2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

30 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Does the Big Ten commissioner serve the schools or do the schools serve the commissioner? 

I think most reasonable fans would agree had they presented data, protocols going ahead and a plan for the short-term and long-term future. Where the commissioner's office failed was that the simply called it off, said there were too many uncertainties and offered no support for the plan ahead. I believe that is what irks a large majority of the fanbase. 

I'm sure they did present all of that. I do not doubt the confidence in protocols and safety measurements taken during the summer and future safety plans.

The bottom line is this.  We are not independent from a league (conference) so there must be a chain of command in place; A head boss who ultimately makes the hard decisions for the entire conference to adhere.  Like it or not.  And we can speculate different reason for the decisions and discuss it.  But we must adhere to the rules and be unified with the conference that we signed up for; unless we decide to take action and leave the league..............just for some rogue football during a worldly health crisis/virus/pandemic.  To me it doesn't make sense risking human lives to play ball for couch potato entertainment.  And a majority of people have been keenly aware that there wasn't going to be football this year, since June.  It shouldn't be such a shocker.  It's time to accept what we knew and move on. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

First of all, that email template looks like it's from 1998. Second,  is the "faculty senate"? a thing? Third, I took the survey too, haha.

That's why faculty senates are basically advisory bodies.   I voted for your independence :koolaid2:

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Does the Big Ten commissioner serve the schools or do the schools serve the commissioner? 

I think most reasonable fans would agree had they presented data, protocols going ahead and a plan for the short-term and long-term future. Where the commissioner's office failed was that the simply called it off, said there were too many uncertainties and offered no support for the plan ahead. I believe that is what irks a large majority of the fanbase. 

That's why I like independence.

Also why I'm somewhat impressed that my state came forward with actual benchmarks for school reopening instead of the usual political platitudes.  

• Plus1 1

Yeah we took some slings and arrows from bootlickers like Paul Finebaum and professional functioning idiot Desmond Howard but there is a little bit of a silver lining and that if nothing else, this has united Nebraska.  It's truly now an us against the world mentality and I'm personally proud as hell to see leadership from the top all the way down to the fans be in lock step.  I hope the Huskers have filled their hearts with hate and will use it as fuel going forward whenever the season commences.

Note--I'm fully on board with everything Covid-19 related, I'm simply stating/venting this from a football standpoint only on this particular thought.

I stumbled upon this article that does a nice job of building on the sentiment that I think a lot of us are feeling:

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/a-canceled-fall-football-season-hurts-us-all-cant-help-but-think-how-hurts-nebraska/

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, admo said:

I'm sure they did present all of that. I do not doubt the confidence in protocols and safety measurements taken during the summer and future safety plans.

Actually, they didn't provide any plan or data which was the criticism coming from Ohio State's coach. The SEC commissioner mocked the Big Ten by saying 'I can't wait to see the data the Big Ten used to reach their conclusion of canceling the season.' The Big Ten presented no plan when they canceled the fall season on Tuesday. It was a total failure in leadership from the commissioner's office. 

Please understand that I fully believe we'll accept our fate and stay in the conference. I am not suggesting we go independent. I would just like a transparent commissioner's office that can justify decisions with facts (data) versus deciding based on emotions or political pressures.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Actually, they didn't provide any plan or data which was the criticism coming from Ohio State's coach. The SEC commissioner mocked the Big Ten by saying 'I can't wait to see the data the Big Ten used to reach their conclusion of canceling the season.' The Big Ten presented no plan when they canceled the fall season on Tuesday. It was a total failure in leadership from the commissioner's office. 

Please understand that I fully believe we'll accept our fate and stay in the conference. I am not suggesting we go independent. I would just like a transparent commissioner's office that can justify decisions with facts (data) versus deciding based on emotions or political pressures.

This is such a great point. If the B1G had come out and said we decided not to play because we didn't have answers or solutions to these specific problems and we are concerned about these specific risks people would have been more open. Instead they just bumbled around "health of student athletes" which is vague nonsense and have yet to present a compelling reason not to play when others say they can. The B1G has bumbled this across the board and people have every right to be upset.

• Plus1 1

I wonder if #wewanttoplay concerned them a lot more than the covid?  Could we possibly be witnessing a dramatic change in amateur sports?  It would seem if there was ever a chance for a semi-pro developmental league to flourish, now would be the time.   

3 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I wonder if #wewanttoplay concerned them a lot more than the covid?  Could we possibly be witnessing a dramatic change in amateur sports?  It would seem if there was ever a chance for a semi-pro developmental league to flourish, now would be the time.   

I don't see that as a big factor in their decision. We very well may be witnessing a dramatic change in that several sports are likely to be cut from universities across the country. Title IX will also become a bigger issue as universities try to make the financial and male-to-female scholarship numbers work. 

This would be a very poor time for players to whine about being paid by their universities IMO. 

11 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m saying bullsh1t on this.

Theres just no way they’d be doing a glorified survey monkey on a multi million dollar decision.

This is ridiculous.

Just because it's amateurish doesn't mean it's BS.

This was the faculty throwing together a very ad-hoc attempt to show their support for staying in the conference.

6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Just because it's amateurish doesn't mean it's BS.

This was the faculty throwing together a very ad-hoc attempt to show their support for staying in the conference.

You can call it whatever you want.  At the end of the day it's meaningless.

It's like going on Facebook and doing a change.org campaign.  Translation: waste of time.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, beastieboat said:

I feel bad for us.  No football. Leaving the Big 12 just keeps haunting us. 2021 spring ball.. Big Red Spring! March madness!

No it doesn't. We're raking in tens of millions of dollars more than we did in that crackpot league. We play more blue-bloods in this conference than they have. We have access to amazing educational opportunities that the Big XII couldn't even think of offering.

There is no scenario where we would be better off in the Big XII today than the Big Ten.  The Faculty Senate overwhelmingly showed that, and that's just based on academics.

Let's not judge our conference based solely on football. It may be the chief sport, but it's not the chief reason we're in the Big Ten. 

• Plus1 8
15 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Well this is something.

Completely dumb move doing this survey at this juncture.  Now it appears NU may have been considering a move, which I think they weren’t.  Not a great look.  Now we have to come out and deny there was ever any consideration of leaving.   Otherwise it gives credence to what the ESPN d-bags were saying.   SMH. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Well this is something.

I have a hard time believing this is really from Nicole Baun.  Poor grammar, "30 secs", etc.  Either it is fake, or it was unsolicited from anyone with any say so.  No way Green, Carter, Moos, or anyone else actually planned to use this type of data to make a decision.  The fact people tweeted it out like it was some type of official survey by the University itself really makes us look dumb.  

(At least I pray it wasn't legit...that's even scarier)

• Plus1 1