The season was canceled because, despite five months to work things out, the Big Ten had no plan for player safety

knapplc

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Look at this guy flooding the board with his six posts in 14 years. :D

Don't be a stranger!

So, a guy that has been here for years, that may or may not view the board on regular basis, that rarely posts should be called out and shamed.. Gotcha!! :thumbs

@bigredjeff knapplc does these things from love.. Hence his emoji, don't take it personal its @knapplc (We luv you too Knapp) :wub:

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

So, a guy that has been here for years, that may or may not view the board on regular basis, that rarely posts should be called out and shamed.. Gotcha!! :thumbs

@bigredjeff knapplc does these things from love.. Hence his emoji, don't take it personal its @knapplc (We luv you too Knapp) :wub:

I thought it was pretty clear I was welcoming him and joking about it.  :dunno

• Plus1 3

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I read his very long and detailed background story / resume’ when looking up who the Big Ten commish was recently.   My reaction was - the guy moves from job to job, school to school, etc all too frequently to impress me.  He has done many things many places but has little or NO college admin experience.  He likely has little real feel for how ADs and collegiate orgs function etc.  

He may be a very bright man but he has been AWOL on the whole mess.  He is a rookie in the job and seems to be trying to get in front of the mob instead of lead it.  imo

He is a man intent on being the head of the NFL.  I hope the mob catches his lazy a$$ soon.

5 hours ago, Enhance said:

You bring up an excellent point. I guess my counter or Devil's Advocate question would be... why not admit that?

The question is a bit rhetorical by nature; but, if you're the B1G and you hypothetically busted your a$$ for months to develop some kind of plan to make football work, why not hold a press conference to talk about it and answer questions? At the moment, the appearance is that they've done very little outside of a) converging with their lawyers about the potential lawsuit risks and b) referencing some of the standard/canned medical guidance provided by the CDC/WHO.

To be clear, I'm not saying the B1G's decision is entirely without base. It just feels a bit lacking overall.

I was just trying to do a bit of Devil's advocating myself. Probably being a bit too generous towards the conference in so doing.

I think you're probably correct that they don't have some grand plan cooked up. If they did, Warren certainly hasn't wanted to get into details.

Should they have had an extensive plan? Of course.

At the same time, I'm someone who has for some time been gradually resigning myself to the fact college football was increasingly unlikely this fall. I still don't think it will and IF conditions with the virus don't take a massive step forward in the next month or two (also unlikely) and IF the remaining P5 conferences decide to go ahead anyway I think it could get very dicey.

So I guess I'm just not as upset as others if they collectively waited to see whether virus conditions improved over the spring and ultimately pulled the ripcord without extensive planning when things didn't get better.

10 hours ago, 308_Husker said:

Warren can go f#&% himself. His failure to plan FOR 5 MONTHS is punishing the players and coaches that have worked so hard to keep everybody safe so far. No team has the perfect plan, but AT LEAST THEY HAVE A PLAN.

Now, he's saying if we go to another conference for one year, then we have to leave the conference forever. 

He's punishing programs for his lack of planning and then threatening punishment for those same programs trying to do anything to salvage a season.

He can go jump off a bridge.

The more I think about this I wouldn’t mind ditching the BIG.  Other sports leagues are managing through this and if the SEC, Big 12, and ACC play then the BIG is going to be set back.