Taking a walk on the bright side

Some positives to come out of this entire ordeal:

This showed the unity of our athletic department and the UNL administration. In contrast, the past week showed some universities in the conference do not share the same unity of purpose. Though some divides might be minor, sometimes all it takes one cog in the wheel to disrupt success (ie - Harvey Perlman). The past two days were the most in sync the fanbase, administration and athletic department have been since Frost's hiring. 

We were the talk of football nationally for the past two days. Sure, in many cases we were mocked as a school with an over-inflated sense of importance. However, if we weren't relevant to the national media, why did they feel the need to tell us we weren't important? As much as our on-field success has been lacking the past several years, we're still a national brand despite how hard some media members want to downplay Nebraska's relevance.

Nebraska's willingness to be different strikes a cord with football loving communities, especially in the South. I believe this will bear fruit in the future with recruitment of athletes in the South as we have been working to establish roots for years. The big criticism from the Southern communities for years was that the Big Ten craved Rose Bowls over National Championships and weren't committed to football. Going to be harder to dispute that now, except for Nebraska. Sure the SEC, ACC and Big 12 may eventually cave into political pressure to postpone the season but Nebraska has made it's mark already. 

Though I believe we will toe the conference line in staying while looking forward to the spring football "season" fiasco, the resolve to punish every conference team going forward has only strengthened. Some might say the Big Ten will punish Nebraska for this by giving us a hard schedule ... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but take a look at our schedule next year where the only power player we aren't playing is Penn State. It can be argued that the Big Ten has been trying to put Nebraska through the gauntlet since we arrived almost a decade ago. Thankfully, we have the fortitude in our leadership positions to take a stand for what we feel is right in the face of adversity. 

"Don't ever make decisions based on fear" - Michelle Obama
^^ I bet you didn't expect to see a Michelle Obama quote on this post ^^

GBR

• Plus1 8

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

This showed the unity of our athletic department and the UNL administration.

This cannot be understated. We have not enjoyed this unity of purpose since Osborne retired. Moving forward, this is going to make a huge difference in the direction of this program.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

I agree with the OP.  I love it that with the coaches and players united behind the administration and the administration clearly knows their feelings and voted as such.  We are finally a united University and fan base.

Now...yes...I believe we will ultimately do what the conference has voted to do.  But, I have no problem with them expressing their feelings.  I also don't think any of it has been done in a disrespectful manner to the conference, even though it appears Warren didn't like it.  Everyone should have the freedom to express how they feel in this situation...and the coaches and players have.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

During a year when so many people in charge of everything from our country to the NCAA to our conference have done nothing but fiddle their thumbs during the entirety of the pandemic, our administration has shown initiative.

In a conference with a new incompetent leader embarrassing his way through botched interviews, our head coach kicked a$$ and took names in his interview.

----

Regardless of my take or your take on Nebraska's stance, I feel the initiative and well-prepared pressers are things of which we should be proud.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That type of thinking is a poison and the coach should be fired.

I am taking a bit of a leap in assuming you are referring to Bo and his last few years? To be fair, his outrage was against his bosses first and foremost. It did turn on local media and disapproving fans though which obviously were not good.

This Nebraska at odds with the Big Ten over this issue is quite a contrast with the entire administration and athletic department working in lock step together in all communications. It's quite refreshing to have the same message being passed across the entire chain. Doesn't seem as combustible as the situations at other schools. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

This cannot be understated. We have not enjoyed this unity of purpose since Osborne retired. Moving forward, this is going to make a huge difference in the direction of this program.

Even more proud of the Huskers. Frost simply had the courage to say what a lot were thinking.  Saw the Big XII's protocols....That conference has got their sh!t together for Covid.

• Plus1 1