's office failed was that the simply called it off, said there were too many uncertainties and offered no support for the plan ahead. I believe that is what irks a large majority of the fanbase.