The season was canceled because, despite five months to work things out, the Big Ten had no plan for player safety

knapplc

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Joining the Big 10 was a no-brainer. Ditching the BIg 10 is equally stupid. 

It's not just about football, or a single season that has screwed up everybody. 

I can't imagine a worse scenario than Nebraska forcing the situation to set up a new schedule - say they get games with some ACC/SEC/Big XII teams as well as, say NDSU.  Then, by late September/early October the season gets shutdown so Nebraska still loses most of the revised TV money.

Meanwhile the Big Ten expels Nebraska and the Big XII says no thanks. That would demonstrate really poor planning.  The only way you risk that is if you already know the Big XII will take you on a contingency basis.  I suppose that is possible, but not the greatest way to set the stage going back to a conference that you previously left just 10 years ago.

I suppose Nebraska might possibly get some going away money, depending on how the bylaws read for expelling a member.

I would think the level of risk aversion within the upper reaches of UNL is going to avoid that kind of a scenario.  Publicly embarrassing, financially damaging, and academically disastrous.  All to play maybe a couple of games? They may get a 10 game schedule with the other teams doing the +1, but what are realistically the chances the whole season gets played by anyone?

Nebraska is going to lose a lot of money this year.  So will (most likely) every other team.  Certainly all other Big Ten/Pac 12 teams will. 

15 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

I can't imagine a worse scenario than Nebraska forcing the situation to set up a new schedule - say they get games with some ACC/SEC/Big XII teams as well as, say NDSU.  Then, by late September/early October the season gets shutdown so Nebraska still loses most of the revised TV money.

Meanwhile the Big Ten expels Nebraska and the Big XII says no thanks. That would demonstrate really poor planning.  The only way you risk that is if you already know the Big XII will take you on a contingency basis.  I suppose that is possible, but not the greatest way to set the stage going back to a conference that you previously left just 10 years ago.

I suppose Nebraska might possibly get some going away money, depending on how the bylaws read for expelling a member.

I would think the level of risk aversion within the upper reaches of UNL is going to avoid that kind of a scenario.  Publicly embarrassing, financially damaging, and academically disastrous.  All to play maybe a couple of games? They may get a 10 game schedule with the other teams doing the +1, but what are realistically the chances the whole season gets played by anyone?

Nebraska is going to lose a lot of money this year.  So will (most likely) every other team.  Certainly all other Big Ten/Pac 12 teams will. 

So are you willing to personally donate about $1300 this year along with 75000 other season ticket holders to raise the 100 million lost by not playing sports?   

That is what it will take basically.  

I imagine a fraction, maybe 20% of those, will donate that much to NOT have Husker sports.  Still gonna take some real $ magic.  

How much will the Big Ten lose now?   Does Big Ten now default / breach their TV deals and owe big penalties as well?   

It is clearly a fiscal disaster that may take a decade to recover from and how many athletes and or sports do we lose for long term?   And unless things change, the scenario may repeat next year.   The virus is not likely to just go away. Vaccines are maybe 50/50 chance and be only 50% effective.  It could take 6 months to vaccinate everybody if and when we find one.  

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

So are you willing to personally donate about $1300 this year along with 75000 other season ticket holders to raise the 100 million lost by not playing sports?   

I imagine a fraction, maybe 20% of those, will donate that much to NOT have Husker sports.  Still gonna take some real $ magic.  

How much will the Big Ten lose now?   Does Big Ten now default / breach their TV deals and owe big penalties as well?   

It is clearly a fiscal disaster that may take a decade to recover from and how many athletes and or sports do we lose for long term?   

Nebraska is one of the richest schools in the country. If they can't sustain it for 1 season (or 1 postponed season), fine, do whatever they can to not go under. But I find it unlikely that's the scenario we're facing. So yes, it's extremely stupid and risky to piss off the conference for 1 fraction of a season.

It's going to take a long time but we can recover from 1 lost season. Leaving the B1G or risking getting kicked out would likely be a disaster.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nebraska is one of the richest schools in the country. If they can't sustain it for 1 season (or 1 postponed season), fine, do whatever they can to not go under. But I find it unlikely that's the scenario we're facing. So yes, it's extremely stupid and risky to piss off the conference for 1 fraction of a season.

If the Big Ten expels us for playing sports when they chose not, what is their damages?   How has the Big Ten suffered any loss ?   Answer:  they have no loss.  To expel wrongfully / maliciously would likely give NU damages from the Big Ten. imo. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's going to take a long time but we can recover from 1 lost season. Leaving the B1G or risking getting kicked out would likely be a disaster.

Yep. And that's pretty much "/thread."

Now I'm turning to what rules are allowed for practicing, workouts, etc. I'm hoping we can take full advantage of what will be allowed and that Frost will motivate the guys to do everything they can to be ready for next year.

27 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It is clearly a fiscal disaster that may take a decade to recover from and how many athletes and or sports do we lose for long term?   And unless things change, the scenario may repeat next year.   The virus is not likely to just go away. Vaccines are maybe 50/50 chance and be only 50% effective.  It could take 6 months to vaccinate everybody if and when we find one.  

The scenario I was talking about was deciding to play, getting kicked out and then having games get shutdown and still losing the money, along with conference affiliation.  In that scenario I doubt my $1300 would make much of a difference.

As soon as the Big Ten said they were shutting down, the loss became real.  It looks like NU made some preliminary exploration of how to mitigate some of that loss - which is prudent.  Maybe don't say anything publicly, but nothing wrong with checking all options.  Once the Warren made his statement the next day, it was time to re-evaluate. 

It doesn't mean they still won't try, but my thought is only because they've mitigated the risk as much as possible - by knowing they can go to the Big XII starting in 2021.

Virus risk is a whole additional issue.  Yeah, if we don't figure out how to move forward this will basically destroy college sports.  In some ways, with the movement toward quasi-unionization (not sure how real that is yet) things were going to change anyway, at least for football, maybe basketball.

The combination of pandemic, players banding together, and expansion of player benefits, college sports and college football in particular will probably be very different five years from now.  This is probably the largest upheaval to college sports since they were formed. 

In that scenario, I think going for maximum academic benefit (staying in the Big Ten even with a large financial loss to athletics this year) is the most prudent choice.

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Leaving everything the Big 10 delivers to the entire university over a single football season?

Batting our eyelashes at an inferior Big 12 that already chased us away? 

WTF, Husker fans? 

Unfortunately, the Village Idiots have keyboards and social media now. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Now I'm turning to what rules are allowed for practicing, workouts, etc. I'm hoping we can take full advantage of what will be allowed and that Frost will motivate the guys to do everything they can to be ready for next year.

Normally we have to wait until November to talk about missing out on extra practices and being ready for next year.

• Haha 1

Say what you will.  I liked that we supported our team and looked for real options on what could be done.  Meanwhile the BIG had zero plan.  And now Desmond Howard is bashing us saying we owe a public apology and then he’d kick our a$$ out of the BIG still? Really?  How about the BIG offers an apology due to their poor handling of the situation offering no real medical information as to why the teams couldn’t proceed throwing up hands because of too many unknowns?  Damn, college football players are at nearly zero risk.   You gotta come up with a better plan than that.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1